Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Solo Board Vs. Moss Board (opinion's please)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jabarv3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: Solo Board Vs. Moss Board (opinion's please) Reply with quote

Which one do you think is more authentic analog wise. I want to know if there really is a difference in sound quality meaning bigger, warmer and thicker....., thanks for all of you're input!!!
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pros/Cons

Solo-TRI is monophonic. 1 voice only.

Moss-TRI is polyphonic. 6 x voices, good for both polyphonic playing or stacking in unison.

Essentially, the Solo is a Korg Prophecy inside your Trinity, while the Moss is a 6-voice Z1.

The Solo-Tri has the following synthesis models to choose from, at any one time:
* Standard (subtractive)
* Oscillator Sync
* Cross-Modulation
* Ring Modulation
* Comb Filter
* VPM (Variable Phase Modulation = FM)
* Brass
* Reed
* Plucked

The Moss-Tri has all of the above, plus these extra models:
* Resonance
* Electric Piano
* Organ
* Bowed String model

The Solo has its own effects engine, too, which means it doesn't have to leech the Trinity's main effects. The Solo-board's own effects are: Reverb, Delay, Distortion and Chorus, and they sound different to the effects of the same name in the Trinity.

The Moss has to use the Trinity's own effects, as it doesn't have any of its own.

The Solo-Tri sounds just a touch better (phatter) than the Moss to my ears, also as it has a dedicated effects engine built into it (consisting of distortion and/or wah, chorus-&-delay or reverb), but for me the Moss wins easily because of its' polyphony and extra physical models. It can still also use the Trinity's own effects.

Technically a Trinity with a Moss board installed is given the moniker "Trinity V3", while a Trinity with a Solo board is called a "Trinity Plus". They use separate Operating System versions, but these merely address only the Moss/Solo differences. The rest of the Trinity functionality under either operating system is otherwise identical.

You can only have 1 x Moss-TRI installed OR 1 x Solo-TRI installed at any one time. Not both at the same time.

Unfortunately, the patch format between the two expansions (Solo and Moss) are also incompatible with each other, in that you can't load Solo patches into a Moss board, nor can you load Moss patches into a Solo board, even despite the mostly identical parameters between them.

Here are some audio snippets of the 6-voice Moss-Tri type synth-based stuff on its own (in a Trinity environment).

• Blade • Subliminal • Epic Strings • Venga • Stardust • Trance Nation • TBe • Frozen •
• Lo-Fi Bell • Dirty Arp • Analogue Gate • Kore • Encore • Quartex Brass • Gritty •
• ClubStrings • V-i-R-u-S • PureStrings • Zombie • Indigo • Acid Lead • Feedback •
• Superstring • InFeKtEd • Club Pizzicato • Delusion • Hard FM • Pure • Fly • Cross MoX •

And some more Moss demos of presets from the Korg site:

• Warbirds • Rich Strings • Speed Comp • Techno Sequence • Blue Guitar • Blue Sax • Metallic Bell • Laughter •

Apologies I don't have any demos of the Solo-Tri as I predominantly use Moss for its polyphony.

That's it in a nutshell.

Welcome to the forum.
philip

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh my god,your moss demos just souds great.I wonder, how do u make all those arps couse there is no arpegiator in trinity?
semmi78

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some sounds in the prophecy board are programmed to sound like an arpeggiator. At least that is what i think it should be.
philip

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

semmi78 wrote:
some sounds in the prophecy board are programmed to sound like an arpeggiator. At least that is what i think it should be.

Oh ye, thats why they become so useless on trinity
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, an arpeggiator would have made the Trinity perfect! A bit of a lost opportunity at massive sonic cost, methinks. I feel they made it so that it appealed to you to buy the Z1 too, to use the Trinity and Z1 as a pair, as the Z1 has its own programmable arp'. I don't have a Z1, though.

Thanks for the comment. I used both my Roland MC505 (over MIDI) to arpeggiate various Moss sounds and the Trinity's own sequencer to program patterns for others.

Incidently those Moss sounds are available for free download, please see my signature. Both Triton/Trinity versions are available.
philip

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timo wrote:

Incidently those Moss sounds are available for free download, please see my signature. Both Triton/Trinity versions are available.

Are there any Solo-Tri patches, I have a Solo-Tri and its absolutely unreal to find good free patches for it
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of my own I've mainly used just the Moss-Tri, but I can send you some of what I have otherwise collected. PM me.
philip

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timo wrote:
None of my own I've mainly used just the Moss-Tri, but I can send you some of what I have otherwise collected. PM me.

сheck your mail Smile
EddyDeegan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Solo Board Vs. Moss Board (opinion's please) Reply with quote

Jabarv3 wrote:
Which one do you think is more authentic analog wise. I want to know if there really is a difference in sound quality meaning bigger, warmer and thicker....., thanks for all of you're input!!!

I released an album on my site which makes heavy use of the Solo board. The bass and lead sound on this track are Solo board sounds:

http://eddy.deegan.org/album/tracks/03%20Dolo.mp3

(full album details are at http://eddy.deegan.org/album/index.html )

The distorted lead sound sound comes in after the solo guitar intro. It is deliberately thin at first, but then splits into fifths (dual oscillators of course) and in the bit in the middle where you have a high soft lead over some chopped vocal effects, this lead sound is the same patch as the lead used in the rest of the song, only with the ribbon controller muting the filters a bit. You can hear me release the ribbon slowly at the end of the middle section as the lead sound fattens up and splits into 5ths again as the distortion kicks in. I love that sound Smile

The picked bass patch on the Solo board is the best bass guitar sound I've ever heard on a synthesizer, ever. In my view, that sound alone was worth the cost of the board.

Eddy Deegan
philip

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: solo tri Reply with quote

This is my piece of jam/

All sonds-trinity, exept solo sound(like lead guitar)- solo tri

http://download1.loadfile.ru/1200092844/Dc112.MP3

and

The Blade Runner theme with solo board

http://download1.loadfile.ru/1200092056/Blade.mp3

Last edited by philip on Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
EddyDeegan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: solo tri Reply with quote

philip wrote:
This is my piece of jam/

http://download1.loadfile.ru/1200092844/Dc112.MP3

Very nice - I do like the big soundscape-type feel to it Wink

And the Bladerunner theme cover I liked too ... not a bad rendition of the CS80 sound at all!

Incidentally, if you haven't already, I recommend you get the BladeRunner Final Cut DVD - the remastered audio and restored video is breathtaking. It could have been made yesterday.

Eddy Deegan
philip

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: solo tri Reply with quote

EddyDeegan wrote:

Incidentally, if you haven't already, I recommend you get the BladeRunner Final Cut DVD - the remastered audio and restored video is breathtaking. It could have been made yesterday.

Eddy Deegan

That's great. certainly will have))
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Trinity All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: