Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Now, BIG problem with HARD DISK

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pegnafroy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Now, BIG problem with HARD DISK Reply with quote

Hi, dear friends:

I have a big problem with my new hard disk. I've buyed a scsi external hard disk at ebay.com. When i connect it to the Trinity the synth don't boot and freeze at logo screen. Later, i read that the hard disk must be terminated (hdr-tri manual), so, as i don't have a terminator i've buyed a scsi terminator for my hard disk, but when i start the power up sequence, the Trinity don't boot and freeze at logo screen.

Anyone have any idea?? I can't return the disk because i live in Chile and the dealer is in USA.

Anyone had the same problem at the past???

I've posted some weeks ago the problem and i've copied the error message in the post.

Now i have the terminator, rechecked all connections, power up in right sequence, the hard disk has the id #5, but nothing happened. When i power up the Trinity, the disk starts to spin, but that's all...

What can i do?????

Saludos desde La Florida, Santiago de Chile..

Froilán

Si no puedes contra ellos, cambia de vocalista...
MusiKman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, I wish I could help you. As I can feel your pain. I was there. At first, when I got my Hard disk, it didn't work. To make matters worse, I didn't have an SCSI card on my PC to test it.

If you can, buy an scsi card. I go the adaptec scsi card. I forgot what model. But I had to send the disk back to the seller. He was really nice and sent me another hard disk, including the SCSI card and cables. That was really nice. I payed the shipping so it was fair for both of us. After that, I was able to get the new disk recognized by Windows. Oh, remember to make sure that you install the Korg registry fix for windows so that windows will not mess up the boot directory or something like that on your drive. I have it, so if you need it let me know.

Another thing, make sure that you do a low level format on your hard disk. I don't remember doing that myself, as I had asked the seller to do that for me. In other words, I think that erases all windows partitions and formats the drive in DOS mode or something, not in NTFS format, but I think in FAT16, so make sure it is ready to be read by your trinity.

Either way, make sure to try it on a PC, even if they mess up the boot sector, just make sure the drive is in working condition. That way , you got one test out of the way.

Good luck my friend.
"I know the plans that I have for you, declares the LORD. They are plans for peace and not disaster, plans to give you a future filled with hope." Then you will call to me. You will come and pray to me, and I will hear you. "When you look for me,you will find me. When you wholeheartedly seek me, I will let you find me, declares the Lord." Jeremiah 29:11
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, SCSI cables are known to be problematic in cases. I remeber way back I had problems with an external SCSI drive, which went away when I tried another external cable.
pegnafroy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone:

Thanks for your replies. But i´ve tried all that i could do.

Man, the drive work properly, but only in my PC. That´s mean that my HDR-TRI can't manage the disk. I did a low level format in fat 16 mode, but the problem isn't that the drive appears as unformatted, the problem is that the Trinity don't boot up. The drive starts to spin and the logo appears, but after a few seconds the screen show me an error message. Really, i hate that message.

So i can't do a trinity format of the unit, because, if the disk is connected the synth don't go to any mode. Simply it frost at logo screen and nothing happened.

I've tried reinstall the OS (2.4.1 because my trinity had the SOLO-TRI). But the only solution that i can see is to buy an scsi case here, in my country, and try if it works with my silver beast.

If any had any idea, let me know in the forum.

Saludos desde Peñaflor.

Froilán

Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, this is why making SCSI work with a particular setup was sometimes referred to as akin to practising voodoo !

The only other thing I can think of is the type of SCSI drive you bought. I'm not sure the Trinity could manage drives more recent than SCSI-2 or SCSI-3. In other words, if you have an LVD drive, or Ultra 160 drive or later, I'm pretty sure this will not work, even with the proper cable.

To make sure your Trinity works with a SCSI drive, get something SCSI-1 or SCSI-2 in the 4 or 5Gb range max. Your Trinity cannot access more than that anyway.
pegnafroy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drive that i bought is selled by etroniQ at ebay, his drives are designed to work with Korg products (at least he claim that).

I can't test the drive on other trinity coz there is no other trinity in my area that carry the HDR-TRI or SCSI-TRI option inside.

The only solution that i can see is take my dad's mastercard and buy an Oasys.... Just kidding, i'm not able to pay that amount of money at that time. My dad have the credit, but i don't have the money.

I only want to record with my Trinity. Who have a hard disk that want to sell it to me??

But if any have one, i need to test it before buy it. Now, if i can't do this way, i can have the same result, waste of money and no hard disk recording with my Trinity.

God, god, god....

Saludos desde Peñaflor

Froilán

pegnafroy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, again:

I'm glad to announce that my problem was solved.

Simply, i bought another drive (an used cheap scsi magneto optical drive) just to test if my hdr-tri can manage an older drive. Finally, the hdr-tri's scsi port worked propperly. Now, i have to buy an internal scsi hard disk that match the connections of the drive, and i've learned an important lesson. SCSI: try before you buy.

I want to thank to all of the member that put they efforts in solve my problem and help me.

Saludos desde Peñaflor.

Froilán

MusiKman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pegnafroy wrote:
Hi, again:

I'm glad to announce that my problem was solved.

Simply, i bought another drive (an used cheap scsi magneto optical drive) just to test if my hdr-tri can manage an older drive. Finally, the hdr-tri's scsi port worked propperly. Now, i have to buy an internal scsi hard disk that match the connections of the drive, and i've learned an important lesson. SCSI: try before you buy.

I want to thank to all of the member that put they efforts in solve my problem and help me.

Saludos desde Peñaflor.

Froilán

I am very happy for you. I think the hard disk is definitely too new for the trinity, just as Francois suggested. Either way, I am glad you got it to work. You might want to email the seller and tell him that this drives do not work for the Trinity. Also, see if he is willing to swap with you for another drive.
"I know the plans that I have for you, declares the LORD. They are plans for peace and not disaster, plans to give you a future filled with hope." Then you will call to me. You will come and pray to me, and I will hear you. "When you look for me,you will find me. When you wholeheartedly seek me, I will let you find me, declares the Lord." Jeremiah 29:11
pegnafroy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi:

It's true, the drive that eTroniQ sell at ebay, isn't compatible with the Trinity, because his disks are Ultra Wide 68 or 80 pins SCSI.

So at the time when the HDR-TRI was released the standard in SCSI was SCSI-2 (no matter what connector), and if we expect that we can obtain backward compatibility, in SCSI normal world the thins not always be in the way that it would be.

So if you have SCSI-TRI or HDR-TRI, don't have any disk and want to buy one for your synth, make sure that the internal port of the hard disk had 50 pins (since no ultra wide disk have 50 pin connector), and the case that hold the drive had the same internal conector, i.e. 50 pin.

Once it's solved, assure that the disk had 11ms or less time of access (like Trinity synth engine ACCESS, joke).

That's all, i'm seeking for a hard disk, but the case assure me that once i've find it, it will work.

Saludos desde Santiago de Chile.

Froilán

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Trinity All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: