Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Million Dollar Question
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sharp wrote:
Well... actually you can.

There's two people on this forum who know how to burn EXB-PCM chips, but they are not telling anyone how it's done. Rolling Eyes

Regards.
Sharp.

Whoever knows this and don't wanna tell is a first class idiot, they can FOAD

juanchoja, this isn't the way you can attack someone.

If you are great sound engineer, spent numerous sleepless hours programming on your keyboard, sampled sounds until they are perfect copy of live instrument, or in this case, spend time and probably fried few keyboards until you figured how to make those chips - you would give all the results of your hard work to just anyone for free? Come on, give me a break.

Welcome to the forum, I see this is your first post, but you can't say something like that.

People who can do this do it for a price and it's OK.

Sharp sells Grand piano samples for a price, it's OK too.

For two months or so I'll sell my samples for a price. I spent last two months not dating, not sleeping, not living like normal human being, just sampling, recording, editing samples and making programs of them and will spend two months more probably, if not even more, and everything I come with I should just give away? "Here, I worked hard but you can enjoy it".

Come on, be serious.

It obviously isn't easy to make those chips, because anyone would make them if it was easy, so it's OK for those people who do it to collect money for their knowledge.[/quote]
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I
Quote:
f the ram had a permanent power source then the volatility would not be an issue, similar to the application of a BIOS battery in a PC... I'm sure that while the RAM is sat doing nothing with the triton turned off then it wouldn't be too power hungry, and when the triton is powered on it could switch to the naitive supply.

Maybe it would be completely unfeisable, I certainly don't have a great knowledge about these things and doubt i could implement such a thing.... Just an idea guys

tomleitch, this option actually could work, I think...

I remember seeing one article about device made basically of 4 RAM bars, capacity 1 GB each, that serves as hard drive, let's call it that way. I would have to browse through my papers to find that, but that device could boot XP in a second, for example.
So probably it could do similar thing with keyboards, meaning remembering our samples. But I think it would require some editing of Triton's OS to make it work properly, because OS is configured to detect empty RAM during boot up, I think, I wonder would it recognize samples during boot up?
tomleitch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I remember seeing one article about device made basically of 4 RAM bars, capacity 1 GB each, that serves as hard drive, let's call it that way. I would have to browse through my papers to find that, but that device could boot XP in a second, for example.
So probably it could do similar thing with keyboards, meaning remembering our samples. But I think it would require some editing of Triton's OS to make it work properly, because OS is configured to detect empty RAM during boot up, I think, I wonder would it recognize samples during boot up?

Your right Shrike, you've just reminded me of it - i believe it was made by Gigabyte and called iRam or something like that. I seem to recall it getting rave reviews on tom's hardware!

if i remember rightly the iram would lose its data if the pc was not powered up within about 48hrs i think (but again thats just down to the batteries they use)..... so we can assume that keeping RAM powered up is alot more hungry than a BIOS. (*although the iRam or whatever it was called had 4xDDR2 rather than 3xSIMMS or whatever it is in the Extreme - maybe a bit less hungry)

So with the right power source then maybe the ram could be 'saved' for 3-4 days with no power source to the keyboard.... which would be perfect for most gigging musicians as it would allow for transportation and act like a mini UPS in the event of a power loss.

EDIT: The iRAM saves data for 16hrs battery is 3.7v 1700mAh
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/09/07/can_gigabyte/page3.html

Last edited by tomleitch on Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
tomleitch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*shrike - it was the iRam - here's the link

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/09/07/can_gigabyte/
tomleitch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But I think it would require some editing of Triton's OS to make it work properly, because OS is configured to detect empty RAM during boot up, I think, I wonder would it recognize samples during boot up?

If people are booting EPROM's in the RAM sockets then maybe no OS upgrade is required.
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this iRAM is similar to what i saw, but this was external unit, but the same thing basically.

Don't know really about these things, automatically recognizing samples during boot up, how can that be without OS intervention? Well, maybe there is a way, you can do what ever you want with electronics these days.

I sure would like to see those burned chips that people are already using, just to see how does it work.

Interesting, no user that has those chips posted anything in this tread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: