Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Re-Programming you M3 sounds, will surprise you !
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
muziksculp

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re-Programming you M3 sounds, will surprise you ! Reply with quote

Hi,

I just wanted to let other M3 users know that M3 preset programs don't give you a real idea of what the M3 is capable of.

I had my M3 for almost three months now, but did not have much time to begin doing any serious sound programming on it, so, I just recently began experimenting with editing this baby, and what a surprise I got !

The M3 can sound a huge step up from what is currently programmed from the factory. Re-programming both programs and combinations can transform the M3 to an "M3-Extreme".

The difference is substantial ! I would guess that the Korg programmers had to rush the programming, in order to release the M3 on time, this meant that a lot of the programs and combis on the M3 can sound much better if more time was spent on programming them. (so IMHO, the stock factory programs on the M3 do not do justice to what it can sound like).

The options of creating new programs, and combinations, and creatively utilizing the effects processor, which does sound fantastic by the way, can produce some wonderful sounding results.

Once I began editing the M3, and hearing what it is capable of, I had a big smile on my face Very Happy ! Wow.. I just realized how amazing it could sound, so my advice to other M3 users is, begin to re-program your M3.

Regarding the optional EXB USB-PCM libraries, so far I have not heard any announcement from Korg regarding the "EXB USB-PCM" series, which would add additional sample based sounds to the M3, providing more focus on specific sounds (i.e. Orchestral, Guitars, Percussion, Vocal, Synths, ...etc)

I wonder what seems to be taking so long ? I think it's about time they release some EXB USB-PCM libraries, or made some kind of an announcement about it, more details, and what we could expect in the near future.

The EXB USB-PCM libraries, will give the M3 quite a bit of additional sonic power.

I can't wait to see this happen.
KarmaKazi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: + optional EXB USB-PCM libraries Reply with quote

1. Yes: Sharpen your tools. Know your roll. Mother of invention.

= 1000 ways how not to make a light bulb Idea

2. I second that request for optional EXB USB-PCM libraries!

KarmaKazi
kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it 's the same with many other machines, presets usually do not give a good idea of the real capabilities of the synth.

nice to know that the same is for M3, some preset sincerly are very poor and it is hard to forrseen a real use of them in a mix or in gig.

about the M3, what i dislike more is the number of patches completely overcome by a techno/dance karma arrangement, so pumped that you cna hardly heard the "real" patch...
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M3 is all about Karma. With it's factory settings it isn't usable for live playing music, meaning playing without Karma, every sound is perverted with those arpeggiators.
So yes, it's a big job making M3 to work satisfactory for live playing.

But it's that way with every other keyboard - not one keyboard is released with it's potential fully discovered to users.
muziksculp

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimu wrote:
it 's the same with many other machines, presets usually do not give a good idea of the real capabilities of the synth.

nice to know that the same is for M3, some preset sincerly are very poor and it is hard to forrseen a real use of them in a mix or in gig.

about the M3, what i dislike more is the number of patches completely overcome by a techno/dance karma arrangement, so pumped that you cna hardly heard the "real" patch...

Yes, this is the same with many machines/Keyboards/Synths... but in the case of the M3, I think the difference between some of the stock presets, and what you can achieve is HUGE ! A sign of poor, and rushed programming by the Korg programmers...

Maybe it was Korg's rush to release the M3, to compete with YAMAHA's Motif XS line that did not allow Korg Programmers to do a better job at programming it.

In any casel, I just wanted to bring this, quite important fact, to the attention of current and future M3 users.

Cheers.
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe it was Korg's rush to release the M3, to compete with YAMAHA's Motif XS line that did not allow Korg Programmers to do a better job at programming it.

You are 100% right, musiksculp, my impressions on that matter are the same.

Keep on programming.
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimu wrote:

Hmm, I completely disagree with you guys. Up to a point where I have to ask if we're talking about the same keyboard? Smile

Just a quick look on my notes - I found at least 80 usable sounds that I can use without any modifications (50/50 COMBI/PROG sounds). I actually took notes about every single sound and this is gonna be in my article (review) next week. And on top of that, piano is really, really sweet. So, could you please be more specific, which sounds didn't you like? I'm really interested in all of this, because the sound that I hear coming through my $10 headphones is really pretty amazing.

For me, KARMA programming on M3 isn't in "overdrive" mode, it's very nice. Sometimes it feels a bit unfinished, but I actually noticed quite a few OASYS-alike KARMAfied patches with KARMA turned off. It's all a matter of taste, of course, so I'm not about to judge your opinions. I'd just love to know what is it that I'm missing.

Cheers,
vEddY.
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Unknown Sound

Location: On a small island just off the coast of an island not to far from Antarctica

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I totally agree. I too have only just started to go deeper into the programming space of the M3 and have been very impressed with the results.

I think it can do Pads extremely well. Has any noticed the Unison option with up to 6 voices with thickness? This makes lead sounds very Fat. Shame it's only in Mono tho (even though the manual says it can do Poly Mode).
Also, there is a sample of Wavestation PCM in there (I like all those VS, Inharm, Formant & ResX samples. Effects are also very very good too. You can go cutting synth or warm pad. It does HPF/BPF stuff really well and the 3 band EQ really lets you tweak Timbre color. LPF (as per all Korg products) is so so. I.e. Not a Virus.

Overall the scope of the M3 is quite vast.

_US.
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I found at least 80 usable sounds that I can use without any modifications

Well, we obviously came to the point where we are discussing are own tastes and preferences. Sounds that are good for you maybe aren't good for me or any other player and vice versa, I can program sounds that will satisfy my needs and you could hear them and think they are as bad as possible. OK, we can agree that piano is nice.

It's also nice that you are writing an article about that matter, but that article will be reflection of your impressions about M3, don't you agree?

I didn't write any notes, had M3 for too short period of time, but it didn't live me breathless. It's keyboard with good potential, but didn't make me wish to buy it.

I tweaked Extreme to maximum, but even when I bought it, I was amazed with it - it didn't happen when I took M3. M3 just isn't anything radically new to me and maybe I'm spoiled with Extreme so my expectations for M3 were too big.

Quote:
KARMA programming on M3 isn't in "overdrive" mode, it's very nice.

Yes, I forgot to mention that - it's nice for someone who can or want to use it. I have no need of Karma so it has no value to me.

And the feel, the touch of M3, don't know which word to choose - well, it just isn't right: Extreme is like a tank, M3 is.... I don't know, "soft" could be the word. But there are posts already written on that matter, so I don't want to repeat anything.
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Well, we obviously came to the point where we are discussing are own tastes and preferences. Sounds that are good for you maybe aren't good for me or any other player and vice versa, I can program sounds that will satisfy my needs and you could hear them and think they are as bad as possible. OK, we can agree that piano is nice.
It's also nice that you are writing an article about that matter, but that article will be reflection of your impressions about M3, don't you agree?
I didn't write any notes, had M3 for too short period of time, but it didn't live me breathless. It's keyboard with good potential, but didn't make me wish to buy it.
I tweaked Extreme to maximum, but even when I bought it, I was amazed with it - it didn't happen when I took M3. M3 just isn't anything radically new to me and maybe I'm spoiled with Extreme so my expectations for M3 were too big.

Yep, I almost agree, except from the fact that a nice part of my business actually IS writing articles about things like M3 Smile So, I'd at least like to think that I have some knowledge about those things and some basis for comparing things on a professional level Smile How much of that is true is up to readers to decide Smile And there are a lot of them Smile

Quote:

Yes, I forgot to mention that - it's nice for someone who can or want to use it. I have no need of Karma so it has no value to me.
And the feel, the touch of M3, don't know which word to choose - well, it just isn't right: Extreme is like a tank, M3 is.... I don't know, "soft" could be the word. But there are posts already written on that matter, so I don't want to repeat anything.

That's also perfectly reasonable and I can understand if people don't use or don't want to use KARMA. Personally, I really like it as an inspiration tool, it's pretty awesome for that. And now, when we get the possibility to do User GE's on the OASYS, it's gonna be the next level. This could mean a lot to people that use OASYS for giging...

Soft? OK, you're probably referring to how it feels in terms of material or something, right? And I wouldn't go with Extreme here to say that it's like a tank, I would rather choose Triton Classic/Studio and Trinity as tank-examples. Extreme is PACKED with sounds, but perhaps it's a little bit too-plastic in terms of building quality.

How about M3 keys? Personally, I really, really dig M3 keyboard action - I had a chance to try it on numerous occasions.
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So, I'd at least like to think that I have some knowledge about those things

Zemo, I know you have the knowledge, no one dispute that. I read your articles, you know what you are doing.
Quote:

Soft? OK, you're probably referring to how it feels in terms of material or something, right?

Yeah, the chassis overall, control keys, everything is so...soft. Very Happy
But, really, that's very subjective and I have no intention making you believe the same.

Quote:
How about M3 keys?

Keys are good, no complaints there.

Man, I would like they build those keyboards sturdy as T3, or I30 for example. Those were the keyboards...
But even Extreme is tank comparing to M3. Very Happy

Ajd bogati necmo vise otisli smo predaleko s ovim, meni se ne svidja, tebi se svidja i crta.Jel u redu?
Unknown Sound

Location: On a small island just off the coast of an island not to far from Antarctica

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As per usual it's dependant on what you need and what you do. I don't gig, I work in a small project studio.

The M3 is not my main synth in the studio. I do totally synthetic constructions and rely heavily on other synths, notably the Virus TI, RADIAS and Trinity (each having their own characteristic sound). The M3 is there as backup, I think it has huge potential for evolving Pads and since it's the only Sampler I own it will fit the bill quite nicely. But yes, build quality is crap.

_US.
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yeah, the chassis overall, control keys, everything is so...soft. Very Happy
But, really, that's very subjective and I have no intention making you believe the same.
Man, I would like they build those keyboards sturdy as T3, or I30 for example. Those were the keyboards...
But even Extreme is tank comparing to M3. Very Happy

Haha, it's cool, man... Everyone's got a right to an opinion, no argues there Smile And to me, 61-key model also feels a bit soft. 73 and 88, nope Smile
muziksculp

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is quite an important detail for users who seem to focus more on the M3 sound generation capabilities.

The M3 factory programmed sounds are quite decent, and very usable,(I'm not saying anything is wrong with the factory sounds), but what I'm trying to say, is that the M3 when carefully re-programmed, can sound much, much better !

I feel that the M3 should not be judged by its factory sound set alone. The M3 can sound much better once it is carefully re-programmed.

You will also discover that the "variety" of sounds it can produce, once you begin programming it is quite impressive.

This, in a way, is like comparing "Fast Food" to "Fine Cuisine", the difference in "quality" and "variety" is huge.

The same principle applies to the M3. The difference is quite significant ! My advice is... just begin re-programming your M3. Yes, this takes some time, knowledge, patience, and dedication, but the results are very rewarding.

Enjoy your New and much, much better sounding M3 ! Very Happy
XVampireX

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any manuals on how to program the sounds? Just want to be sure how to if I'll need to, that would be very helpful for me and maybe someone else who decides to jump on M3 Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: