Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stevie Wonder has an M3?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingJ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Stevie Wonder has an M3? Reply with quote

I heard a rumor over on Motifator.com that Stevie Wonder not only has a Motif XS, but he also now has a Korg M3. I'm also blind, like Stevie, so I'm really curious as to how he gets around the touch screen. If he can do it, then I'm sure I could learn how. I thought that touch screens were impossible for blind people to navigate, but I'm beginning to think that I was wrong.
My fiancee and I got a brief chance to look at an M3 again Yesterday. I noticed that the touch screen on the M3 is a lot smaller than I expected it to be. This may make it much easier for blind people to navigate, if everything stays in pretty much the same place on the screen. For example, if there was always an edit link on the top right hand corner, a blind person could probably learn exactly where the edit link is. Blind people have to memorize screens, with the help of a sighted person, and I wonder if it might even be easier for us to memorize a touch screen, rather than memorizing button pushes. I know it's easier for a sighted person.
bctines

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I became partially blind a few months ago and find that there is quite a bit of continuity between screens. As you say that's very helpful. The page select screen is especially good about that. And most other page screen have their tabs in the same place.

Another thing that helps is that once you memorize where data entry fields are having both inc/dec buttons, as well as the number pad really helps. The data wheel doesn't work for me because I can't really feel the stops. Selecting programs and combis is pretty easy because you can inc/dec with the +/- buttons once the field is highlighted and that field is always in the same place.

I also have a Yamaha XS. It is much more awkward to use, but it does have hard keys for selecting some items on screen. That might be a plus.

Once you learn your way around all the features of the control surface on the M3, you can do a whole heck of a lot because you don't have to select fields first like on the XS in so many places. But it could be argued that field selection on the XS is easier because once you know you are at a certain screen you can just use cursor buttons to navigate from field to field. That's not too hard to memorize.

If sequencing is a biggie for you, then the XS is likely much easier as it is all done with buttons. Not the M3.

But all in all, if I lost all sight I think I'd find the M3 more rewarding, less frustrating.

But it's all so subjective. Got to try them out at leisure.

Maybe if you called someone like Sweetwater and told them your circumstances, you could get an extended trial at home which would certainly be a better environment. Probably have to speak with someone above the Sales Engineer level for that.

But whichever machine you pick, it'll provide you with a lifetime of reward, well worth the extensive effort.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if I can help further.

PS: Here's a thought that might really work well with the M3 touch screen.

It could be carefully measured and someone could make you templates from art or cardboard that you'd place over the screen. It'd have cut-outs for whatever fields you wanted. you could create different templates for different screens. Come to think of it, I think that's work really well and may give it a try.
KingJ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Stevie Wonder has an M3? Reply with quote

bctines wrote:
I became partially blind a few months ago and find that there is quite a bit of continuity between screens. As you say that's very helpful. The page select screen is especially good about that. And most other page screen have their tabs in the same place.

Another thing that helps is that once you memorize where data entry fields are having both inc/dec buttons, as well as the number pad really helps. The data wheel doesn't work for me because I can't really feel the stops. Selecting programs and combis is pretty easy because you can inc/dec with the +/- buttons once the field is highlighted and that field is always in the same place.

I also have a Yamaha XS. It is much more awkward to use, but it does have hard keys for selecting some items on screen. That might be a plus.

Once you learn your way around all the features of the control surface on the M3, you can do a whole heck of a lot because you don't have to select fields first like on the XS in so many places. But it could be argued that field selection on the XS is easier because once you know you are at a certain screen you can just use cursor buttons to navigate from field to field. That's not too hard to memorize.

If sequencing is a biggie for you, then the XS is likely much easier as it is all done with buttons. Not the M3.

But all in all, if I lost all sight I think I'd find the M3 more rewarding, less frustrating.

But it's all so subjective. Got to try them out at leisure.

Maybe if you called someone like Sweetwater and told them your circumstances, you could get an extended trial at home which would certainly be a better environment. Probably have to speak with someone above the Sales Engineer level for that.

But whichever machine you pick, it'll provide you with a lifetime of reward, well worth the extensive effort.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if I can help further.

PS: Here's a thought that might really work well with the M3 touch screen.

It could be carefully measured and someone could make you templates from art or cardboard that you'd place over the screen. It'd have cut-outs for whatever fields you wanted. you could create different templates for different screens. Come to think of it, I think that's work really well and may give it a try.

Hello Bctines, it's good to hear from another visually impaired keyboard player. I used to be under the misguided impression that Korg was descriminating against us visually impaired people with their touch screens, but I've been proven wrong. For now, I'm getting an XS, but I'm seriously considering adding the M3M later on down the road. I like the sounds in both the XS and the M3, but I need some of the sounds in the XS more right now. However, the Radias expansion card may be able to provide the analog sounds and synth effects I need. Do you know where I can hear an audio demo of the Radias card?

If I can get enough money, and if my fiancee doesn't kill me first, LOL, I may just bite the bullet and get an Oasys-76. Just think about this killer setup: Yamaha Tyros2, Yamaha Motif XS, and Korg M3M, or Korg Oasys-76. I'll have enough synths and keyboards to last a lifetime! I'd like to thank you, and Stevie Wonder, for proving me wrong about Korg products.

BTW, there is also a forum for your Motif XS over on Motifator.com. You might want to go over and have a look at it. There are two Yamaha guies, and several other gurus there, who can help you a lot .
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet every "pro" keyboardist, producer, etc... has a KORG WorkStation or atleast a module....

I can't imagine not having a KORG....
bctines

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King 3...
Quote:
there is also a forum for your Motif XS over on Motifator.com.

Yep, and I've spent time over several years chatting with Phil Clendenin.

What Sina and Vadim say about the OASYS is very true. I'd get the 76 before the M3M, and certainly before the XS. I'll bet you'd find the OASYS much more rewarding in the long run, unless you gig out a lot, in which case there's a lot to say for the lighter weight of the M3 and XS.

The OASYS has one overwhelming advantage for you, IMO. The size of the touchscreen. It's much easier to navigate on the OASYS screen than the M3, even though the M3 is fine. Certainly easier than the XS, excepting possibly sequencing where the hard keys can be helpful. Hat said, a template for the main sequencer screen would be a lot easier than anything.

Another GYNORMOUS advantage to OASYS: You have a full range of screen angles you can set the screen to, whereas only two in the M3 (other than how you set up your rack/stand). The angle adjustability is unbeatable. (Remember, I have all three of them so can compare every day.) I spend 80% of my time on the OASYS and use the M3 for on stage.

The template idea would really work well on the OASYS. I know I find the OASYS much easier to navigate with one eye than either the M3 or the XS.

So I'd have to recommend getting the OASYS first. I'd bet mine that you'd never regret it one iota.

The biggest reason I favor the OASYS is that it provides the lowest technological fence between your head and your composing. It can be very simple, or very deep, depending on where you want to go. But either way, the interface is the smoothest of anything currently being sold. It'll provide you a lifetime of rewarding musical achievements.

Also, IMO, even though the XS does have a bunch of extra sounds available through Keyfax and/or the Yamaha Loyalty Program, the OASYS has more. Most importantly, the OASYS collections (LAC, STR, Mod-7, etc) are truly differing engines/ genres. Not really the case with XS.

So with the OASYS, you are in a sense purchasing five or so synths for the price of one. And there'll be more! And there'll be more 3rd party programs and combis, too.

Just because you may have hung out for a while at Motifator shouldn't color your decision. I'm not knocking them. It's a great site and extremely useful with very active participation by the factory guys (Phil (Bad Mister), etc., who are extremely helpful. Once you settle in here and over at Stephen Kay's Karma-Lab Forums you'll find these every bit as welcoming and valuable as Motifator. More so in some ways.

Re RADIAS demos: have you tried going to either the M3 or RADIAS sections of "Korg.com"? Seems to me they had demos up there.

Bottom line? Given the disability, I don't think here's any way you can go wrong with an OASYS. And you can go more right than with either M3 or XS.

A long post, but hope it helps given the circumstances.
KingJ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bctines, the only things that are preventing me from getting an Oasys are money, and space. I just don't have 6 to 9 grand to burn right now, and I currently don't have enough space in my studio for it. The Oasys sounds like it would be the way to go when purchasing a Korg keyboard. I went on ahead today, and got the XS, but that doesn't mean I won't get the Oasys later on. I have to get the money, and I have to move to a house where I'll have enough room for it, before I can get it. I hope to have one in my studio some day soon. The Oasys is probably the closest thing to my all time favorite synth, the Synclavier, and that's why I want one, but I just can't afford one right now. Thanks for your suggestions about the Oasys, rather than the M3. Today, I had to make a decision between the M3M, and the XS, and for the types of music I play, the XS clearly has more of the right sounds. Even if and when I get an Oasys, I don't want to get rid of my XS any time soon. Both the Oasys and the XS have great points. I really like Motifator, but I also am really starting to like this site as well. I hope you all don't mind me posting on this site every now and then, until I get an Oasys.
bctines

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah..I'm sure you're welcome to post anytime.

Good luck with the XS. It's a nice board. But the OASYS-76 is physically not much bigger than the XS. Save up, it's the best choice by far.
dorremifasol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that blind people can actually operate both the Oasys and the M3 is amazing, I never thought it to be possible.

I still have much to learn!

Cheers
cowtothesky

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day, Greg Phillingaines (Stevie's keyboardist) was in town and got up with my band to jam. I had a Korg DW-8000 at the time and he played that as well as a DX-7. He commented to me how much he liked my string patches on the Korg Smile. This made my day!

And yes, I did tweak them. So, they were original patches. Wink
bctines

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Hope he autographed the synths.
KingJ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dorremifasol wrote:
The fact that blind people can actually operate both the Oasys and the M3 is amazing, I never thought it to be possible.

I still have much to learn!

Cheers

Hello Albert! I wonder if you thought it was me. I'm using a different username on here than I'm using over on Motifator. My Motifator username sounds more and more corny every day. I'm also amazed that blind people can use the M3, and even the Oasys! It sounds like once I learn the screen on one of them, it would be very easy for me to use. The Oasys has a lot to offer, and it would complement my new XS, and my Tyros2, really well. I've got to save up, but first, I've got to help get my fiancee and I into a house, then we may get married. After that, then I can start saving up for an Oasys-76. Does anyone know what those are going for used in the US?
KingJ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that Greg Phillingaines plays with Toto now. He also played on Michael Jackson's Thriller album. It must have been great to meat him. One of the Toto guies, either Greg Phillingaines or the other guy, I can't remember, plays a Triton, and also a Motif, but he has the Korg name blacked out on his Triton, because he's got some kind of deal with Yamaha. Now that I think about it, I think it's the other keyboard player. Toto is one of my favorite groups of their day, and they still rock!
dorremifasol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Josh, yes I thought it was you Very Happy

Probably you couldn't go wrong with the OASYS if you can afford it in the future, it sounds amazing and has a sound quality beyond any other synthesizer. I'ts not cheap, though, but once you check how many sounds, ROM and synthesis engines it has you will see that it's not that expensive.
KingJ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vadim, "say no to auto accompaniment keyboards?" I have a Yamaha Tyros2, but I didn't get it for the built-in styles, I got it for the sounds. Most of the stuff I sequence is in realtime, but I occasionally make my own styles for drum loops. I don't like using the built-in styles at a gig, because it feels like cheeting to me. However, if I use my own style instead, I feel like it's still my work.

BTW, isn't Karma a form of auto accompaniment, with even less control over it than you would have on a pro arranger? I wouldn't knock all arranger users either, if I were you. Just look at all the professional features that the PA2X has.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: