Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Selling a keyboard to someone overseas

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingJ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Selling a keyboard to someone overseas Reply with quote

I don't even know where to begin. I've been limiting myself to customers in the US only, and that may be why I haven't gotten any hits on any of the keyboards I've been trying to sell. If someone sens me a private message telling me that they're interested in one of my keyboards, but the person is overseas, what do I do about the currency and shipping? I don't want to use PayPal if I don't have to. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you listed your keyboards on eBay?

I personally don't sell overseas due to all of the potential problems. Getting the money isn't that hard if you request some type of money or postal money order in U.S. dollars, then wait to ship until your bank is positive the funds are real (i.e. not a bogus money order).

You could use PayPal, but I am not sure what type of Seller guarantee you have -- i.e. the protection you would need if the Buyer claimed you did not ship the product.

I sold a computer video board once to someone in Germany, then had to spend 6 months dealing with the U.S. Post office to file and process my Postal Insurance claim.

Assuming you are selling on eBay, here are a few tips that I think work:

1. Vacuum and polish/clean your keyboard so it looks fantastic, then take a bunch of good digital photos. Pay the $1.00 extra fee for the Photo pack, which gives you up to six photos and Maximize size.

2. Provide some actual links to prices for the corresponding new product. For example, give them a link to a new Motif XS showing them the current price (so they don't have to do any research but clicking).

3. Provide a fixed shipping rate and include it in the auction under Shipping. I box, measure and weigh my items then calculate a theoretical cost to a city in California (since I live in Wash, DC), and then list that price as my shipping price for everyone. I believe buyers are happier when they can be guaranteed a final price versus having the unknown about shipping.

4. Price the item fairly. On eBay you can search on "completed listings" and see at what real prices similar products sold. If you see a real auction where the Seller had great pictures, included all of the original boxes and materials (implying they took good care of the product) and yours is not quite as nice looking, you should expect something less.

5. You don't lose much by relisting multiple times. When compared to the Final Value Sale fees, listing fees are very small. It really won't cost you that much money to run a 10-day auction for a number of 10-day cycles. Remember that it only takes one Buyer who is willing to meet your price.
KingJ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Martin for the quick response. I've never sold anything on EBay before, so I don't know much about it. How much of a percentage of the sale do they take? How much are the other fees? I'm trying to decide whether it's even worth all the trouble of putting my stuff on EBay. If I can sell my PSR3000 and my MO6, I would probably be able to keep my XS6, but I need to know how much EBay charges. I've heard they charge a lot. My fiancee and I have an account with them, but we've never used it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Buy & Sell All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: