Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem with my electribe em-1!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jasenmcjasen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Problem with my electribe em-1!!! Reply with quote

my friend came over to jam recently and plugged a wrong power adapter into my electribe em-1 and it crackled a little and wouldn't turn on even after using the proper power adapter. Could using a wrong power adapter have fried the motherboard or perhaps I blew some kind of fuse? Is there somewhere I could send it to get it checked out? I am very bummed to loose months of work and a great machine.
PureSecksPirate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, open it up and look at where the power jack plug meets the pcb. Turn it over and look at the solder points. If they are brown discolored, then just the power jack is blown, which is great! I recently bought a es1 that wouldn't power up for cheap, took it home and ordered a new part&knew power adapter, soldered it in and it fired right up!

If you don't know how to solder, ask around and see if someone could replace it for some beer. If you decide to do it your self shoot me a message and I'll go into more detail of how to get it replaced.

Take pics while you tear down, it helps. Also take a pic of the jack if it's brown on the leads.
thesigma

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the polarity of the other adaptor was reversed, you could have blown a diode or some resistor or other component. Same if the voltage was way higher. If you heard crackling, that's a good sign something fried....

Likely an easy repair if you have soldering and electronics skills, otherwise repair shops are not cheap....
Jasenmcjasen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the points where the power jack meet the board are slightly less metallic than the rest of the points on the board but i think thats just because i want them to be... i will most likely replace the jack in hopes that it is the problem Sad

if something was fried, how would i go about assessing what needs replacing? use a multimeter to test all the components? i do have some electronical/soldering experience so i prefer not to send it in. would using a wrong power adapter with a higher voltage/wrong polarity fry the entire board or just componets on it?
thesigma

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jasenmcjasen wrote:
the points where the power jack meet the board are slightly less metallic than the rest of the points on the board but i think thats just because i want them to be... i will most likely replace the jack in hopes that it is the problem Sad

if something was fried, how would i go about assessing what needs replacing? use a multimeter to test all the components? i do have some electronical/soldering experience so i prefer not to send it in. would using a wrong power adapter with a higher voltage/wrong polarity fry the entire board or just componets on it?

Start at the piwer jack and test the components tracing until you find something wrong. Id suspect diodes first, capacitors rwsistors or voltage regulator could also go. It would take a seriously high voltage or current to trash the whole board.

Usually there is a diode to protect against reverse polarity.
Avskum

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This exact thing just happened to me. I heard the crackling noise, this would indicate that it was only the power point that was fried?
JohnWick7

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a very useful idea to the public.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: