Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pedal query
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen~K^ wrote:
All,

Thanks much for your replies.

I bought the DS-1H and I am very pleased with it.

sk

bought it yesterday too Wink working fine
Synergy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen~K^ wrote:

On some transitions I found that it takes a precise and quick off/on touch of the pedal and cannot "cheat" or be lazy with my foot as I sometimes do with my acoustic.

sk

That's one of the inconvenience I'm experiencing with. I hope I'm not the only one who is too picky on this matter. I think the soft pedal function is a good thing only if it won't rub off the pholyphony to cause the hickup. For me the half damper pedal gives me right amount (maybe slightly less) of sustain resonance on overall classical piano music. For instance, if I play the second movement on the Imprompt fantasy by Chopin, activating the full sustain would bring out that heavy resonance (hence muddy tune) even on soft passages where you are not supposed to hear them. That's where the half damper can be handy. The trouble is that it's hard to trigger the half damper without triggering full sustain. Also, trying to avoid the sustain causes me to unwillingly triggering both constantly, using up unnecessary amounts of polyphony. I'll try to find the way to modify the pedal so that I only get the full sustain only when the pedal is pressed all the way down.
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synergy wrote:
The trouble is that it's hard to trigger the half damper without triggering full sustain. .

i experience that too. maybe i need training, but i seems difficult.
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synergy wrote:

Also I might have to add that though the EXs-2 piano samples are huge in size and have some cool extra detail characteristics of the sustain echoing internal chamber like effect when the pedal is being depressed, such chamber effects cause greater contrast when the sustain is not triggered. I did go back to the EXs-1 piano, and it was less obvious for that very reason. Ironically I do prefer the quality of the EXs-2's grand piano samples, hence my dilemma of whether to diable the half damper, or stick with the EXs-1 rather than the EXs-2.

If I understand you right, you are feeling like the addition of the resonance layer when the pedal is depressed is too different compared to non-pedal passages. This might just be an issue of lowering the volume/level of OSC 2. To check this out set the Control Surface to the Mixer setting and then slider 1 will be the main stereo piano, and slider 2 will be the resonance layer. Experiment around with various blends as you play to find the best balance for your taste.

I also do these type of personal taste edits when using the Piano Body Insert effect - a little bit goes a long way, but you can quickly get into a too obvious difference.

Hope this helps.

Jerry
Synergy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerrythek wrote:

If I understand you right, you are feeling like the addition of the resonance layer when the pedal is depressed is too different compared to non-pedal passages. Jerry

Yes, that's exactly the feeling I get. It only happens when you are playing soft classical tunes. Thanks I'll try your tips. Maybe you and Dan could enlighten me. Is it possible to manipulate the parameters to get the full sustain only when the pedal is fully depressed? Or is it all about how the internal mechanism of the pedal is designed? I see that the half damper pedal has the TRS connector instead of the TS. If the pedal is not a simple on/off switch, there must be a way to modify the copper contacts in the pedal so that any half way pedaling would trigger the half damper except the full sustain when it's depressed all the way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: