Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stevie Wonder has an M3?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
bctines

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King said...
Quote:
BTW, isn't Karma a form of auto accompaniment, with even less control over it than you would have on a pro arranger?

Absolutely no way! Shame on you

Do what Sina says. Learn about KARMA. Find out how/why it has infinitely more control than even the top pro arranger. Also carefully listen to Stephen Kay's videos that feature KARMA.

KARMA is to a Tyros or a PA (the style portion) like an F16 is to a paper airplane.

Arrangers have their place, but show me anyone who can improvise a drum solo on an arranger with never playing the same pattern twice, as you can with KARMA. Or on a baritone sax. Harp. Keys., etc. etc.

The only practical limit to KARMA is your knowledge, creativity, and dexterity. You are not locked realtime into styles, fills, intros, outros. You do what turns you on and what you can handle.
KingJ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:
KingJ wrote:
BTW, isn't Karma a form of auto accompaniment, with even less control over it than you would have on a pro arranger?

Dude, read up on KARMA. It's SOOOO FAR BEYOND ANY Arranger! KARMA is NOT pattern-based. It's PARAMETER Based in that you have FULL control of whats going on and you can make DRASTIC changes in BOTH the Rhythm and the notes being generated in REALTIME. The OASYS has 32 parameters that can be assigned to KARMA and it's mind blowing! Very Happy

Go to KARMA Labs and read the Question in the FAQ's on "What is KARMA?"

You'll get a VERY clear understanding of what it is and how it works.

Arrangers aren't even CLOSE to KARMA because how how much realtime control you have!

Sorry guies about the misunderstanding about Karma! I'll go over to Karmalabs and take a look at it. I wasn't putting down Karma at all, I was just stating that I thought that Karma was a form of auto accompaniment, and I thought the user had less control over it than with making their own styles. Karma sounds pretty cool from what you guies are saying.
rfoshaug

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, KingJ, what you are saying is at least partially true.

On an arranger keyboard with auto-accompainment, you can record any phrase and let the keyboard then play this phrase, transposed and shifted according to the chords you press. So if you recorded the phrase in C major and then play the chord A minor, the phrase would be in A minor, but still the exact phrase you recorded.

This can't be done with KARMA. On Karma, you select one of over 2,000 preset GE's (or you can make your own on if you purchase the KARMA M3 software when it is released). You can then tweak that GE with a bunch of parameters. Sure, there are a lot of possibilities of creating weird and wonderful patterns ranging from simple arpeggios to realistic strumming or complex cascades of notes, but if you want that specific pattern that you hear in your head to be played using the notes you press on the keyboard, it can't be done on the M3 alone without buying the additional software (which, by the way, is still some months from being released).

Sina172 says that KARMA is "SOOOO FAR BEYOND ANY Arranger! KARMA is NOT pattern-based. It's PARAMETER Based in that you have FULL control of whats going on and you can make DRASTIC changes in BOTH the Rhythm and the notes being generated in REALTIME. The OASYS has 32 parameters that can be assigned to KARMA and it's mind blowing!"

I agree that the possibilities are mind blowing, but I do not agree that you have FULL control of what's going on. Because I can't instruct the KARMA function to play a specific phrase the way I want, note by note.

Stephen Kay, the creator of KARMA, said earlier that he was trying to persuade Korg that a "turn-any-sequencer-phrase-into-a-GE" function should be added to the M3's operating system, but I don't know if this is a priority at Korg at this time.
rfoshaug

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
KARMA is to a Tyros or a PA (the style portion) like an F16 is to a paper airplane.

This is a very good comparison. An F-16 is very much more capable than a paper airplane, but it is only with the paper airplane that you can completely decide the shape yourself.
KingJ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rfoshaug wrote:
Well, KingJ, what you are saying is at least partially true.

On an arranger keyboard with auto-accompainment, you can record any phrase and let the keyboard then play this phrase, transposed and shifted according to the chords you press. So if you recorded the phrase in C major and then play the chord A minor, the phrase would be in A minor, but still the exact phrase you recorded.

This can't be done with KARMA. On Karma, you select one of over 2,000 preset GE's (or you can make your own on if you purchase the KARMA M3 software when it is released). You can then tweak that GE with a bunch of parameters. Sure, there are a lot of possibilities of creating weird and wonderful patterns ranging from simple arpeggios to realistic strumming or complex cascades of notes, but if you want that specific pattern that you hear in your head to be played using the notes you press on the keyboard, it can't be done on the M3 alone without buying the additional software (which, by the way, is still some months from being released).

Sina172 says that KARMA is "SOOOO FAR BEYOND ANY Arranger! KARMA is NOT pattern-based. It's PARAMETER Based in that you have FULL control of whats going on and you can make DRASTIC changes in BOTH the Rhythm and the notes being generated in REALTIME. The OASYS has 32 parameters that can be assigned to KARMA and it's mind blowing!"

I agree that the possibilities are mind blowing, but I do not agree that you have FULL control of what's going on. Because I can't instruct the KARMA function to play a specific phrase the way I want, note by note.

Stephen Kay, the creator of KARMA, said earlier that he was trying to persuade Korg that a "turn-any-sequencer-phrase-into-a-GE" function should be added to the M3's operating system, but I don't know if this is a priority at Korg at this time.

Can a sequencer phrase be turned into a GE on the Oasys?

BTW, I did some research on KARMA last night, and I have to say, you guies are right, it is mindblowing! Stephen Kay is a genius! That technology is far ahead of it's time. It must have taken him years to develop it. KARMA technology to phrases is like Yamaha's Super Articulation technology is to voices. Good job Stephen Kay!
bctines

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but it is only with the paper airplane that you can completely decide the shape yourself.

Well said Exclamation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: