Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kross is great!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stratquebec

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya that would be an annoying limitation Confused
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to check the manual on this one ... And it says you have full access to the FX. I'll have to visit the store to confirm I guess.
stratquebec

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For most of the built-in sounds of the KROSS, a modulation effect such as chorus is assigned to MFX1, and a reverb-type effect to MFX2. This button lets you temporarily cancel these effects in a single action.

Quote from the manual. No good news for that matter.
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratquebec wrote:
Quote:
For most of the built-in sounds of the KROSS, a modulation effect such as chorus is assigned to MFX1, and a reverb-type effect to MFX2. This button lets you temporarily cancel these effects in a single action.

Quote from the manual. No good news for that matter.

That quote is from the Operations Guide which is a quick easy reference. The quote is referring to factory presets. Dig into the Parameter Guide and I think you will find that there is no restriction. Again I may be wrong but the full EDS engine supports this and is quite flexible.
stratquebec

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Insert effect 1 can use the effects S01: Stereo Compressor– S63: Rotary Speaker and D00: St.Mltband Limiter–D10: Rotary SpeakerOD.
Insert effects 2–4 can use the effects S01: Stereo Compressor–S61: AmpSim - Tremolo and D00: St.Mltband Limiter–D09: Vocoder.
Insert effect 5 can use the effects S01: Stereo Compressor– S61: AmpSim - Tremolo.

Quote:
Master effect 1 can use the effects S01: Stereo Compressor– S87: Phaser- Cho/Flng and D00: St.Mltband Limiter–D13: Early Reflections.
Master effect 2 can use the effects S01: Stereo Compressor– S120: Reverb- Gate.

Unfortunatly, no chorus or reverb in the IFXs. My triton Le is more versatile than the Kross as far as IFXs are concerned. Not really a deal breaker to me otoh.

Anyway, many of this Kross's presets sound great!
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bald Eagle,

Yep, limitations. AFAIK with my limited knowledge creating a phaser is similar to creating a chorus so I don't know why they made these limitations. And yes, I am sure about these limitations. There IS a "chorus" but it is the organ chorus/vibrato in an IFX but it doesn't sound like the chorus we want.
So you cannot have a long delay into reverb at all with the Kross.
Rudeman84

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imho you can use Reverb and Chorus as MFX?!
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Chorus and Reverb as MFX is fine. But you cannot have delay->Reverb or delay and reverb.
You cannot use chorus in IFX either.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one thing that amazes me is that I cannot hear much note stealing going on. It MUST be happening, but the dynamic allocation must be good. I'm going to look forward to using this on a few gigs, but truthfully, I don't save much time or weight overall since I usually bring only one keyboard anyway. The Kross will mainly be for off-island gigs.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still loving the Kross but I now do agree with others that I wish the keyboard was more of a normal Kronos or Yamaha DX7 type keyboard.
When I played a Juno G, the keyboard would make my hands tired. It was due to some kind of spring action. I realized after playing a fairly long gig, the Kross has the same result. People are right-when playing closer to the panel of the keyboard, it's harder to press the keys.

Sound-wise, this thing is great. I got a lot of great sounds I wish I had on my Kronos. Also the arp and the drum track are so good!
I am still having a lot of fun with this keyboard. Glad I bought it!
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started looking more closely at the Kross as a lightweight, inexpensive travel keyboard for casual use. But it still bothers me that it has a crippled EDS engine. I can't imagine why (other than marketing reasons) they would do this. I'll have to see what other limitations there are.

The inferior keybed is understandable given the price range so I could justify and accept that. Is the Krome keybed any better?
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't look at the Krome - although I did play it a little. I can't remember.
The Kross is totally fine as a 2nd keyboard or traveling keyboard. I made the right choice - but enjoying it so much that I wish the keybed was a little better. It's a fun keyboard for taking on a gig due to the arp and the drum track and the crazy sounds you can make very easily on it.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK found out even more cool stuff.
Every program can have an arpeggiator - these arp have useful bass lines etc..
Drum machine like sequencer - VERY useful for creating drum grooves with each pad being 16th note steps.
Also a Drum Track like the Kronos

Plus, you can plug in your guitar in the Mic in (should be line in mono) as well.
Yes, the Kronos can do all of this, but the way the Kross is laid out is so very simple.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a big limitation - you cannot see tempo value when in favorite mode. This means you cannot set it visually.
Also, there is no way to knudge a tempo faster or slower once it is playing. The tempo knob seems to be absolute in position.
raurelio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings to everyone.
I'm trying to decide a change from Korg TR into Kross, so I try to take attention to the great posts about the Kross here.
About the missing effects mentioned here (the delay/reverb thing), couldn't it be a topic to send a 'request' to Korg so that could add it on a next firmware update ? Maybe they could be 'receptive' to such idea... if many people complains about the same, maybe it would have some effect ...
Well, the same could go for other reasonable stuff, maybe.
Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: