Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Editing Drum Kits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Old Guy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Editing Drum Kits Reply with quote

I'm embarrased to ask this but for some reason I seem to go "brain dead" when I try to figure out Drum Kits.

If I want to edit a drum kit, how do you tell what multisamples make up the existing drum kit as loaded in the Extreme when it is shipped from the factory.

For example K004 - Jazz Brush Kits. When you go into Global you can see the first Multisample showing samples 111 and 112. How do I find the other samples ie: kick drum, snare drum etc. that are in this Kit.

If you bring up the other multisamples it shows highlighted ones but it highlights Normal BD and Dance BD etc. Which one is used in this Kit?

I'm sure there's a simple way of doing this but I just can't seem to comprehend it.

If anyone has a minute to help, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Old Guy
tritex4
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Quote:
If I want to edit a drum kit, how do you tell what multisamples make up the existing drum kit as loaded in the Extreme when it is shipped from the factory.

This info can be found in the VNL (Voice Name List).

Quote:
For example K004 - Jazz Brush Kits. When you go into Global you can see the first Multisample showing samples 111 and 112. How do I find the other samples ie: kick drum, snare drum etc. that are in this Kit.

Select "KEY".
Highlight the note and hold ENTER. Strike different keys and you'll see the notes change. As the notes change, you'll also see the High and Low drum samples tied to the notes.

Quote:
If you bring up the other multisamples it shows highlighted ones but it highlights Normal BD and Dance BD etc. Which one is used in this Kit?

They both are. Velocity determines how and when these will sound. In the case where the drum instrument is the same for both high and low drum samples, striking the key harder will cause the sample to sound with a different cutoff, resonance, attack or decay.

At times, you may not want to use the high and low drum sample switching. To disable the switching for the low drum sample, change the Velocity Sample Switch number to 001. If you prefer the lower sample instrument, just change the high drum sample instrument and it's settings to that of the lower one.

To lower or increase the volume of the drum program in a Combination, adjust the "Level".
To adjust the panning, select the Voice Mixer tab.
To copy a drum instrument or a range of drum instruments and settings, select Copy Key Setup from the Top tab.

Here are steps for creating your own user drum kit and program.
The settings of the original program will remain intact.

1. From the Program mode, *write Program K004 to N064, or any empty N bank.
*Use Write Program from the Top tab and change the Title to something like "My Jazz Kit".
Before pressing the final OK, go down to Program and change it to N064.

2. Go to Global, Drum Kit.

As you can see, 003 (A/B) : Jazz/Brush Kit is selected. You don't want to make any edits to it, because whatever combination uses the kit, will also take on the edits.

3. Change 003 (A/B) : Jazz/Brush Kit to
133 (User) : Drumkit133 or any empty user kit.

4. From the Top tab, select Copy Drum Kit and select From: 003 (A/B) : Jazz/Brush Kit

5. From the Top tab, select Rename Drum Kit and change the name to something like "My Jazz Kit".

6. Go to the Program mode and select P1: Edit-Basic.

7. Select the OSC Basic tab and change 003 (A/B) : Jazz/Brush Kit to
133 (User) : My Jazz Kit.

8. Press EXIT

Now you can edit the kit.
Do the following just to get a feel of the editing.

1. Turn on the arpeggiator and press a note.
You can hear the Claves.
Let's remove it.

2. Go to Global, Drum Kit.

3. At KEY, select the note D#6 (Claves).

4. Change the "Level" to -99.

5. Go back to the program mode and turn on the arpeggiator and press a note.
The Claves is now gone.

6. Finally, write your edited programs internally and to MEDIA (for a permanent copy).

If you go back to Program K004, the program settings are intact.
Program N064 is free to be used in combinations and sequences, with "your" settings.

Hopefully, this will make things clearer for you.
Old Guy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Editing Drum Kits Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the info.

I'm still a little confused on the editing.

Let's say I have now copied Standard Kit 1 to Nbank and want to do some editing. I want to lower the volume (level) on the snare drum in the copy. I go to the VNL. Are my to assume all the snare drum samples on the VNL page need to be lowered?

Sorry to sound so "dumb". This intrument is my first Korg and the Drum Kits seem to totally confuse me.

Thanks

Old Guy
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works like this, in the GLOBAL PAGE then DRUM KIT EDIT you have PRESET
and USER DRUMKITS.
Now, if you EDIT one of the PRESETS then you have toSAVE it in USER.
If you use it in BANK A002 and then change something to it and RESAVE it
to BANK N005 you get the same DRUM KIT with all the changes you made in
PROGRAM MODE like FX and other settings but PAN and VOLUME on each
individual DRUM stays the same as you EDITED in DRUM KIT MODE.
The way you change a VOLUME on certain DRUM/KEY is in DRUM KIT MODE,
as Tritex told you, you press ENTER and press the desired KEY and on each
SAMPLE you have the VOLUME parameter and also in the MIXER PAGE you
can change PAN and FX AMOUNT for each drum.
Old Guy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Editing Drum Kits Reply with quote

With your expert help, I think I've finally got it.

Thanks to both of you,

Old Guy
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: