Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maybe stupid topic: not so good feeling playing M3 sounds
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: m3 VS older Korgs Reply with quote

wuss88 wrote:

Do an A/B test with an M3 and a Triton/Trinity/TR/X series/N series synth. Set the same levels etc. Set up a piano patch for example. Or a string. Or a Hammond patch. You'll be bloody surprised. The older ones wont even come close in terms of depth and thickness.

I was impressed with the M3 compared to the Triton.

The M3 is much brighter and has more "air" in its patches. A much cleaner sound, although it can also produce edgy sounds and "grit" (especially with EXB-Radias).

It would benefit from more patches and combis of course.
muziksculp

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M3 keeps impressing me more, and more, every day I use it !

At first, I thought the M3 was just good sounding, but as I began editing the presets programs, and combinations, the M3 began showing off its real colors ! Wow, ths thing can sing !

A very important factor is the M3's "effects processor". It is an integral part of the sound you hear, so the way you use IFX , MFX , and TFX and EQ will have a significant effect on the overal sound characteristics of the M3.

It can go from very warm, analog like (which the M3 does very well, and not that many synths out there do it), or you can also go to a sharp, penetrating digital characteristic, all depending on the way the effects system is used.

In addition to the effects processor, the programs themselves can be enhanced quite a bit, depending on what you are trying to achieve, for example, many of the preset programs are programmed using only MS1 for OSC1 and OSC2. but, you can use MS2, MS3, and MS4) for each OSC, with crossfade settings for more detailed, and rich sound design, although this will consume more polyphony, and will require quite a bit of time programming.
korg_nikos

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything we could say on this topic will lead us nowhere. Do you know why? Cuz in general terms sound and it's quality could be a very subjective issue.

People decode the sound with a lot of different references. I could talk about waveform composition and wave convolution but i guess that would complicate things.

My opinion is that the M3 has some good stuff but i think that you guys overrate it. It is not such an evolution from Triton Series (especially Extreme version). Ok it features the Karma2 but according to my opinion we are not dj's. We are musicians!

A large part of Balkan, Greek, and generally Middle East and Oriental keyboard players actually dont like it. Do you know why? It features no Physical Modelling. This is essential for our music.

I would not even give 100 euros to obtain this synth. I have moss and solo-tri in my extreme and trinity and the sounds i get with those two babies are far away better than M3 ones.

When the matter comes to western music which we do also play... ok it is a good instrument but not something outstanding.

I think that this is the reason that M3 was cheap enough in Greek market in comparison to other western countries.

When the synth was first introduced i could buy it for 1800 Euros. I think that the price now could drop by 100 euros more.

I am not trying to "glorify" Triton and Trinity. I am just trying to be as much objective as possible.

Please note that i am not talking about the presets. I have checked it as much as deeply as i could

Thanks and Regards
muziksculp

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

korg_nikos wrote:
Anything we could say on this topic will lead us nowhere. Do you know why? Cuz in general terms sound and it's quality could be a very subjective issue.

People decode the sound with a lot of different references. I could talk about waveform composition and wave convolution but i guess that would complicate things.

My opinion is that the M3 has some good stuff but i think that you guys overrate it. It is not such an evolution from Triton Series (especially Extreme version). Ok it features the Karma2 but according to my opinion we are not dj's. We are musicians!

A large part of Balkan, Greek, and generally Middle East and Oriental keyboard players actually dont like it. Do you know why? It features no Physical Modelling. This is essential for our music.

I would not even give 100 euros to obtain this synth. I have moss and solo-tri in my extreme and trinity and the sounds i get with those two babies are far away better than M3 ones.

When the matter comes to western music which we do also play... ok it is a good instrument but not something outstanding.

I think that this is the reason that M3 was cheap enough in Greek market in comparison to other western countries.

When the synth was first introduced i could buy it for 1800 Euros. I think that the price now could drop by 100 euros more.

I am not trying to "glorify" Triton and Trinity. I am just trying to be as much objective as possible.

Please note that i am not talking about the presets. I have checked it as much as deeply as i could

Thanks and Regards

Hi korg_nikos,

The M3 was not designed with a focus on Balkan, Greek, Middle Eastern, or Oriental music production applications.

I agree, the M3 lacks big time in the type of sounds needed for that type of music, although it has a Bouzouki, it is nothing to brag about. So, I totally agree on this point.

It also lacks in very high quality orchestral strings, brass and woodwinds, and Orch. percussion that would be required for a serious orchestral score, but the M3's Orchestral sounds are decent enough to use in a mixed production of synth and acoustic emulation.

I used to own a Trinity Rack at some point (and that was like ten years ago !), but sold it, I can still remember some of the programs and the sound quality of the samples, they were just fantastic ! I was hoping that the Korg will revive the sounds the Trinity had, and go further with them with the M3, but that sadly did not happen, and I'm not a big fan of the Triton line.

The M3 is another beast all together, IMHO it is great for many music genres, Pop, New Age, Chill, Electronica, Trance, House, and your own new genre if you want to get really creative with it !

I also own a Motif XS7, and find the acoustic emulations the XS offers are much more convincing, and detailed sounding than the M3, but, I would not generalize this, the M3, with a bit of customizing can produce some fantastic instrumental tracks.

The M3 with Karma 2, is a like an experimental lab for musical ideas, it makes me work in very creative manner, it provides me with some great, and unique tools, to discover (New Sonic Scapes) that are very adventerous and interesting.

Finally, there might be some hope of enhancing the current sounds of the M3 with a line up of some new EXB-USB-PCM based sample libraries, it will be nice to see a wide spectrum of sounds covered including High Quality Greek and other exotic music instruments from around the world, Orchestral sounds, more drums/percussion, ...etc.

So, to conclude, I have to say that I feel the M3 has a lot going for it, and that I'm very satisfied and happy with my M3-61.

Cheers.
korg_nikos

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree but consider this...

Which keyboard of Korg was dedicated to Balkan Greek or Middle East music? None of them.

You have right about the sounds of M3 and i am not suggesting that this keyboard is not a nice piece.

What i am trying to say is no matter what exb pcm Korg releases they wont be anywhere near Physical Modelling...cuz sample is just a "picture"...a static piece of sound. It can get a lot of modifying but Physical Modelling is another story.

Another sad thing is that Yamaha did also the same with the XS series. ES featured PM with the optional VL board but sadly these features were not included in the XS.

Perhaps both companies considered that PM is not a good marketing tool. The truth is that many find it difficult to program.

Anyway what i am trying to say is not that the M3 is not good. I am just saying that it doesn't suit my needs. That simple.

Thanks and Regards
muziksculp

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I understand your point. Physical Modeling is very different when you comapre it to ROM based samples, but PM has not been very successful IMHO in producing very convincing acoustic emulations. The sounds are still quite synthy, but with much more character, and detail, unless I missed something this has not changed much so far.

On the software side of things, PM technology seems to be advancing quite rapidly, but that is SW, and we are talking about HW based keyboards.

So, I wonder, what seems to be the most popular keyboard workstation for Greek, Middle Eastern, Balkan, and other world instrument sounds, that is NOT an arranger type keyboard, it seems these types of sounds are always bundled in arrangers, for playing live in clubs, and/or concerts. i.e. (Yamah PSR, or Korg Pa series are arranger keyboards.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: