Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OMG! Who wrote this song??????? TEKNOSYS?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ultimate Dj
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: OMG! Who wrote this song??????? TEKNOSYS? Reply with quote

Hello all,
I just heard the demo song in the Oasys called TEKNOSYS and i was blown away! I couldnt believe that somebody wrote that on the Oasys! it is really incredible! Very Happy Smile
I bounced it and put it on my Mp3 player.
Does anyone know who made this song???

Thanx much

Pura Vida
DJ Cool
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome track isn't it Cool It was Peter Schwartz a.k.a ski ... who also created a lot of the Programs for the AL-1, MOD-7 etc. on the Oasys.

MP3 -> http://www.korg.com/downloads/mp3/oasys/teknosis.mp3

Daz.
ski
Independent Sound Designer for Korg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ultimate DJ and Daz, glad you guys like it! After reading your post I did a search of my hard drive to find a copy and I'm just listening to it now for the first time in a long time. Brings back good memories of writing and programming that song! Forgot how much is going on in there LOL!! Fun with controllers, KARMA, analog sounds, creating reverse effects, and so on.

Cheers!

Peter "Ski" Schwartz
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first heard TEKNOSIS, I was thinking "cool." I was too distracted by the OASYS to really just take it in. About a year later, I loaded the song and couldn't believe I didn't really "catch it", until then. It's great.
devix

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's simply fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I listened to that cut when I first got the Oasys and thought it was pretty incredible.
Now listening again, all I can say is holy s**t Peter, where do I even begin to achieve such perfection.
It makes me realize after owning the O for 2+ years how little I know and may never come to know.

Did you write this solely on the Oasys sequencer, drums and all, track by track?...

Beyond Mint, great work here Peter!
ski
Independent Sound Designer for Korg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for all the compliments!

Lou, it's been a few years now since I did that demo so I don't know that I'll remember all the details, but yes, it was done on the Oasys Sequencer. I believe I built it up in sections and then copied stuff from one Song to another. I remember there was a LOT of event editing, program changes, effects automation, and overdubbing various Combi parameters (like turning Oscillators on and off and changing pitch bend ranges). And of course on a track like that, Quantizing was my friend! Cool

The backwards effect at the top was a bit of a happy accident. OK... first, I planned to start off the song with backwards hihats. I did this by starting with forward HH's and then overdubbing the "reverse" parameter from within the Combi. After that I remember moving the pitch bend lever while it was playing back and heard a change which reminded me tape being fast-forwarded against the head. I wasn't expecting that effect exactly, but it gave me the idea to change the opening to sound more like actual tape being fast-forwaded against the head and then slowing down into the tempo of the song.

So at that point I started all over again, first by recording a pitchbend range change (Combi parameters) to give me a wider amount of bend than the patch normally gives you. Then, in realtime I played the notes, accelerating and decelerating my playing to simulate how notes would sound when tape speeds up and slows down against the head. Simultaneously I played the pitchbend to raise and lower the pitch accordingly. I got lucky and got it right on the first take! (That doesn't always happen, trust me!). Not so for the ending, where it took me a long time to get that right...

The gated synth sound is KARMA working on Giant Rotary. I believe the voicey thing in the body of the song is actually the Theremin patch. The drums for the main part of the song were played in, with some copy/paste action going on. But the drums for the craziness towards the end were generated by KARMA. When it goes into half-time I went back to playing the notes manually.

All tolled I think it took me a few weeks to get it right.

Anyway, hope that gives you some insight, and thanks again for the compliments everyone!
EJ2
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not all Ski composed for OASYS' demos songs. Check out Sinfonia Russe (or as titled on Korg OASYS, Red Square Sinfonietta). Just an aweswome showcase of OASYS orchestral sounds. You should have that within the factory sngs. Also, check out the other demo mp3s at http://www.korg.com/GEAR/prod_info.asp?a_prod_no=OASYS&category_id=1 and look for Peter's name in the mp3 tags or credits. From symphonic to techno to cinematic to soundscape ..... you name it, Ski's a very talented musician/composer/sound designer. We forutunate indeed to have him on our team.
Cheers,
Eric

CATALYST v 2 Blast of Inspiration for KRONOS & OASYS: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst2.html
CATALYST v 1 Combi Explosion for KRONOS, OASYS, M3, & K-M50: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst1.html
CHEMISTRY 3, a Groove Injection for Your Karma: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/chem3.html
SoundCloud MP3 Demoshttps://soundcloud.com/ej2-sc
JamesD

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I DISLIKE techno, I have to marvel at the technique and musicality Ski put into this piece. It is a veritable smorgasboard of advanced techniques and I know we are all greatfull for Ski having shared some of his vast technical know-how, as frankly, I had no idea how it was done. I think the KARMA usage is mind blowing.

O88 Serial 1088
silverdragonsound
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this read the thread and waited all day to rush home and listen to the demo on my Oasys. So I was delayed and finally got home only to have to entertain unsuspecting guests. Finally I get the chance to boot up the Oasys and listen to the demo. But no, I have to help clean up. Finally I go on and my Oasys is ready to go. I spend about 10 minutes trying to figure out how to listen to the demos. Of course I come back here to post only to find out I missed the link to the demo as I read this thread. Rolling Eyes Thumbs Up 3d Faint d'oh!
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, that truely is a brilliant piece. My fave amongst all the songs made available with the O. If you listen closely you can hear melodies going in the background. I remember when i first got the Oasys, August 2005, that was one piece i constantly loved listening too through my speakers nice and loud as opposed to the mp3 demo's that were provided on Korg before the release of the O. You have to listen to it loud - it is extremely powerful. Well done Ski.

Billy
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
Ultimate Dj
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ski wrote:

And of course on a track like that, Quantizing was my friend! Cool
Anyway, hope that gives you some insight, and thanks again for the compliments everyone!

Shocked Shocked
Do you really expect us to have a clue what your talking about? Laughing
Seriously though, i have seen Quantizing many times and i still have no idea on how to use it. Any help? Very Happy
I love trance/dance music and am trying very hard to produce something of quality. So anything you can pass would be used very much. Smile

*thinks Think * Idea Idea Idea Ah ha! i know. I'll just take apart some of Teknosys rearrenge it add some new stuff and make it my own!!!! Very Happy Laughing
What a genius idea! Laughing

Pura Vida
DJ Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: