Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the Kurzweil PC3 a M3 Killer?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Megakazbek wrote:

Well, it's already known that PC3 WILL have VAST capabilities greatly exceeding those of K26xx, so there's no need to guess here.

Just FYI, the PC2 series used VAST and KDFX ported to a new OS (which is the base for the PC3), the problem was nearly all of the editing capabilities were hidden from the PC2 user. With the PC3 OS, Kurzweil has opened up the sound engine similar to the interface K26 series users have had in the past.
XVampireX

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what do you people say, PC3 or M3, which has the best sound and programmability?
purveyor2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XVamp

I bought and returned a K2661 right before getting the M3. Since the soundset on the PC3 will largely be the same I think I can give you a reasonable response.

If (big if) Kurz actually makes VAST more accessible as some info has hinted at, the Kurz could be an everyboard killer. My major complaints with the K2xxx were not at all related to sound quality, build quality, programmability, etc. There weren't enough effects available, simple programming tasks took way too long, file system convoluted (Korg not tons better).

The PC3 sliders should help a bunch with common edits, KDFX is expanded, new sample set. Many of my issue should be resolved with the new board.

If you want very quick track construction, more synth/modern style go Korg you will be happy. If you are primarily a player, go Kurz. Bottom line with Kurz is spend some significant time with the o.s. to see if it pisses you off. Unfortunately I couldn't live with it.
Megakazbek

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinHines wrote:

Just FYI, the PC2 series used VAST and KDFX ported to a new OS (which is the base for the PC3), the problem was nearly all of the editing capabilities were hidden from the PC2 user.

The VAST in PC2 isn't even near what's available in K2xxx (PC2 has only 4 layers instead of 32 in K2xxx, only a small subset of K2xxx algs and DSP blocks, and of course no TMP found in K26xx), while PC3's VAST exceed K26xx's in every way, and is more like a revolutionary update than a few minor improvements.
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Megakazbek wrote:
The VAST in PC2 isn't even near what's available in K2xxx (PC2 has only 4 layers instead of 32 in K2xxx, only a small subset of K2xxx algs and DSP blocks, and of course no TMP found in K26xx)

I stand corrected. I guess I bought into the Kurzweil marketing speak when they hyped the PC2 series using VAST and KDFX.

Megakazbek wrote:
while PC3's VAST exceed K26xx's in every way, and is more like a revolutionary update than a few minor improvements.

I suspect the market will view the PC3 as similar to the K26 series, but at a lower price point. Given the lack of sampling in the PC3, the market most likely will not look at the PC3 as revolutionary.

I do hope they sell reasonably well, in order to keep Kurzweil in business.
synthdogg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XVampireX wrote:
So what do you people say, PC3 or M3, which has the best sound and programmability?

You may have to wait until people get a chance to play a PC3 before you get a reasonable response.
Megakazbek

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XVampireX wrote:

PC3 will be a LOT more programmable than M3. It's actually closer to Nord Modular in probrammability.
As for the sound, IMHO K2600 is already better than M3 and PC3 will be better than K2600.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: