Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

X50/Sonar 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg X-50 / microX
View previous topic :: View next topic  
broken99

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: X50/Sonar 6 Reply with quote

I've read that Sonar ships with a large assortment of instrument definitions, but all I see are the standard GM, Roland GS, Yamaha, etc. Can anyone tell me if there is an instrument definition file for the X50 for Sonar, preferably including the Multis and Combis? I feel dumb as a bag of hammers, trying every possible configuration of Ins, Outs, ports, etc., and just cannot get the X50's voices to play in Sonar. I've read here on some other posts that if you use USB rather than a MIDI connection, you don't even need to import instrument definitions. How is that?
Honestly, I'm fairly bright, but I feel like someone is trying to teach calculus to a polar bear, trying to get this to play. Any help or inputs are greatly appreciated. Great forum! Thanks in advance. Ken
robert1836

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a newbie to all of this stuff, but I have gotten Sonar 6 Home Studio to talk to the X50 (and vice versa). I am only using the USB connection. You have to install the VST plug-in using the CD that comes with the X50. I installed it to "c:\program files\cakewalk\vstplugins\". Then you have tell Sonar that the plug-in is there and it will appear in the SynthRack (I don't recall the exact steps, but tinker with it a little and it should work). Good luck with it!

-Robert
broken99

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the reply, Robert. I already have the editor installed, along with the latest drivers. I can record from the X50 into a MIDI track, but it doesn't play the selected X50 voice, as I'm recording, either. I've tried this with Local Control both Off and On on the X50. I have the X50 as my input, and assigned as my output. I get no playback sound whatsoever when the X50 is selected as the output, but I get the cheesy soundcard synth sounds when I switch to my soundcard as the output. I know I'm missing one stinking little step, and it's making me nutsy! I've read, and re-read and re-read both the X50 manual, the Sonar manual, the Sonar user forum, the Sonar 6 Power! book, and I'm still missing something.....
robert1836

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I knew what else to suggest. I also have the X50 set as my MIDI output and when I replay the recording it plays back through my X50 to my amp. I just bought Sonar last week so I am still learning. Let me know if there are any settings that I can check for you.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't be able to hear the sound of the X50 unless you use headphones or connect its L+R Main audio output somewhere such as to powered speakers or to an input to the soundcard of your computer.
The USB connection only handles midi signals, not audio output.

When playing multi-track midi files in 16 channel GM format, then you will normally want the X50 to be in MULTI mode.
broken99

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Thanks a million!!! Reply with quote

robert and xmlguy,

Bless you both! It works like a charm now! I knew I had to be missing something ridiculously simple, and that's what it was, an audio outlet for the freakin' keyboard! Honestly, I can't thank you enough; I've been struggling with this since I first got Cakewalk Home Studio 2XL, using it with my old Roland JV-80, about four years ago. I just kept getting frustrated, and would leave off for a few months, only to come back and bang my head against the wall again. No mas! Hope you have a happy, healthy and prosperous 2008!
Ken Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg X-50 / microX All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: