Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I can not fall in love with the Korg OASYS. :(
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silverdragonsound
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I get it. I never buy a workstation no matter how it good it sounds or what it can do , even if its ugly and I don't like its appearance. Shocked

You can't buy love when you don't know what your shopping for. Rolling Eyes
alter_ego

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I wanted to say is that the OASYS looks very ugly.

Of course when I buy a workstation the first two things I notice are its sounds and its capabilities BUT I can not buy it if its really ugly such the OASYS.

I cant fall in love with it. I cant work with it. It s so simple!

There are also some other composers who have the same opinion with me. They believe that older korg products such as the Trinity or Triton Studio have got much more beautiful design than the oasys.

PS: I m not a troll. I m a very big fan of Korg products since March 2002.
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alter_ego wrote:
I cant fall in love with it. I cant work with it. It s so simple!
PS: I m not a troll. I m a very big fan of Korg products since March 2002.

... and you said that with such style and grace, it just leaves us all feeling very warm and fuzzy.... That's what we all reacted to, nothing else. It's not the problem of expressing your opinion, it's how you express it.

BTW, dude, OASYS is not a woman for you need to fall in love with it so you can enjoy your time with it. It's a synth. If you're worried about looking good with it, everyone who's anyone who knows anything about keyboards and sees you having it will drool over it if they don't have it. I don't see the purpose of getting a syntheseizer because it looks like this or that - de gustibus non est disputandum.

By your own admission, you said that sound and looks are the first things that come to your mind when you try a keyboard. Cool. Do you like OASYS's sound? If not, then this thread is absolutely pointless because you're trolling. If you do and still don't want to buy it (given that you have the cash), then you've gotta be the most shallow person a lot of us here have ever seen because your impression about its looks are more important to you then the sound coming out of it. If it's "sounds superb" in the PRO-column and "looks ugly" in the CONS-column and you still don't want to have it, that's the impression most of us here get.

Just my 2c.

Cheers,
vEddY.
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
alter_ego

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but it would be very nice if Korg improved the appearence of the Oasys.

Dude, it s not bad to have all these Oasys features in a very well designed "box"! Wink

The present hardware design of the Oasys is not impressive enough. It needs to be improved.
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alter_ego wrote:

Dude, it s not bad to have all these Oasys features in a very well designed "box"! Wink
The present hardware design of the Oasys is not impressive enough. It needs to be improved.

As far as the hardware is concerned, that's a completely different subject that has nothing to do with its external design or appearance. This is a matter of internal KORG decision making process that can be right or wrong but at the time when this decision was taken, it was a Intel Pentium IV Northwood core vs Prescott core age and KORG took the smart decision of taking the Northwood route. Since 2005 when this keyboard was introduced, there were three "generations" of CPUs, and it took Intel a year and a half AFTER OASYS was introduced to sort out their outdated NetBurst architecture and make a Core architecture that kicks ass. You can clearly see that in Intel's roadmap so check out this picture:

I had to dig extra-deep on my hard drive to find that one. So, I think it's clearly visible why KORG went out with a P IV generation CPU with the OASYS (introduced in January 2005) and not other CPU's that came out later. Actually, OASYS has had both fortune and misfortune at the same time - fortune because luckily KORG was able to avoid the pretty bad Pentium D/Presler generation (overheating), and misfortune that it kind of left KORG with no other choice but to go with a single-core CPU. So, it was a well balanced decision.

The fact remains that it could be updated in the future. Wether that will happen or not, remains to be seen, I don't want to get into that. I just wonder what OASYS could do with the with QX6850 CPU I got from Intel today....
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.

Last edited by vEddY on Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alter_ego -

I don't want to get involved in this thread but you've got my curiosity going - what's so ugly about oasys? Can you give details? It's not really _that_ different to other keyboards is it; apart from the screen sticking up, but even that's arguably an echo of minimoog design. I can't figure out what about it is unconventional enough to make it stand out from other synthesizers to claim it in particular is 'very ugly'.

Of course personal taste is everything when it comes to ergonomics and aesthetics - so do you mean that ergonomically it does not fulfil your requirements as a performer, or do you genuinely see something very ugly in its look?

Just out of curiosity - and earnestly - could you give a few other example of 'very ugly' objects, both other keyboards, and other objects in general, just to see what you see as very ugly!! Forward of me to ask that I know, but I'm genuinely bemused by your intensity of claim on how ugly the oasys is - I can't see it!

Thanks,
Kevin.
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curvebender wrote:

And: the Oasys looks great! It looks, well, expensive..

A matter of thougths and liking, no doubt.

Personally, I think the Oasys is the most stunning hardware keyboard I´ve ever seen, and the most beautiful designed Korg keyboard since the Trinity.

Quote:

Other than that, this has to be the lamest threadstart ever. (And I know I'm guilty of a few of those.. Embarassed)

How true, dude.
Wink
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: I can not fall in love with the Korg OASYS. :( Reply with quote

alter_ego wrote:
But the OASYS... hm... It is one of the UGLIEST workstations I ve ever seen and used!

I could not disagree with you more. I think the OASYS is fantastic looking!!

Out of ALL of the posts I have seen about the OASYS ( and I have read at least 10,000 posts on the OASYS), you are the only person who doesn't like the looks of the OASYS.

I am afraid you are in a very small minority.

alter_ego wrote:

the Neko of the OpenLabs is still the Leader of the Stand-Alone Workstations

You may think this, but Open Labs has had a hard time selling their workstations because most people aren't willing to pay the price premium when compared to a rack computer + audio interface + midi keyboard.

Open Labs has sold some products in the U.S., but look at their International Distribution -- they don't have any. Even their U.S. Distribution is primarily direct sales. Their newest miKo product (not really a keyboard with 37 keys) seems their best chance of success, primarily targeted to DJs and VJs. However even that is a question in my mind given many DJs are migrating to laptops.

Last edited by MartinHines on Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:52 am; edited 3 times in total
ski
Independent Sound Designer for Korg

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alter_ego wrote:

I think you made that point pretty clear. Yup, you think it's not only ugly but very ugly. OK then, you think it's very ugly. Is there anything more to discuss? Or is it just SOOOO ugly that it bears a mutli-page thread to explore its utter ugliness?

Rolling Eyes
Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alter-ego, i see that this is your first thread at this forum, and this is what you have to say, you registered at this forum just to express you opinion how Ugly is the most beautifull Workstation!

Go wine your mommy, about such issues...

Or does you big brother tought you that Neko is better ot Software is better... ?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: