Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sequencer might be good for demo's... but thats about it.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You tweaked my interest K49 ... so I just a peak at MV-8800 manual and I see what you mean. Looks very cool indeed, even just using the built-in screen. That looks like an ideal blend of the benefits of a software sequencer and the immediacy of working directly on the instrument. They certainly stolen the crown of the now defunct MPC4000. I see that like the Motif and other contemporary products that the pattern system is multi-track, so you can record all the parts of your pattern in the context of the other parts. As I understand it, with the Oasys you have to record everything into a song and then pull each part into a pattern and then re-inject those back into a song.

Daz.
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz wrote:
Kontrol49 wrote:
There is a drum editor which works in a typical Electribe or Roland TR style and you can input the notes like the Electribe system with each of the 16 pads representing a step in the bar,something that maybe the Oasys could have on the 8 pads(if there ever will be an included drum editor matrix)

At least on the Triton you could use the arp editor to cover that essential function. I just don't understand why they removed that when adding KARMA. As the Oasys brief was "S-Class" surely it wouldn't have been over the top to include the luxury of both KARMA 2.0 and dual arps.

Daz.

Just to preempt any comments along the lines of KARMA is far more powerful than an arpeggiator ... yes, that's totally true ... but ...

The Triton arpeggiator was not just your run of the mill arp, it had some capabillities more akin to a mini step sequencer and was certainly one of the most powerful arps I've used and was a powerful tool for programming drum patterns etc.

Daz.
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz.

the MV has 2 modes of creating seq's,in Pattern mode you can have up to 64 Midi tracks per pattern and can utilise a maximum of 999 Measures per pattern,so you could essentially create your songs in pattern mode only,you can then chain those patterns in the song mode to create a larger song or multiple pattern data,you can either use a pattern track whereby you just have to enter the pattern order and the MV will call up those patterns dependant on the song location,or you can paste the track data inot the linear song mode so you can edit even further if you wish,these 64 midi tracks in Pattern mode can also include audio tracks too,there is room for 500 Pattern location in pattern mode so theres more than enough location to create multiple pattern variations,you can also assign any of those pattern to a single pad and play the whole patterns by triggering a pad(Kind of Like the RPPR)

In the song mode you can also step input those patterns assigned to the pads into the pattern track so its easy to build an arrangement in no time(or you can record it in real time if you so wish)song mode has 128 midi tracks and 8 Audio tracks,the only downside to having 128 midi tracks is that the Machine can only use 16 Internal Instruments(Patches) at a time,but I use mainly external synths/gear for sequencing anyway

Most of the basic functions are accomplishable with the Oasys,but it takes time to build up the track,and you only have access to 1 pattern at a time unless you assign the patterns to the RPPR,think of the MV pattern inputs modes and chaning systems as a far better easier Interface to that of the Korg MX,Part of the appeal with the MV pattern mode is that I was used to creating sections of my songs on the Triton using the cue list feature and then chain them together to create a full song and by doing this I could rearrange the songs dependant on how I wanted the m structuring,pattern mode on the MV is exactly the same but you have more scope and more flexibility when editing songs

theres a dum editor/Like the electribe?TR method of drum inputting or you standard grid mode/ Piano roll/ Event List,Just a few things that make editing so much more better,and all these on the MVscreen too,as well as the VGA....why the hell can't they do it for the 10 Inch "O"!????The MV screen is a quarter of the size Rolling Eyes

The MV makes assignments so much easier plus you have a better representation of where everything is,part of the problem with the Oasys is that you have to keep flipping between pages to get to assingn things with the VGA every aspect of the operation is on the one Screen via Pull down menus so you don't have to keep leaving sub menus or pages,and even with the MV screen everything is still within the same sub menu(everything that you would need for each function)is there and is accesible from the menu button obviously due to the size limit of the MV screen the VGA can display more in the same page

Just think of the MV8800 As hardware sequencer meets Electribe,meets Cubase,and you pretty much see how flexible it is,granted it has minute omissions compared to a dedicated Workstation,but I haveyet to find anything that has crippled me to do an operation.

I looked at the possibility of getting a secondhand MPC4000,but the only thing that it had to offer over the MV was the extra Midi outs(4 ) whereas the MV only has 2(Hey ho back to daisy chaining I suppose,but can live with that)

I'm not trying to convert people to this machine,but seriously people should give it a look to see how much it can improve your working methods,if you prefer working with Hardware,then this machine is perfect,and if you prefer software,then this machine is also for you,part of the reason I chose it,was because I wanted to return to Hardware,but at the same time I didn't want to sacrifice the comfort and ease of a PC type platform,the MV fits the bill on both accounts,it even has resampling(so you can sample via the internal fx to fre up processor power etc)

if you do everything internally,you can then use the mixdown mode and finalize your tracks iwth all the mastering fx etc(Havent got down to that stage yet so can't tell you if its up to pro standards)

I've hardly dived into the Manuals,other that for a few References it so easy to get along with,which from my past experiences with Roland gear was surprising

Anyone who gets along with the Oasys or Triton sequencers will find this a breeze to sequence with,and if your at ease with Cubase environment,you'll find it a breeze too

I'm so astonished by this machine,yes sure it has its limits to the sounds it can utilise at the same time as its basically flash rom memory,and apart fro mthe Drums the sounds are pretty raw,but I bought it mainly for the sequencing of external gear,as most of the Korg will provide the sounds for me anyway

Just some nice additional things,Theres a function called Pix Jam,you can load in either Jpegs or Bit maps and then assign them to the pads and create a kind of audio visual sequence along with your tracks,which is displayed on the VGA,ok so its a gimmick but it adds some cools graphics to your songs and in time,it also has a screen saver too,you can load in your own pics and assign those to the screen saver.Ok so there Novelties but its just nice of Roland to add a little finesse
domc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kontrol49 wrote:

the MV has 2 modes of creating seq's,in Pattern mode you can have up to 64 Midi tracks per pattern and can utilise a maximum of 999 Measures per pattern,so you could essentially create your songs in pattern mode only,you can then chain those patterns in the song mode to create a larger song or multiple pattern data,you can either use a pattern track whereby you just have to enter the pattern order and the MV will call up those patterns dependant on the song location,or you can paste the track data inot the linear song mode so you can edit even further if you wish,these 64 midi tracks in Pattern mode can also include audio tracks too,there is room for 500 Pattern location in pattern mode so theres more than enough location to create multiple pattern variations,you can also assign any of those pattern to a single pad and play the whole patterns by triggering a pad(Kind of Like the RPPR)

Kontrol49 - thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. Just the things you mention in the paragraph above I think would make a tremendous addition to the big O sequencer.

-Multiple midi tracks per pattern
-Chaining patterns
-Addition of audio tracks per patten.

I use patterns a lot and well desgined pattern system for input and editing is very useful to both song construction and also live performance. I could forgo the external monitor and would think about having some of the patterns triggered from a screen (in a kind of Live 5/6 layout). The addition of audio track patterns would be a total godsend as well - even with the current system you should be able to listen to 8 simultaneous audio loops at the same time as any midi patterns.

Here's to hoping that some of this may someday come to light. It would be so convenient to have everything in one place and not have to buy external hardware to do this stuff.
Octopus
tonecre8

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kontrol49 you and I are on the same page with the MV Surprised
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonecre8 wrote:
Kontrol49 you and I are on the same page with the MV Surprised

Wink

And for those who are not.....Look what your Missing,I'm not talking about the song or style,the way you build a track...

Try doing that with the Oasys in the same amount of time..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ielczDVnHQQ

Ok the guys a Roland demo expert nd navigates it Quite easily but it really is this easy!!!I've only been using it 2 weeks...and this is in standalone mode,imagine how massive this thing works in VGA/Mouse mode..

As I've said before in previous posts there is no slowdown to your workflow,it all works seemlessly together to keep your idea going all the time so your not losing where you are or having to flick from page to page all the time,this Vid demo shows that!!
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you doing it at "more of a Detroit level" ? Wink
Drew FM
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz, Sorry to hijack a thread for a sec, but nobody seems to be helping me with the triton rack questions I have. Can you help?
Thanks!
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

No problem ... I'll go take a peek.
Kerzwhile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Sequencer might be good for demo's... but thats about it Reply with quote

sasori wrote:
I got my Oasys about 5 days ago. Although the sounds are great and the effects/audio matrix is nice, the sequencer is very lackluster.

Like the wavestation, Oasys is a great demo machine. But, when it comes to writing an actual song on it, it falls short. Mind you, I'm commenting about the sequencer only; not its attached audio routing matrix.

Sure, you can handily drone out B-movie Sci-fi soundtracks, like Johnny Moronic (spelling), but putting together a standard intro/phraise/chorus/wash/rinse/repeat is not something this thing is readily capable of assisting in.

Why bother adding a sequencer at all if all Japan's team could come up with is half the sequencer the triton gets? So bad is this sequencer, that I'm going to slave my $8k+, 2006 Oasys to my $1800 1987 Ensoniq ESQ1's sequencer to illustrate the direction the Oasys sequencer should've taken. Unfortunately, the ESQ1's ppqn is 96, I think. Still, its far more functinal for fast songwriting and scoring than Oasys, which is sad.

Another confusing thing is that although copying a combi to a seq is handy, I couldn't figure out how to set other empty tracks to midi channells to fill them with other instruments. I turnded off muti and the rec's for the tracks borrowed from the combi; but no luck. I'm sure this is just due to me not figuring out that facet of the sequencer, though.

I hope that Korg is focusing on a re-do of this sequencer. It should buy a ESQ1 and see how easily a song can be made on a workstation. I'm not saying the ESQ is the best, just better. Aside from that unit, I've also used Sequencer+, Cubase, FL Studio, etc.

Yeah little late for me to step up to the plate here but, The Oasys sequencer is NOT a pattern based sequencer like us Ensoniq/Kurzweil guys are used to! It is a very good sequencer, just diff. That is why I MIDI my K2600 yo my Oasys and use the Kurz for sequencing! Shocked I am just so used to working this way and I am WAY to lazy to change!! Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: