Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Very important

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Extreme or Motif?
Extreme
93%
 93%  [ 15 ]
Motif
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 16

Seb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Very important Reply with quote

Give your opinion between Korg triton extreme and Yamaha Motif.
Cheers.
Seb
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asking to choose between Motif and Extreme on a Korg board and the same question on a Yamaha board. What do you think your answer will be ?

Rolling Eyes
JohnnyAardvark
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its also a question that been thrown around Korg, Yamaha and Roland boards for some time now.

Its worth your while searching this and other Korg, Roland, Yamaha forums for "Extreme Motif Fantom" (and comninations of) to get opinions.

I asked the same question myself, before purchasing. Its understandable when making investments like this, but from your other posts you already own an Extreme?

I voted.... Extreme of course!! Would love a Motif to spend some time with though!

Steve
Gear and Knowledge Areas: Triton EX88, Alesis Micron, Kawai K4, Moog Sub 37, Elektron A4, Dave Smith Prophet Rev 2, Modal Craft Synth, Dreadbox Erebus V3, PO32, Cubase 9.5 Pro, Reason 10, Various (oops shedloads of) softsynths
My Music and Collaborations : https://soundcloud.com/essjay88
Seb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys....
Yes I already do own an extreme...but I've listened to some demos of the Motif and I thought they are pretty good.No harm in keeping an open mind.I might be getting a Motif rack.Who knows what santy will bring me this year Very Happy
cheers
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having both with give you a broader pallette of sounds and both have complimentary pros/cons apparently. Alternately get something like Access Virus Classic or TI for a slightly different kind of sound. What kind of music do you make ?

Daz.
Seb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah thats a good idea Daz.... I am involved in different kinds of music ranging from classical(orchestral), pop, jazz, rock , hip hop, latin, and so on.Not a dance(tekno) fan tho.
I don't really know if it would be of benefit to me or mearly just a waste of money should I say.. buying a Motif rack.Wat do you think?
What are the sound characteristics of Access Virus or TI?I haven't really played them.
Thanx for everythin'
Cheers Wink
cnegrad
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question is too vague. It's like asking which you like better; a hammer or a wrench. Both are tools, but each has it's own strengths and weaknesses. The answer lies in what type of music you make, and where your subjective tastes lie.

Our Jazz CD: The Deanna Jones Orchestra: "Very First Dance"
http://www.deannajones.com

Our Christian CD: Jacob's Journey: "A Feather In His Hand"
http://www.jacobsjourney.com
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Access Virus family of synths are more "synthy" than the Extreme or Motif ... check 'em out :

http://www.accessmusic.de

... they are maybe more geared towards dance genres. I just wanted to throw something different into the pot, as the Extreme and Motif are similar kind of animals.

The thing that people traditionally say about Korg vs Yamaha (or Triton vs Motif) is that Korg are stronger in the area of more synth like sounds, strings etc. and Yamaha are stronger for electric pianos etc. I don't remember exactly what that balance is, it's something along those lines. The upshot is that, yes, it's definitely worth trying the Motif or maybe even a Roland sound module, especially for those kind of genres and also that many different genres.

To quote from a recent review of the Oasys in Sound on Sound :

Quote:

Traditionally, I have used four brands of synths for specific characters of sounds. Kurzweils have provided orchestral sounds and the warm, low-end timbres for which they're famous, Yamahas have provided precise, percussive sounds, Rolands have provided the pianos, ethnic instruments and pads that sit unobtrusively in a mix, and my Korgs have always been used for the wonderful washes and textures that they do better than anything else.

I not 100% convinced by these kind of statements, but people say this stuff a lot ... so there must be some truth to it. Personally I am a big fan of Korg stuff because of the more synthy flavours and the strings and so forth. I don't use any piano, ep, or brass sounds.

Daz.
Seb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx so much....
I actually found a site showing previews of access virus demos.
Very tight I must say.....very neat....
Thanx for all the help Daz... you really know your stuff:)
cybertwin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: i use both and,,, Reply with quote

i find the motif sounds are more realistic ..but the korg excels in pads and motion synth stuff..and the dual arps is cool... the fact that you can have more banks which are user avaliable is sweet..sequencer is excellent and moss is cool too...motif expansions are very sweet(i have a drum/vl and vocal harmony board) ...interface is better on korg for ease but once you get the hang of the motif its not that bad and the editor yamaha supplies is cool...

i also use a supernova2 board with 48 voices and like it alot
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: