Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Roli releases Seaboard Rise
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomto66

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject: Roli releases Seaboard Rise Reply with quote

For those interested in new/versatile midi controllers: Roli releases the Seaboard Rise: like a 2-octave Seaboard, with additional expression options (slide, glide strike, press, lift), but minus the internal sound engine. Battery powered, midi over bluetooth and priced at 800 euros.

Details here:
http://roli.com
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Roli Grand Stage a few weeks ago, and although it's going to take me a few months to really learn to play it properly (you have to hit the apex of each key bang-on centre or there are pitch issues and it needs a little practice), I have to say , it is jaw-dropping.

Here's what you get:

- Polyphonic aftertouch
- Polyphonic left-right movement (usually applied to polyphonic pitch-bend)
- Polyphonic forward-back movement on each key

Each of these can be mapped to any parameter on any plugin

But it doesn't end there. I don't know how they do it - but - the device also has what is equivalent (on my 61 note device) to 61 ribbon controllers below the keyboard and 61 ribbon controllers above the keyboard.

Effectively - it means that no matter where on the 'ribbon' area you move your finger from, left or right - you get ribbon control from that location, poly-phonically - both above and below the keyboard - mappable to any MIDI CC number or plugin parameter! Mapped to Ring Modulator depth and rate and similar parameters - it's wondrous.

You get all of that on the Rise too, but what I love about the Rise is the white line on each 'black' key (I really wish I had that on the Grand Stage) - that will help with pitch accuracy - and the other controllers to the left of the keybed - and while the Seaboard Grand Stage cost me 3000 Euro (!), this is $799 - and (to us existing Seaboard owners there's a 30% discount valid till 31st December Smile ). Though I just got the Grand Stage, I'm tempted, very tempted !
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally seaboard for soloing instruments, and in a format that allows you to add it to your keyset..

- 88 key paino lower
- 61 or 73 organ/synth upper
- seaboard Rise top right solo position

tough i would have preferred a 37 key version ...
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree - 24 keys seems a little restrictive.

but when you touch and feel this thing, you understand the economics involved and probably 24 keys at that price is all they could manage.

It feels like some advanced alien technology, and looks like it's derived from stealth-technology Smile

Staggering technology, from control capabilities to the materials used!
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting, but IMHO Continuum is still a cooler thing.
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How difficult is it to set up for use with a Kronos. Can you take advantage of all features or is it geared towards the Equator software?
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@EvilDragon - Haken Contimuum is amazing too. No argument there.

@Bald Eagle - I haven't linked it up to my OASYS yet but I'm anticipating BIG things because each of OASYS's (and KRONOS's!) synth engines are truly polyphonic - as in (as just one example) - for each of the 4 LFO's in each synth engine it's 4 LFO's per voice - so if AL-1 is 80 note polyphonic, that's 80 times 4 LFO's.

Hence - you can control the LFO depth and rate of each LFO polyphonically - and with AMS - this is going to be an extraordinary sound design and performance capability.

Or - imagine controlling the FM harmonic content of each operator of a given algorithm - per - voice - in MOD-7. this is DX1 territory (I own a DX1 and it's polyphonic aftertouch means that you can control the harmonic content of the sound on a per-note basis) - and frankly it brings FM into a new dimension of expressiveness that borders on virtual acoustic in quality and control. FM synthesis and polyphonic aftertouch / control are a match made in heaven.

So the ROLI (and Continuum - and indeed QuNexus and X-Key) polyphonic controllers are ideal for OASYS / Kronos if you are into the synth engines and willing to do some configuration.

Its ironic to think that the vast polyphonic synth engine of all synth engines on the OASYS and Kronos are inaccessible on the actual instruments themselves - but the likes of Roli unleashes that potential. They make the OASYS/Kronos an utterly different sound design and performance experience. But the standard OASYs/Kronos has all that potential, locked away and unusable to the owner of the instrument. To me, insane, and a waste.

I have always been disappointed that Korg went to the bother of designing their synth engines with such phenomenal polyphonic capability, yet have never offered a polyphonic after touch version of either the OASYS and Kronos.

Even if offered as a limited edition, for say a $1000 more, many would have bought them, I'm sure. I'm sure the economics never allowed for it, but it's a great pity.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they marketing these and distributing them on their own? I have been wanting a very portable controller like this as I still use my qunexus but never did bond with it for anything needing velocity and the sweet spot is not the same on each pad.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They sell them directly from their web site - that's how I bought mine - but they have secured distributers too.

I have found them a remarkable company to deal with. At the time of ordering they were offering a quite substantial sale price for one month. I asked them if I could lay a 10% deposit down and pay the remainder sale price 6 months later because I was getting a vintage synth restored.

They agreed - because I was getting a vintage synth restored !! - and held the very keen sale price over for me for 6 months.

If you visit their web site go tot their personnel page and check them out. They are all scary talented! The support person I was dealing with has a remarkable bio - I can't quite remember but I think either he's a mountaineer or a speed cyclist, and did the music for something like 24 short movies in 48 hours or something like that.

anyway - they are a remarkable, innovative bunch of really, really talented people. I wish them great success - they seem to have the perfect combination of great people, innovative products and smart marketing. I hope they can be sustainable into the long term future.

Very interesting company altogether!
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There however is a 37 key version of the Roli grand, but that offcourse doesnt have the nice controlls to the left of the Rise..
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am actually kind of excited about this but I do wish it was 37keys. I will not let that stop me from buying this as soon as I can. I think it would be great to travel with as long as it's velocity is more useable then my current travel board.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euoNphLUvxU

I like this vid, I also see Sweetwater carries them so as soon as the miniature is paid off this will go on three pay!
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

37 key version for 999 might be interesting.

But they should probably move their asses about and make Equator as a Windows plugin too.
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Seaboard RISE looks great, I want one too, but according to ROLI Support: "At the moment the RISE will need to be paired with a computer to host the software. It will be possible to send the MIDI data on via a MIDI interface from the computer, but standalone USB operation is not yet implemented" (from a private email dated 9/11/15). So at least for now, it doesn't look like you can just plug the RISE into the KRONOS (or any hardware synth's) USB port and use it as an external MIDI controller, you need a computer between them...not so good at bar gigs...

df
tomto66

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@EvilDragon - I got an email from Roli today clarifying the Windows situation.

There are 2 versions of Equator. The one for the Rise does run on windows.

A version for the Seaboard is expected in the next 2 months or so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: