Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wave sweeps, are they possible?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingJ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Wave sweeps, are they possible? Reply with quote

Is it possible to do wave sweeps on the M3 like you can on the Oasys?
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: ...... Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Trinity2112
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Wave sweeps, are they possible? Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:
The M3 is TREMENDOUSLY scaled down from that of the OASYS

Yeah, especially the sequencer.
Current Korg Lineup: Kronos 61, Oasys 76 · M3-61/RADIAS · Trinity Plus/HDR · 01/WFD · 01R/W · X3R · M3R · Wavestation EX · Wavestation SR · Triton Rack/MOSS · Z1EX · TR-Rack · Karma · D3200 · iM1 · iWavestation · iMono/Poly
Other Synths: Berhinger Deepmind 12 · iProphet · Moog Model D
Dearly departed: X3
Subpar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it not possible with the Radias expansion...

Dustin
Aka Subpar
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: ...... Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Wave sweeps, are they possible? Reply with quote

KingJ wrote:

The closest you'll get is KARMA wave sequencing on the M3 (The Oasys also supports this functon). The Radias expansion also supports wave sequencing of sorts but only with the limited set of waves that it includes. The real full fat wave sequencing functionality in the Oasys makes even the venerable old Wavestation look rather tame. It's one of the really great features of the Oasys HD-1 engine.

Daz.
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also be able to record simple wave sweeps using tone adjust ... if one of the controllers is assign to the Multi-sample #. I can't remember whether that only affects the sample used at note-on.
lcmorley

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Wave sweeps, are they possible? Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:
KingJ wrote:

No. You can't. The M3 is TREMENDOUSLY scaled down from that of the OASYS, and they aren't even CLOSE in quality. Wink

Sina172 - Why are you always so bitter about the M3. It is a good workstation for what it is. KingJ was asking a simple question, and you seemed to use this as an excuse ridicule it.

You have an Oasys, we don't. You wanted to pay £5000+, we don't.

Yes, the Oasys has more functionality than the M3, but then I would expect that for a synth that costs nearly 3 times as much. I am sure that people are not stupid on this forum, and don't really warrant that kind of response! Why do you always feel the need to justify your purchase by constantly belittleing people on this forum!

Please checkout my music at www.soundcloud.com/lcmorley

My Gear History (from 11 years old until now):
Yamaha PSR-31, Technics KN1000, Technics KN5000, Technics KN7000, Korg PA-80, Korg Triton Classic, Microkorg, Korg Triton Studio, Alesis Ion, Korg Legacy Collection, Korg Triton Extreme, Roland Juno D, Access Virus TI 2, Korg M3, Korg Oasys, Roland TR-8, Korg Kronos 2 88 Platinum.
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely, the M3 is a great piece of kit ... with it's native synth engine and the Radias EXB installed, it really offers a lot in synthesis terms. For example the comb filter on the Radias board will let you do some simple string modelling.

KARMA Wavesequencing is very cool. Especially with the upcoming arrival of the the KARMA M3 software from Karma Lab which will let you create your GE's/KARMA Wavesequences.

Daz.
Trinity2112
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Wave sweeps, are they possible? Reply with quote

lcmorley wrote:
Sina172 - Why are you always so bitter about the M3. It is a good workstation for what it is. KingJ was asking a simple question, and you seemed to use this as an excuse ridicule it.

Yeah, why is that, Sina? Both you and Nedium have gone out of your way many times to slam an instrument neither of you own. What's the point? Is that your idea of support for M3 owners in an M3 forum? Or are you just insanely biter over the M3's 480 ppq resolution?
Current Korg Lineup: Kronos 61, Oasys 76 · M3-61/RADIAS · Trinity Plus/HDR · 01/WFD · 01R/W · X3R · M3R · Wavestation EX · Wavestation SR · Triton Rack/MOSS · Z1EX · TR-Rack · Karma · D3200 · iM1 · iWavestation · iMono/Poly
Other Synths: Berhinger Deepmind 12 · iProphet · Moog Model D
Dearly departed: X3
Unknown Sound

Location: On a small island just off the coast of an island not to far from Antarctica

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: Wave sweeps, are they possible? Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:
Trinity2112 wrote:
Sina172 wrote:
The M3 is TREMENDOUSLY scaled down from that of the OASYS

Yeah, especially the sequencer.

The Sequencer is a different story. But I didn't buy it for its Sequencer, and I've looked elsewhere to obtain that functionality. The M3 does have 480 PPQN, but you know what? That's ALL it offers over the OASYS in the Sequencer side and unlike the M3, the OASYS is based on Software, which is FAR more expandable than the M3 will EVER be.

But I DO agree with you on the Sequencer side. They are BOTH dinosaurs and they need to either get overhauled, or just updated to current standards.

The M3 cant even touch the Synth Engines in the OASYS. They scaled it down to a more affordable solution, hence the difference in price.

And no, the Radias doesn't have Wave Shaping, and even if it did, it would be a crippled version of the OASYS. The Radias actually uses some of the AL-1 parameters and took Vocoding to the next level with Pitch, Time and Formant Modulation capabilities. I think that most, if not all OASYS users would love a Radias inside the OASYS, because of what it does.

But MOD-7 is what you want for Wave Shaping and is FAR beyond any FM Synth that ever existed, because of the tremendous amount of parameters you are given. And unlike traditional FM Synths, the MOD-7 is a JOY to program, because of that screen and the control surface.

Sina

Sorry Sina but you do spew out a load of crap at times.

1. The M3 synth engine is not actually a 'scaled down' OASYS version.
2. The cost to develop each synth engine has only a small bearing on actual implementation and bringing the total product to market. How much does MOD-7 cost?
3. What is the difference between Wave Shaping, Wave Sequencing and Wave Table Sweeping? Do you really know.

Your enthusiasm about synths and particularly the OASYS has been noted many times in the Forum. It doesn't give you free license to put down non OASYS synths and post misleading information. Sometimes your Posts come across as though they were written by a wondering Troll trying to stir up Korg users.

There are legitimate questions posted by legitimate users wanting legitimate answers and Korg Forums has always been a wonderful meeting place of like minds. Thanks to DAZ, Sharp and contributors like Mike Conway, KorgForums is probably the best synth product Forum on the Net. IMHO.

So please, next time do us all a favor and think a little before you Post.

_US.
KingJ

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Wave sweeps, are they possible? Reply with quote

Well, I've decided not to get an Oasys anyway, because of it's crappy sequencer, so Sina's enthusiasm for the Oasys won't convince me anyway. The Radias sounds pretty cool though. I may do some research on the M3M, and go that route instead of the Oasys.

I do agree with you, that Sina can sound like a troll at times. I love the sound of the Oasys, but it's pitiful sequencer really turns me off! An M3/XS combo would probably do most of what I want to do. I wish Korg would come out with a separate MOD7 unit. I love the sound of MOD7! I also think wave sequencing is very cool, and I wish the M3 could do it.

BTW, how are the LFOs on the M3 and the Radias, compared to those on the Oasys? Can they go as fast, and do they have offsets? The LFOs are a major weakness on my XS6.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: