Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

good things about the Micro X

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg X-50 / microX
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allworth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: good things about the Micro X Reply with quote

As one contemplating the purchase of a Micro X, I am grateful for the adverse comments.
Are there any positive comments for the Micro X?
Would there be alternative suggestions such as the R3?

Thanks very much
Best
Christopher
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christopher, it's wise to take all comments with a grain of salt. I've found that the many of the negative comments about the MicroX aren't reliable. I don't think the posters are intentionally trying to mislead anyone, but they also might not fully understand that the nature of whatever problem they are experiencing might be due to the configuration of a specific patch they are using to base their opinion, not due to the capability of the engine itself. This may be due to the large percentage of owners who merely use or download existing patches and who don't get into the details of creating or extensively modifying patches.

So what can you do with these negative comments if they may be unreliable? I'd suggest that you go to a store and check out the MicroX in person with a list of potential concerns to see for yourself if they are legitimate.

The reason I bought the X-50 instead of the MicroX had nothing to do with its sound. The physical configuration of the MicroX wasn't very appealing to me. The MicroX is much wider than it needs to be for a 2 octave keyboard, and with the orange case, it's nearly as wide to transport as the 5 octave X-50, and not lighter compared to the X-50 in a small padded gig bag.

The R3 and MicroX have very different synth engines, so they aren't really equivilent. The R3 is a good virtual analog synth with vocoder and DWGS waveforms, basically its the new Microkorg based on the Radias engine. The MicroX is a MicroTriton, while the X-50 is a Triton Lite, both based on the Triton ROM multisamples and with the same extensive synth engine for heavy modification of the original waveforms. No vocoding on the MicroX or X-50. The R3 also doesn't have VST software at this time, but the MicroX and X-50 do. All have good editor librarian software.

If you want vocoding and Radias based VA synth with lots of good sounds for electronic music genres, the R3 is a great choice (along with the Radias Rack- if you can afford it). If you want many good samples of real instruments from the Triton as well as a powerful engine for modifying the built-in samples, but no ability to add waveforms is needed, then the MicroX/X-50 are a good choice.
4NDRW

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the sounds on my micro-x are awesome
the plugin editor (havn't delved too deep yet)
is a really great addition

looks really cool
got it really cheap too

however the physical unit feels quite cheap.
the keyboard, the knobs, the power jack, the joystick (mine died so i'm gonna get it repaired under warantee after my next gig)

i got this unit, with the plan of using it mostly as a sound module.
at the same time i bought a 61note novation controller, which i'm hoping when configured will do the trick.
as well as an ultra-portable keyboard that i can take on the train with me, when i dont have car access.

the bright orange hard case it comes with is really good, feels pretty indestructible, but is alot bigger than it needed to be.
but its pretty cool to have an unusual shaped small keyboard, arrive with a hardcase. (as you would probably need to custom make one otherwise)

in conclusion:
overall i really like it
but i'm annoyed about the joystick
paragon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello, as a recent customer of this product here are some things
that i must say are great!

1 the sounds are stunning great quality and for the biggest part geared towards electronic music as i expected it to be so not another bread and butter synth

2 the way all the parameters and menu's are setup makes it easy to figure out you very quickly learn where to go to adjust certain parameters

3 the editor makes editing even more a breeze and the editing options
are legion yet logically layed-out even for a novice

things that disappointed me a little:
there dont seem to be user banks? it seems that in order to create a
new program and save it you need to overwrite an existing program thus
the combinations that use this program are changed as well unwillingly

and

you are able to load only one instance of the plug in editor in your daw
so i you want to use multiple programs either stick them in a combi or
multiset or record a program as audio track and then go to the next program and record that one and so on

at least these are my experiences so if im overlooking something please correct me

greetings
4NDRW

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paragon wrote:

there dont seem to be user banks? it seems that in order to create a
new program and save it you need to overwrite an existing program thus
the combinations that use this program are changed as well unwillingly

this annoys me also.

you'd think with how cheap memory is these days, they could give you room for 100's of banks.... but they dont.

as a work around, i think you can swap patches between your computer and the unit
so could use your comp to store all the extra ones.
but that can get a little fiddly
paragon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it seems so im used to using a roland xp-30 it has user bank
with 128 locations to save your new patches so you expand your
sound sound library not replace it!!

like the tunes on your myspace!
BONES

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you'd be happy if it came with fewer presets, so that you wouldn't have to overwrite anything? I don't quite see the logic there. I'd be annoyed if KORG hadn't completely filled all available memory with presets.

I bought my first synth in 1981, so what I am about to say is not trivial, but the microX is definitely the best synth I have ever owned. It has more usable presets than any other ROMpler I've owned [ESQ-M, M1, O1R/W, Trinity, CS1x and CS2x], it is easier to program than most and the UI is very well thought-out. I don't like the software editor, I find it just as easy to program from the front-panel. The arpeggiators are awesome with tons of room for storing your own. Where they really shine is in the power they give to Combinations [compared to my old Trinity].

I bought mine to complement an Alesis Micron for stage use, with our PC backing, but it ended up completely replacing the Micron. More impressively, after swearing off hardware in the studio for 5 years and two albums, we now find that we cannot possibly get by without using some of the microX's tasty sounds on our next album. It works well with our PC software [ORION Platinum]. My one criticism is that it takes far too long for the plugin editor to synchronise with the unit to make it viable for live use, but I don't see that as much of a problem.

Some people complain that it doesn't feel robust but I don't feel that way at all. It is as robust as any synth I've owned and more so than many. Mine has travelled around Australia and overseas in it's orange road-case, it was loaned to Combichrist for their Australian tour last year [they didn't look after it as well as I do] and it doesn't have more than a couple of very faint scratches on the corners of the cabinet. They keys and joystick get a good hammering from time to time and so far are holding up very well [I've had it for almost 18 months now]. I really can't recommend it too highly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg X-50 / microX All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: