Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How does the Wavestation software compare to the WS hardware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Legacy Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnyvn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: How does the Wavestation software compare to the WS hardware Reply with quote

I'm considering upgrading to the full Legacy Collection and was wondering if anyone has directly compared the hardware Wavestation to the software Wavestation. What do you think guys? Should I sell my hardware or keep it?
Ben Hall

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The software sounds "better" - that is, it has more top-end, it's more "hfi-fi", and you've probably got better output convertors on your audio interface than the ones used in the WS.

My original WS has a softer, de-focused sound. Like it's a little blurry, with a bit less top-end - but it's a character I'm very used to, and in many ways I prefer it. And it's nice to have things with different sonic signatures, it helps a mix glue together better than having everything perfectly coming from soft synths.

So, the Legacy sounds "better", but I think I prefer the aesthetics of the hardware a little more.

But it's a fairly subtle thing. The Legacy *is* in every way a Wavestation.
Nothing that stops me from using the Legacy though.. Wink

Plus, the hardware has the useful joystick which you can use for realtime stuff.

So - you can sell your hardware and still have your Wavestation. I've kept mine though...
rich_h

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention that the software version is a damn site easier to program!
Markman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rich_h wrote:
Not to mention that the software version is a damn site easier to program!

This was a joke, right ?

With Hardware you would usually use a Editor for serious sound-programming. These Editors also provide Library functionality.
So it's ok to provide only basic access to sound-editing in the Hardware.

But with the KLC-version you can't use a Editor - and the bank handling is a mess.
You end up saving a whole THREE BANKS for each edit - very clever...
and "fun" when trying to switch between several favorite sounds...
you can't import or export single Performances with their dependencies either.

Also this way you have a bank where the rest of the performances is corrupted, while keeping their original names. So "additional fun" when trying to find out which version is the one that sounds the way it was supposed to sound.
rich_h

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except that for some us once you'd spent your cash on hardware you didn't have any left for a computer let alone a voice editor...
Markman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would dare to say that since the early 90's there are not many musicians who have a Synth or Keyboard and don't have a computer...

Editors are inexpensive, there is even freeware out there.
rich_h

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True enough. I was actaully referring to a mate's wavestation that I did attempt to program on the front panel. Compared to that Legacy is a breeze. And so far I haven't run into the necessity of having to save all three banks at once. For the admittedly limited amount of editing that I do, I've had no major gripes so far.

[edit] I agree with you about the bank handling in the other thread you started - it is problematic and I think it could be easily addressed by the Korg programmers.
Ben Hall

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the patches I ever did for the WS were programmed on the front panel. I've always found the WS interface, compared to some synths, to be really good. Little touches like envelope and other macros really helped, and the layout was easy to get around.

I dislike computer editors on the whole.

And yes, the Legacy is in many ways sub-optimal in bank management compared to a real WS and a good librarian (I rely on Soundiver for this, and love it to bits.)
johnnyvn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But how do you guys think the software version sounds in relation to the hardware version? Thanks again...
jg::
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Ben's first reply said it very well. The Legacy version is close enough to identical to the original hardware, except that the original had D>A convertors, and probably other audio components, that are inferior to today's typical pro audio cards in computers. So Legacy sounds "better". Old hardware had it's particular flavour of sound, so to speak, as Ben points out. He still likes the original, but I confess that I prefer the slight extra sparkle of Legacy.

If you liked the old hardware, you won't be disappointed, imho.

jg::
Trilha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi:
I have both and making an A/B compare I can to say the hardware have a little more low end (only a little more) and the software have a little more sound clarity(only a little more). But in general way, they sound identical.
Best regards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Legacy Collection All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: