Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I really like the Oasys, but...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingJ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: I really like the Oasys, but... Reply with quote

I really like the Korg Oasys, and I would like to have an Oasys-61 in my studio, but right now, it seems impossible. This is because I'm totally blind, and I've been this way since birth, and obviously, I can't see to navigate the touch screen. Are there any workarounds for blind and visually impaired people like me. If there are not, then Korg, please listen to my suggestions. Maybe Korg should come out with alternate models of their high end workstations that have a lot more buttons, and no touch screen. Or, maybe there should be more buttons on the Oasys, the M3, and other Korg products. What do I do? The Oasys is the closest thing to the Synclavier of 2007, and I can't even use it! Is there a way I can hook it up to my PC, and get my screen reading program to read what's on the Oasys's screen? Are there any blind people out there that own and or use the Oasys?
ski
Independent Sound Designer for Korg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it would be helpful if you could explain what kinds of workarounds exist for blind people so that they're able to operate musical instrument technologies that don't incorporate touch screens.
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi KingJ,

Glad you got in okay. Welcome !

In recent times I was talking to another blind musician here who was using Korg gear and learned quite a lot talking to him about this subject. The only Korg workstations the he found that he could use were the Tritons that don't use a touchscreen like the Korg TR. Even that was tricky as a couple of us "sighties" (his term) came to appreciate as we learned how to explain certain operations in terms of long lists of button presses.

One thing that struck me during those conversations is how the Kurzweil workstations might be better suited to blind users as they don't use touchscreens and also have the ability to dump their LCD screen contents as text, via a MIDI, to a computer. That requires a little messing with MIDI system exclusive messages, but in theory means that you could at least get to read what is on the instrument's screen using a screen reader or something similar. I am not sure exactly how it would, but I think this is the closest you'll get to a blind friendly instrument from any manufacturer.

Daz.
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a little googling to see if anyone had taken advantage of this ability in Kurzweil workstations and found something very interesting. Someone has created a product that might suit you very well. Here is some text about it.

The KeySounds Kurzweil Display Reader (KDR) is a Windows program that allows blind users of Kurzweil musical equipment to have access to the text portion of the LCD's on this equipment by copying the text from the LCD to a computer monitor via MIDI. Once on the computer monitor, it can be read with screen reading or enlarging software. The following Kurzweil products can be read with KDR.

All models in the K2000, K2500, and K2600 series. This includes keyboards racks and samplers.

This program greatly simplifies navigating the complex, multilayered menus on these instruments. As you turn the dial or press buttons on the Kurzweil, the current parameter is automatically read to you. For example, when moving through the patches, you will hear the name and number of each new patch. You can use normal reading commands to read every line of the display. In addition, you can press 1-8 on the number row to hear any particular line with a single keystroke. You can also use F1 to F6 to tell you the current functions of the six soft buttons.

You can read more about this at the following link :

http://www.keysounds.com/kdr.html

You can read more about the Kurzweil workstations here :

http://www.kurzweilmusicsystems.com

Daz.
KingJ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: I really like the Oasys, but... Reply with quote

ski wrote:
Maybe it would be helpful if you could explain what kinds of workarounds exist for blind people so that they're able to operate musical instrument technologies that don't incorporate touch screens.

Well, on my Yamaha gear, it's pretty simple. I just have to remember button pushes, and where all the buttons are. I currently own a Yamaha MO6, and a Yamaha Tyros2. The Tyros2 was a breze for me to learn, because the OS was so much like my PSR3000. I just got the MO6, so I'm still learning it, but I can already do quite a bit on it. I do have to get a sighted person to help me in the initial stages of learning a piece of gear, but I've always been pretty successful when it comes to learning my gear. I always use a tape recorder to record myself and the sighted person going through the menus, then I type my own set of instructions about what buttons to push, and how many times to push them. It's a time consuming task, but it really pays off in the end. I wish I could navigate the Oasys like I can my Yamaha gear. I don't think I would want to buy something like a K2600, because Kurzweil's tec support is known for being the pits.
ski
Independent Sound Designer for Korg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info KingJ.
KingJ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz wrote:
Hi KingJ,

Glad you got in okay. Welcome !

In recent times I was talking to another blind musician here who was using Korg gear and learned quite a lot talking to him about this subject. The only Korg workstations the he found that he could use were the Tritons that don't use a touchscreen like the Korg TR. Even that was tricky as a couple of us "sighties" (his term) came to appreciate as we learned how to explain certain operations in terms of long lists of button presses.

One thing that struck me during those conversations is how the Kurzweil workstations might be better suited to blind users as they don't use touchscreens and also have the ability to dump their LCD screen contents as text, via a MIDI, to a computer. That requires a little messing with MIDI system exclusive messages, but in theory means that you could at least get to read what is on the instrument's screen using a screen reader or something similar. I am not sure exactly how it would, but I think this is the closest you'll get to a blind friendly instrument from any manufacturer.

Daz.

Hi Darrin. I had no other problems getting in, except that now, I can't get this thing to log me in automatically. Please look at my reply to Ski, you'll see how I use my Yamaha gear. Also, I would like to note that when the sighted person and I go through the menus, I push the buttons, and she just reads the screen. This way, I don't have to write every single button push down. If I know what the buttons do in each menu, then I can usually figure out the rest with little or no problems. Since the Oasys has an open operating system, wouldn't it be possible to install a plugin that transmits text via MIDI to my PC? I know that it may not be possible to put more buttons on the Oasys, so this seems like the best solution. By not doing this, I feel that Korg is excluding us from most of their products. I just tried the M3 on Saturday, and I liked it, but there were several things on it I couldn't do. I would hate to think that the TR and the X50 are my only Korg options, because the M3, and especially the Oasys, blows both the TR and the X50 clean off the shelf. If Korg came out with a rack version of the Oasys without a touch screen, even if it didn't have every single Oasys feature, I would probably still buy it. I would be able to control it from one of my Yamaha keyboards.
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: I really like the Oasys, but... Reply with quote

KingJ wrote:
I really like the Korg Oasys, and I would like to have an Oasys-61 in my studio, but right now, it seems impossible. This is because I'm totally blind, and I've been this way since birth, and obviously, I can't see to navigate the touch screen. Are there any workarounds for blind and visually impaired people like me. If there are not, then Korg, please listen to my suggestions. Maybe Korg should come out with alternate models of their high end workstations that have a lot more buttons, and no touch screen. Or, maybe there should be more buttons on the Oasys, the M3, and other Korg products. What do I do? The Oasys is the closest thing to the Synclavier of 2007, and I can't even use it! Is there a way I can hook it up to my PC, and get my screen reading program to read what's on the Oasys's screen? Are there any blind people out there that own and or use the Oasys?

I have wondered why they never made a 61 Key version,but looking at the layout of the synth,would mean shortening the dimensions of the Overall synth,which with the current fascia and buttons etc,wouldn't permit them to fit onto a 61 note chassis,looking at the 76 Note version,it is right on the Mark to fit within those dimensions,if there was too be a smaller size then surely they would have to redesign the layout of the Buttons/Panel.

I don't think I could contemplate how difficult it would be to use synthesizers being visually impaired,let alone the Oasys to which Vision is a critical mode to its operation,Maybe you could contact Korg with your proposal,about making accomodations for your disability,so I suppose its rather frustrating Knowing that your sort of segregated from buying a wonderful instrument,when a few simple modifications could make it a reality for you,Isuppose using someone as an aid is helpful but not really practical all the time,it would be good if they could manufacture some form of Voice activated Menus,with an Audio aid to tell you where you are within the menus

Just as a reference,Stevie Wonder is also Blind but he copes or has coped over the years and he's an avid User of synthesizers,I suppose that perhaps there could be some sort of addition of Braile added to the texture of the Buttons on various synthesizers,which could help on a conventional synth but suppose the Oasys is a rather difficult Machine to manipulate in this way
KingJ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: I really like the Oasys, but... Reply with quote

Kontrol49 wrote:
KingJ wrote:

I have wondered why they never made a 61 Key version,but looking at the layout of the synth,would mean shortening the dimensions of the Overall synth,which with the current fascia and buttons etc,wouldn't permit them to fit onto a 61 note chassis,looking at the 76 Note version,it is right on the Mark to fit within those dimensions,if there was too be a smaller size then surely they would have to redesign the layout of the Buttons/Panel.

I don't think I could contemplate how difficult it would be to use synthesizers being visually impaired,let alone the Oasys to which Vision is a critical mode to its operation,Maybe you could contact Korg with your proposal,about making accomodations for your disability,so I suppose its rather frustrating Knowing that your sort of segregated from buying a wonderful instrument,when a few simple modifications could make it a reality for you,Isuppose using someone as an aid is helpful but not really practical all the time,it would be good if they could manufacture some form of Voice activated Menus,with an Audio aid to tell you where you are within the menus

Just as a reference,Stevie Wonder is also Blind but he copes or has coped over the years and he's an avid User of synthesizers,I suppose that perhaps there could be some sort of addition of Braile added to the texture of the Buttons on various synthesizers,which could help on a conventional synth but suppose the Oasys is a rather difficult Machine to manipulate in this way

I've never heard of Stevie Wonder using a Triton, an M3, or even an Oasys. As far as I know, he still uses a Yamaha Motif. The Motif series is easy for blind and visually impaired people to use, but it doesn't have half the features the Oasys does." I'm sorry about mensioning an Oasys-61. I didn't know there was only a 76 and an 88 key version. A 61 key version, without a touch screen, would be extremely great! BTW, what is the phone number for Korg here in the US?
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Muse Receptor might be an idea since it has been designed to operate all functions from the front panel. Installing more plugins on it might be the difficult part. As for using it, front panel control is really easy.
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kingj,

Unfortunately the electronic musical instrument industry is very small, and they therefore do not devote many (or any) resources towards designing products for use with the visually impaired.

Given you have two keyboards already that you are mastering, I might suggest looking at music software on personal computers for additional sounds.

Alternatively, if you are simply looking for additional sounds something like the Fantom XR rack might work.
KingJ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: I really like the Oasys, but... Reply with quote

Hey guies, I just thought of something the other night. It may be possible for some blind people to use Korg's touch screens. If everything is always in the same place on the screen, I could probably remember where everything is, with patience, hard work, and of course, someone to show me where everything is. If this is right, and it can be done, would I be able to go through things like MIDI songs, and voices, by either using a data dial, or plus and minus buttons on the Oasys or the M3? PS: I may be able to try some of what I'm talking about on either an Oasys or an M3 tomorrow.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: I really like the Oasys, but... Reply with quote

KingJ wrote:
Hey guies, I just thought of something the other night. It may be possible for some blind people to use Korg's touch screens. If everything is always in the same place on the screen, I could probably remember where everything is, with patience, hard work, and of course, someone to show me where everything is. If this is right, and it can be done, would I be able to go through things like MIDI songs, and voices, by either using a data dial, or plus and minus buttons on the Oasys or the M3? PS: I may be able to try some of what I'm talking about on either an Oasys or an M3 tomorrow.

On the OASYS, without using the touch-screen, you should be able to:

* Select sounds in Program and Combi mode, and songs in Sequencer mode (using the Bank buttons to select Program/Combi banks and inc/dec, data dial, or numeric keypad to select individual Programs, Combis, and Songs)
* Edit sounds using the Control Surface sliders, knobs, and switches (the main parameters are typically available here - but it's only a small subset of the total number of parameters)

Detailed editing and song editing will require the touch-screen, unfortunately.

For the M3, I wonder if the computer-based editor would be helpful to you? That might allow the use of screen-reading software.

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: I really like the Oasys, but... Reply with quote

KingJ wrote:
Kontrol49 wrote:
KingJ wrote:

I've never heard of Stevie Wonder using a Triton, an M3, or even an Oasys. As far as I know, he still uses a Yamaha Motif. The Motif series is easy for blind and visually impaired people to use, but it doesn't have half the features the Oasys does." I'm sorry about mensioning an Oasys-61. I didn't know there was only a 76 and an 88 key version. A 61 key version, without a touch screen, would be extremely great! BTW, what is the phone number for Korg here in the US?

I didn't mean that Stevie Wonder used any Korg synths specifically,I meant that he has used synthesizers in the past which have been adapted with Braille,most notably he had an ARP2600 modified with Braille,but those sorts of synths are a different area as they don't need to rely on a display or countless hidden Submenus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: