Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If I don't have the usb key connected, my DAW won't launch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Legacy Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pyvnd

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:38 am    Post subject: If I don't have the usb key connected, my DAW won't launch Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I just joined the forum because I called Korg and also posted on gear sluts and neither was able to help me with this problem. Korg just passed the buck to the usb key maker and/or Ableton.

I use Ableton on two computers with identical set-up of softsynths on both. I purchased Korg Legacy Digital and installed them on both machines. When I have the usb key connected to either machine, Live launches fine and I can use all my softsynths including Korg Legacy Digital. BUT, when I do not have the usb key attached and launch Live, I get a message that the key is not present. I just hit cancel with the understanding that the Korg stuff just won't show in that session. But instead of that happening, Live simply quits completely.

Anyone know what I can do to remedy this? I am not trying to steal or anything like that and I am ok with being able to use the KLD on only one machine at a time. But not allowing my DAW to launch is going too far I think.
Ben Hall

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds strange. If you are just launching Live, and none of the Korg plugins are instantiated, there will be no software looking for the key.

I can happily launch any application, including Logic and live, without the Korg dongle plugged in (of course, if you run a Korg plugin without the key you'll get a complaint about the key not being there.)

Are you sure no plugins are instantiated in your default Ableton Live set? Are the Korg plugins the only thing that have licenses on that dongle?
pyvnd

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm not sure what you mean by instantiated. The Korg Legacy Digital is installed on both machines. And they are listed in the list of plugins I can choose from in Live. So when the key is attached, everything works as it should. When the key is not, I can't even launch my DAW. This product is the only thing registered on the usb key. Nothing else.
Synthesizist

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He means if you have a KLC-plug loaded in your prefab-song, the dongle will be called on opening the app.

Sounds like a harmless solution, but that means also:
If you loose the key someday you also loose all of your songs that used a KLC-plug...
You cant even open the songs to unload the KLC-plugs - they are instantly crashing the whole DAW...

TIME FOR AN UPDATE !
rich_h

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me this sounds like a problem with the host rather than Korg or Synchrosoft. In Tracktion and Cubase SE3 if I load up a song without the dongle connected I'm pretty sure neither will crash (Tracktion definitely doesn't because I have just checked it).

See if your host has an option that allows a plug-in scan on startup to be enabled or disabled, and if so disable it.
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect the problem is with Ableton Live. When you launch Live, under many circumstances (if not always) it performs a scan for VSTs. If you watch the Live splash screen, at the bottom you will see "Scanning VSTs (name of product)".

I would contact Ableton an ask them if there is a way to effetively skip a VST if there is an error.

All products that use Syncrosoft protection call the Syncrosoft License Control Center (LCC) application which verifies the dongle and licenses are present.

1. When you get this message you describe as "Key not present" is that a Live message or is that the Syncrosoft License Control Center?

2. Is there any other option presented to you to choose except "Cancel"? Is there a "Skip" or "Ignore" option?
Ben Hall

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Legacy Digital with dongle, and I can quite happily run Live or Logic without the dongle connected.

The initial plugin scan does not actually run each plugin, and therefore does not trigger any copy protection. This is on Mac though...
higskies

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synthesizist wrote:
He means if you have a KLC-plug loaded in your prefab-song, the dongle will be called on opening the app.

Sounds like a harmless solution, but that means also:
If you loose the key someday you also loose all of your songs that used a KLC-plug...
You cant even open the songs to unload the KLC-plugs - they are instantly crashing the whole DAW...

TIME FOR AN UPDATE !

This is exactly the reason that I always make an audio track of plugins. It's like 'dongle' insurance.

I recommend you try to remove them from Ableton, or set Ableton to open to a blank template. Live runs throough all of the plugins as it is initializing, and will give 'warnings' if there is an install problem.
Korg TR, Legacy DE, padKontrol, M-Audio Axiom, Alesis QS7.1, Yamaha YS-200, Casio VZ-8M, Roland D-110, E-mu ESI-32, Absynth 3, FM7, Live 7, Sonar Producer 7, PreSonus Firepod interface, KRK Rokit5 monitors, Focusrite/Behringer/PreSonus preamps, Rode/Blue/Shure mics, kazoos?, Fender Telecaster, Danelectro U2, Epiphone Les Paul Studio, VOX/Peavey/Gorilla amps, Sigma DY10 Acoustic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Legacy Collection All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: