Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

coming to the m3 soon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unknown Sound

Location: On a small island just off the coast of an island not to far from Antarctica

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:
Unknown Sound wrote:
Sina172 wrote:

I'm gonna tell you this much right now. I had a chance a few months back to play with an M3 for a few weeks because my friend wanted to see how the two compared, sonically. I was really curious myself as I was dying to get my hands on the M3 and if all the hype was really true about it as they were referring to the OASYS HD-1 Engine in the M3 ads.

My friend was SO blown away that he ended up taking back his M3 to get an OASYS once he got the cash. They aren't even CLOSE and I think your gonna be really sorry about downgrading. I've tried EVERYTHING I could to like the M3, and the sound just isn't there for me. Because of the OASYS, I find the M3's interface REALLY clumsy with that Page Select Button, and the build quality feels kind of cheap to me. After almost one year with the OASYS, I would literally DIE if I EVER ran into a situation where I had to settle for an M3. The difference is astronomical. Many of the programs and combis have been taken right off the OASYS, but they aren't even CLOSE in terms of quality and I had BOTH of them sitting in my room for about 6 weeks.

My advice.
Sina

There are many who have chosen the M3 over the OASYS for legitimate reasons, such as...

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=26261

_US.

That post actually brought back some of the frustrations I had with the OASYS about its Sequencer. You did bring up some valid points in that thread, though. No, the workflow of the OASYS wasn't gonna improve over a Trinity.

But I can definitely understand your reasoning. If.....no......when they update the Sequencer on the OASYS, it's gonna sell in HUGE amounts. Plus if they get rid of having to switch modes so you can edit Programs within a Combi or a Sequence to get that sound you want, that will substantially improve the workflow.

The Motif XS is a beast in this regard. Because all you have to do is select a Track in the Sequencer, hit ONE button and edit your program INSIDE the Sequencer. That is HUGE in terms of workflow and the Sequencer on the Yamaha is pretty amazing as well. They FINALLY got it right with the XS! The ONLY downside to this, however is that you have to save your Programs in a new location.

But both the M3 and the OASYS have that "mode issue" where you can't edit a Program inside the SEQ Mode. You literally HAVE to get out of SEQ Mode and go into Program Mode if you want more than whats available in Tone Adjust. That's a real pain if your trying to edit your programs.

Sina

The point of my previous (edited) message and link is that the M3 is a fantasic board, fits very well in my studio and compliments my other gear.

If I were Scoring for movies then the OASYS would be at the top of the list, but i'm not...at least anytime soon.

_US.
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unknown Sound (in a linked post) wrote:

It finally dawned on me that the OASYS wasn’t going to get me any closer to a better (easier) way of working over the Trinity. Sure it had more features and better sounds but at the end of the day the whole Workstation paradigm was present from the 90’s aka The Trinity Program/Combi/Seq modes. And there is where I had to make the hard call. I always got frustrated with the Combi and Sequencer modes. I mean you have to do so much switching between these and Program mode to get your sounds right in multi-timbral mode. Editing on the fly is intrusive to the music making process, so many screens to navigate, It just feels to clunky to me.

+1,000 Wink

... because of that one very peculiar design decision, the Oasys concept of multiple powerful synth engines is severely compromised for some of us. It really lights my fires, as many will know Wink

As Sina says, the Motif XS with it's 'Mixings' in Sequencer and Pattern modes is a great implementation and you have the ability to store your custom edited Voices straight into your song or pattern. Fantastic stuff, sadly not available in the Oasys, where it would actually be extremely useful.

Daz.

p.s. Thanks for the support guys with raising this issue !
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkie wrote:

Daz, I bought an old Wavestation SR that is piggied to my M3

Good choice Cool
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:

The Motif XS is a beast in this regard. Because all you have to do is select a Track in the Sequencer, hit ONE button and edit your program INSIDE the Sequencer. That is HUGE in terms of workflow and the Sequencer on the Yamaha is pretty amazing as well. They FINALLY got it right with the XS! The ONLY downside to this, however is that you have to save your Programs in a new location.

That new location can be a Mixing Voice. The Mixing Voices are 16 dedicated slots which are stored in the Mixing associated with the pattern or song, so you don't need to overwrite anything. You can also save them back into User Voice slots so you can use them in other songs. Just to re-inforce the point, the editing that you can do in a Mixing is EXACTLY the same editing environment that you have in Voice mode (akin to Program mode in Korg speak). The only drawback is that you can't edit Drum Kit voices this way.

Daz.
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
LivePsy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This point about jumping out of combi or sequencer mode to edit a program is a very good one. Perhaps the most annoying part of it with an external sequencer is changing the midi channel to 1 to audition notes in program mode and then swapping back to the track midi channel to play it in context.

Changing modes to get full program editing is inconvenient. Saving the programs to new locations is more inconvenient. But changing the midi channel to even hear you program editing is getting too much. Guess you gotta leave the M3 keyboard in local and record the midi from another keyboard. An omni receive setting just for Program mode would be great. But this is a workflow issue and good reason to not treat the M3 as a single all-in-1 box.

Cheers,
B
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, I recognize that struggle LivePsy ... same problem here with the Oasys. Not only do you have to faff with the channels but the effects context is also completely different when you're editing. D'oh ! The EDS and Radias engines are very cool, much like the Oasys HD-1 and EXi, so it's a shame not to be able to get more out of them whilst you're working.

Daz.
LivePsy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the M3 VST plugin would let you edit program parameters while staying in combi mode. Anyone use the plugin this way?

Cheers,
B
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it doesn't. I was very interested to see if that was the case too, but sadly not.

One thing to look out for when using Tone Adjust is that it has a problem on the Oasys that might also be on the M3. In Combi mode when you've Tone Adjusted a Timbre if you pull up the Program browser to audition another Program for that Timbre and then hit Cancel, your original Tone Adjust settings will have gone. On the Oasys the same problem exists for the KARMA RTC settings too (pulling up the GE browser and cancelling out of it loses your RTC settings). I don't think many people would expect a Cancel button to behave that way.

As I say not sure if the same problem exists on the M3, maybe someone could try it and let people know. You'll need to get into the habit of saving your Combis or Songs (if you work in Seq mode) if this same problem exists there too.

Daz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: