Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Taking On The OASYS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curvebender
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Logic 8 Reply with quote

LarsVonMeyer wrote:
I am still ordering Logic 8 though, and I'll post some L8 samples up soon (including lots of acoustic piano for Ski Wink ), and we can compare it to the Oasys.

Oh yeah, please do. And while we're at this whole comparing thing, do you think you could include some samples of your sound design work? Like that, we could compare it to Ski's efforts.

No?..

Really? No?..

I'm shocked.
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Logic 8 Reply with quote

LarsVonMeyer wrote:
Those samples were designed for Garageband - I expected a 24-bit 192 (Colossus style) library.

Just FYI, nearly half the EW Colossus library is 16 bit. Also, don't all of the commercial sample libraries play back at a 44.1 kHz sample rate? I think you have been caught up in the high sample rate hype. Quality of the audio converters is much more important than the sheer numbers.

LarsVonMeyer wrote:
However, the new NI stuff that was also released today kind of compensates for the slight disappointment from Apple.

Native Instruments didn't release much new stuff either. The majority of Komplete 4 users already had Massive, so the only new products in Komplete 5 are Guitar Rig 3 and Kontakt 3. From the initial verbiage it doesn't appear Kontakt 3 has too many new features except for an easier to use GUI.
ski
Independent Sound Designer for Korg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Logic 8 Reply with quote

LarsVonMeyer wrote:
I am still ordering Logic 8 though, and I'll post some L8 samples up soon (including lots of acoustic piano for Ski Wink ), and we can compare it to the Oasys.

Don't bother Wink as I have better things to do with my time Wink than get into a pissing contest Wink about which piano is better than some other piano Wink
ricky recordo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ski wrote:
Or, you could very well have caught a touch of Ricky Ricordo's unfortunate affliction whereby he has delusions of being able to offer informed opinions about things he doesn't actually have any experience with.

Experience with things like what, ski... like maybe playing an OASYS for instance? Are you saying I have never played / do not occasionally still play / probably never will again play an OASYS?

Wrong / wrong / and wrong. I've put in enough hours on OASYS to get a good sense of its capabilities and limitations. In any standalone workstation, (as you of course know being an expert in the field), there can be plenty of each!

The heat thing - yeah. I was wrong about that, and that I agree was not an informed opinion. On other topics within this forum my opinions have been quite well informed, so I'm not the complete fool you are once again trying to position me as.

Your increasingly aggressive stance towards me is understandable though. I don't love the O and you do.

As a driving force on the O-Team, of course you are more informed than I on all matters OASYS.

I am less informed, but certainly not uninformed.

I do have an "unfortunate affliction" though, as you mention, I must admit. This demon has caused me to purchase large numbers of diverse electronic musical instruments and invest thousands of hours of my time over the last 25 years or so in learning their workings. I voraciously read every EMI publication (paper or electronic) that I can get my hands on to stay abreast of what's happening.

I don't see how that would make me uninformed or inexperienced.
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ricky recordo wrote:
I've put in enough hours on OASYS to get a good sense of its capabilities and limitations.

No, you have NOT. Going to a music shop, and playing does NOT do it justice. Not even CLOSE! And for you to even say that shows how incredibly IGNORANT you are towards the OASYS! For you to say that GarageBand blows the lid off of the OASYS shows how CLUELESS you are about the OASYS! When the hell are you gonna get that?!

Do us ALL a favor and BACK OFF from your stupid little OASYS comments, cause quite frankly I'm getting REALLY exhausted from seeing you in the OASYS forums, making CLUELESS comments about the OASYS and not having ANY experience with it! Playing it in a Music Shop doesn't even SCRATCH the surface! I've had mine for 3 MONTHS and STILL haven't scratched the Surface!

You contribute to NOTHING! Can you at the VERY LEAST admit that?!

I REALLY don't care what your gonna say to this because I'm NOT gonna reply and waste my time arguing with you! Speak to the hand Speak to the hand

I'm DONE with you and this RIDICULOUS thread! Brick wall Brick wall

And to LarsVonMeyer,

Apple taking on the OASYS?! Are you freaking kidding me?! Get your F***ING facts straight! Don't even bother with those stupid comparisons! I have NO interest in them, ESPECIALLY a TROLL thats CLUELESS about the OASYS! GO TO HELL! BOTH OF YOU! Speak to the hand Speak to the hand

ricky recordo wrote:
Your increasingly aggressive stance towards me is understandable though. I don't love the O and you do.

I WONDER WHY?! Maybe because you are IGNORANT and you make STUPID comments and replies here that contribute to NOTHING? When are you gonna let go of the OASYS Forums? Why do you even BOTHER posting here, when you have NO interest in it?

Say what you want in response to any of this, because I will NOT reply!

P.S. Daz, Sharp. It HAD to be said. I'm sorry if I offended you guys or anyone else reading this, but I'm REALLY getting sick of hearing these "Software vs. OASYS" threads after 2.5 years of watching all these forums and people who make stupid comments when they don't even have an OASYS themselves to compare them with because of their ignorance.

Remember Montona25? I read all his posts and boy were they repetitive. Now LarsVonMeyer comes in here and makes this ridiculous thread. I wonder if he's Arvon25, making a comeback. Think

(heavy sigh) Some people just don't get it about the OASYS. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Sina172 on Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
ski
Independent Sound Designer for Korg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ricky recordo wrote:
Experience with things like what, ski... like maybe playing an OASYS for instance? Are you saying I have never played / do not occasionally still play / probably never will again play an OASYS?

Funny, I don't recall ever having said those things; but still, you take up a defensive position on the notion that I did. Hmmm...

You've said that you've played the Oasys in a music store. Well, that's not quite the same as owning one and really getting a chance to explore its features, is it? Right now the O is a pretty deep machine when you take into account all of the EXi's and KARMA. Re KARMA alone, a lot of what it's capable of cannot be understood without many hours of exploration and manual reading (yet you offered your opinion on what it's capable of). And the depths that STR-1 can go to can't be fully appreciated by just a casual acquaintance with it (yet you offered an opinion on that too).

It's like saying you're qualified to offer opinions on Porsches (which you test drive once in a while) when the rest of the time you're driving around in a Winnebago.

Here, let me give you my opinion on contrabass clarinets. The Selmer rosewood contrabass clarinets are beautiful instruments to look at, but they don't produce as good a tone in the clarion register as the LeBlanc metal paperclip models. And the Selmers seem to go out of regulation more quickly than the LeBlancs, so your best bet is to get a LeBlanc. Oh, and while you're at it, get a Grabner mouthpiece and Rico GS reeds.

Sounds like I'm voicing an informed opinion, right? Well, that's all arm-chair knowledge, my friend. I've never played a contrabass clarinet, let alone seen one in person, but I'm interested in getting one so I'm doing my research. At this point I have a lot of info and other people's opinions stored in the back of my brain. But until I actually get one and learn how to play it, I'm really not qualified to tell you that a LeBlanc contra is better than a Selmer, am I?

That's an example of what I mean about voicing an "uninformed opinion". I know, it's an ugly term that comes across as really f-ing arrogant too. But does the shoe fit in this case? Sure, a person will form opinions based on what they read, or by having casual acquaintance with something, but most of the time that's not enough to qualify them to engage in active conversation on the subject. To ask questions about it? Sure, that's legal. Ask rhetorical questions? Eh, that's 1/2 legal if you're sincere about it, though after 2.5 years of this kind of thing the little needle on the trollmeter points more towards foe than friend. And to discuss it as though you actually have some experience with it? Mmmmmm... I don't think so. That kinda thing moves the needle violently towards "foe" and breaks the bezel.

Hey, I'm not saying you have to like the Oasys, and it's certainly not my place to say whether or not you have a right to post here. I don't even visit here all that often these days, but when I do I find it, um, "interesting" that after 2.5 years you're still here voicing your "O-pinions".

So, y'know, like, "whatever".
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm locking this thread until further notice.
I believe at this stage we need to review certain peoples membership here at KF to restore harmony.

I need time to think, and time to talk with Daz.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: