Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KARMA or TR?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton LE / Korg TR
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should I get the TR61 or the KARMA?
TR61
56%
 56%  [ 9 ]
 43%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 16

jake

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: KARMA or TR? Reply with quote

I am looking into buying a workstation. I was planning on buying a TR61, but then a friend of mine offered to sell me his KARMA for a slightly cheaper price than I would have to pay for a brand new TR61. With the KARMA, I also get two expansion boards.
I am looking to make primarly Indian Music. I prefer to have sounds that are good in harp, flute, pads, guitar, strings, sitar and thabala (Indian drum) beats. I am not so much interested in live performance, but more sequencing and just playing back what i recorded on the keyboard.

Which workstation should I get?

Your advice is appreciated. Thank you.
asdasd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for TR becouse many say that it sounds better, newer and some dudes have acually changed from karma to TR.

However KARMA has more effects and the karma feature.
Synastikki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you just want to play home and do music I think you should go with KARMA, because the Karma function is very inspireing and very powerful in songmaking... If more live stuff I would choose TR... if you get Karma and 2 exb-boards I think you should go with karma Smile
Stephen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synastikki wrote:
if you just want to play home and do music I think you should go with KARMA, because the Karma function is very inspireing and very powerful in songmaking... If more live stuff I would choose TR... if you get Karma and 2 exb-boards I think you should go with karma Smile

I agree with that, I had been using my KARMA live, with much satisfaction.
However, it started to show signs of overuse on some of the control buttons, (Non Responsive, sometimes), so I decided to buy a different synth for gigs, and the TR has replaced the KARMA, with more than satisfactory results.
Th TR has incredible Drums, very nice pianos, and the Sampling option.
The KARMA, has inspiration galore, expansion capability, those wonderful KARMA features, and MW if you like to work on the computer, and create wonderful, complex Generated Effects, and Combis. The Expansion boards in my KARMA, provide most of the voices that I used live, but I found some great ones on the TR, that just required a little tweaking, or changing, and now I'm really happy with what I'm hearing.
Aside from Oasys, there's nothing else like Karma, and it will always reside in my studio! I rely on it a lot.
The TR is hard to beat for the price, and the features, but mostly for the sound quality.
I'm very happy to have them both, especially with the Yamaha MO Rack to round out my sound library.
Good luck with your decision, my suggestion....buy them both, and never look back!
Cool
http://cdbaby.com/all/jstephenfoster

Location Central U.S.A.
bsr2002

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both and am very HAPPY Smile

Live Rig: Roland Fantom X6, KORG TR61, Yamaha Motif ES6

http://www.facebook.com/bennyrillo
Triton Lounger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: KARMA or TR? Reply with quote

jake wrote:
I am looking into buying a workstation. I was planning on buying a TR61, but then a friend of mine offered to sell me his KARMA for a slightly cheaper price than I would have to pay for a brand new TR61. With the KARMA, I also get two expansion boards.
I am looking to make primarly Indian Music. I prefer to have sounds that are good in harp, flute, pads, guitar, strings, sitar and thabala (Indian drum) beats. I am not so much interested in live performance, but more sequencing and just playing back what i recorded on the keyboard.

Which workstation should I get?

Your advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Welcome to KF Jake.

I would say both. Smile But if were made to choose I think with exb's included the Karma offers a good variation of sounds that you can have access to that which the TR will not have out of the box without adding the TR sampling option. At that point you can dump in samples to your liking. Another nice option for the Karma is the MOSS-EXB. The Karma does have the 5 insert effects which makes a big diffference when producing tracks on board. Karma has it's Karma engine and all of the styled GE's which are expaned beyond polyphonic Arp's. The Karma technology is a wonderfully useful inspiration tool that can be used in many ways. If you haven't already done so, I suggest that you explore in depth the www.karma-labs.com site in order to fully realize what the Karma technology is and if it's for you.

The TR has great sounds (64 mb) period. Even though it has only 1 insert effect, it's not always something that's an issue. This is a testament to the clever programming done to accomidate the lack of the extra inserts. Although where it becomes an issue is when seq. songs. It's there the limitation of having only three effects= 1 insert , 2 master effects becomes a challange. Of course this all depends on your need for effected tracks ect.

It shares the same Classic Triton factory rom sound set as the Triton Classic/LE/Karma (karma's sounds are adapted to included the ge's instead Arp's). The TR also has an additional 32 mb of new rom samples that are very nice like flute, piano, git, drums ect. This along with new programming give the TR a refreshed sound that is hard to beat in that price range. TR has only 1 insert effect per Prg, Combi, Seq. It does have the preferred flash card media slot compared to the Karma's floppy drive. The TR also has a USB port pc/mac connectivity. If you want to add external sampling option the TR has the advantage over the Karma there.

With a computer and the Karma-Triton software you can command the TR as a Karma-TR workstation which gives you the fully functioning Karma system. Basically turns your TR into a 1 insert effect Karma workstation. So it's really a matter of what you want and how you want to do it.

Other options are if you went with the Karma and you wanted to add some of the new updated sound set that the TR offers you might even consider adding later on a X50 which has the same sounds as the TR minus the sampling option & built seq. It costs less than the TR. The MicroX would also be a nice addition to the Karma, and is even less than the X50.

Hopefully you'll get the chance to get some hands on time with each unit. Makes a big difference.

Good luck,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton LE / Korg TR All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: