Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Karma As A Midi-controller

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mpetrait

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Karma As A Midi-controller Reply with quote

Hello

I was hoping that there was someone out there willing to help out and idiot.

First off I am not really sure if I'm even using the right terminology. What I want to know is if I can hook the Karma up to my computer and use it as a midi keyboard. By that I mean can I use it to play the virtual instruments in programs like garageband or logic (Not the instruments built in to the keyboard)?

If anyone out there understands what I mean could you please let me know exactly how to do this and what I need.

Thanks
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can ....

When you play the keys on the Karma or operate the controllers they will generate appropriate MIDI and send that out of the MIDI OUT socket. If you connect the Karma's MIDI OUT socket to the MIDI IN socket on the MIDI interface connected to your computer you'll be able to use that MIDI data in any application that is listen to that port. In Logic, for example, any Audio Instrument track that is record armed will pick up that incoming MIDI and send it to the soft synth on that track and you'll hear it play. That's exactly as per a MIDI controller keyboard.

On the Karma you'll hear it play the sounds for the notes you hit, unless you go into Global mode and set Local Control to Off.

HTH,

Daz.
dave

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Daz, I've done this with the Karma in Program Mode, where you just have one GE controlling the softsynth. Do you know if it's possible to get it to work in Combi Mode, with, say, three or four GEs running a bunch of VIs?

Back when KARMA MW was released there were notions of a version that would work with any hardware synth/sampler or software. Sadly, possibly due to exclusivities in Stephen's deal with Korg, that version never saw the light of day.

When it dawned on me that I'd never see this software in the market, I tried playing around with using the hardware Karma to do this. I could never get Combi Mode to do it though. But I never really sat down to try and figure it out...

Kind regards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Karma All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: