Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moog sounds in download

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrrioux

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Moog sounds in download Reply with quote

Hi again, I have downloaded the moog sounds in this forum's download section, but when I try to load the in my Trinity, it wouldn't take it saying they're not compatible, is it something I do wrong? I'd really like to have them work in my Keyboard. Thanks again for your help.
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya, looking at the download section the only Moog patch I can see for Trinity is for the PBS-TRI (PlayBack Sampler) expansion option.

Any files of KSF (Korg Sample File), KMP (Korg MultisamPle) or KSC (Korg SCript) formats are PBS-TRI related, and unfortunately cannot be used in a Trinity without the PBS-TRI expansion.

For a standard Trinity (without PBS-TRI playback sampler expansion), the Trinity will only recognise PCG (Patch/Combi/Global) and SNG (Song) formats.

Also, there are also two virtual-analogue expansion options for the Trinity. The first was Solo-TRI which is the Korg Prophecy sound engine. The second was MOSS-TRI which is the Korg Z1 sound engine.

However, to read either Solo or Moss PCGs (in banks S and M respectively), you'd also need the relevant Solo or Moss expansion installed. Unfortunately Moss and Solo are also incompatible with other. So you can't load Solo patches into a Trinity with MOSS-TRI installed, and vice versa.

If you have neither a Moss-TRI or Solo-TRI installed, then banks M and S will be skipped when loading PCGs which contain Moss or Solo data.
jrrioux

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Thanks Timo Reply with quote

Then it's a plus to get that PBS-TRI upgrade,you know where we can find that upgrade? Thank you for your great help.
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. Smile

A "Trinity Plus" is a Trinity with Solo-TRI.
A "Trinity V3" is a Trinity with Moss-TRI.

You can learn about the Trinity models/names here: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=180553#180553

The PBS-TRI is separate in that it doesn't affect the naming of the Trinity like the above.

Regards PBS-TRI, the Trinity and all of its expansion operations were discontinued quite a few years ago so Korg haven't any more in stock. I think the only way you could be able to grab hold of one would be if someone sells their options on somewhere like [eBay] or [Sound-On-Sound Reader's ads] or mentions it here on Korg Forums, other second-hand places. Or if someone who is selling their Trinity has that option and would split it for you.

I think they occasionally pop up on Ebay.

It is a useful addition to the Trinity, as it's like having a new synthesiser everytime you import a new soundset. And it's Flash-ROM so the samples aren't lost on power-off.
jrrioux

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: thanks again Reply with quote

Now another question,I don't know how to call that effect,but you know when you press from a note to another one and the sound slides, I mean a bit like the Moog in ELP song Lucky Man solo, is there a way of getting that effect in my Trinity? There's that Square Wave Lead on program bank B 062 which is quite close to that phat Moog style sound, except for that sliding sound effect, and we need that for a cover of that song. Thanks.
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're probably referring to either Legato (envelope-hold), or Portamento (envelope-hold and pitch-slide).

I'm unfamiliar with ELP's stuff, I should check them out I've heard them mentioned enough times!

Right, here's the twist. Legato is indeed a feature on the Trinity (P1, under the Prog Basic tab), and works ONLY on mono patches (you have to check that Mono is enabled, next to the Legato option). However, Legato mode also suffers from an extremely annoying bug. It creates undesired results when attempting to play legato across different key-zones on a multisample in mono.

Here it is in greater detail:
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6060&highlight=legato

The Legato mode works fine when you play the notes within (I believe) a single sample-region, but as soon as your hand moves out of that key-range and into a new sample region (of the multi-sample), or similar, it buggers up and just plays the last or first note in the sample range of the key you're holding (sustaining), which will most likely be completely out of tune and will sound like you've bodged up.

As such I cannot recommend the Legato feature for live/improvisational/jamming use, UNLESS you've fully tested certain riffs in the studio to make sure they will not invoke the bug AND that you rigidly stick to playing those riffs identically when playing them live.

Not having much luck, are we? Neutral

Unfortunately the Trinity doesn't have a Portamento (pitch slide) feature for standard use. (However both Portamento and Legato are available on the Solo-TRI or Moss-TRI board and, furthermore, the Moss/Solo doesn't suffer from the Legato bug.)

Thus, I've always tended to use the Moss-TRI for this stuff.
jrrioux

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: thanks Timo Reply with quote

My god, you know much better than I in these machines... however, I'll try to bring it as you explain, but it sounds like an upgrade matter more than anything else. I should have got that V3 Trinity instead of the regular Trinity machine. Even thought it's a superb Synth by itself. I'm not a keys player, but a bassist, and basses aren't that sofisicated Smile, thank god... but what a great instrument to just fool around with. Thanks a million times for your help and advises, it's greatly appreciated, and great to have guys like you who know about all of that stuff !! Cheers !!
keego

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get the Lucky Man Lead sound use two square waveforms to start and detuned them both. One more than the other. Enable portamento and set it to about 20-30. Add chorus and reverb effects and you will have a similar sound. You will only have to mess round with the resonance then. I have the patch on my triton but don't know about converting it to trinity.

Good Luck

Andy

Previous:
Korg:X5D,Wavestation, N364, Trinity,Triton Classic,Triton Studio, Korg M3 61 w/ EXB-Radias
Ensoniq:TS12, SD1, ASR10
Roland:XP10, JD-800, Roland XV88, A90ex
Kurzweil:K2500RS, K2661, PC3
Nord: Electro 3
jrrioux

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: thanks keego Reply with quote

I'll give it a try, thank you for your help, it's greatly appreciated. Cheers !!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Trinity All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: