Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yes... Its freezing again!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
charic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:00 pm    Post subject: Yes... Its freezing again!! Reply with quote

Had my korg m50 61 for around 5 years. In that time it's been back for repair 3 times for the same thing.. The sodding freezing issue.

Its back again though and I'm really worried about the dreaded 'out of warranty' message back from korg. Now, I've been pushing for a replacement since the first time this went wrong to no avail. Surely the keyboard isn't actually fit for purpose..

Any ideas how to proceed? I've finally got a band that's going places with regular gigs but I'm struggling to trust my keyboard.
Lenster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: M50-61 Freezing - welcome to the club ! Reply with quote

Yes, my M50-61 continues to freeze as well. Since I gig almost every weekend, I am not in favor of sending it out for service.

Here is what I do which seems to reduce the freeze ups - at least I can get thru a gig now:
As I am setting up for a gig, I prepare my keyboard stand and as I place the M50 on the stand, I pick it up about 8 inches and let it drop hard onto the stand, I do it two or three times, much to the horror of my band mates.

That seems to fix it. The only problem is that eventually it will not like getting slammed any more.

I'll tell you that I have had it serviced a few years ago, new capacitors and a software update. The freezing came back after about 2 months.
I have taken it apart on my dining room table and used Electronics contact cleaner on every contact point. It did not help, but I noticed it looked very clean - no oxidation anywhere.

Friends have urged me to contact Korg Customer Support. I just did that (again) minutes ago. After several menus and transfers, I was told to seek support on the web site. There is no person to talk to. Arrrgh !

So I share your frustration and like you, I welcome any other advice, except for the "buy a new synth" responses. Let me know if you learn anything else on this. Thanks. - Lenster
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the reason the 'falling' of the keyboard makes some connectors 'attach', but it is not advisable for other components.

The best solution probably is to remove the house, deattach all cables close in range, and reattach them tightly.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Lenster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I did do that, and it helped. I used it on a gig Saturday night, and it never froze. So the lesson learned is . . .when it freezes again, re-seat the connections again. Thanks everyone for the support.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lenster wrote:
Yes, I did do that, and it helped. I used it on a gig Saturday night, and it never froze. So the lesson learned is . . .when it freezes again, re-seat the connections again. Thanks everyone for the support.

Glad it helped ... I have to do the same with mine m50 since it also freezes within minutes.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Lenster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that part of the problem is the design.
All of the connectors are hanging upside-down and gravity wins eventually.

As an aside note, I tried using two jacks to my amp, for left and right, even though I am not doing it for stereo effect. I just wanted to see if the organ rotary sound is better for the Prog banks, and it is.

I discovered that many of the organ patches in the Prog banks allow the control knobs to act as drawbars. Not all, but some. The rotary effect is more gradual and not excessively fast.

I probably should have started a new thread for this. Sorry. - L
Lenster

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as a follow- up, since a ll the above conversation, the M50 started locking up again and in frustration one night I punched it and smashed the touch screen. So I ordered a new touch screen and carefully installed it. Surprisingly many months passed and it worked perfectly . . . until just a few weeks ago, and it's back to the old lockups again.

I don't feel like opening it up every few weeks just to re-seat the connections. That is silly. I am done with it.

I now just want to get rid of it. So I just submitted a new post in this forum saying that I am willing to sell it for parts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: