Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

REALLY want to purchase the KLC but...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Legacy Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tr999

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: REALLY want to purchase the KLC but... Reply with quote

I barely meet the requirements. I have a G4 (yeah, i know..) with an 866 mhz processor and an 380mb of ram.

I will be running this with pro tools, if this is the ONLY VST I have running in a session will I be able to function with it? Is there a way to bounce the sounds from the VST separately and bring it back in to Pro tools and layer it over my session somehow?

I am probably purchasing a new laptop min the near future though, most likely a decent spec'd macbook at the least...if and when this happens, is there a way to run the VST on the laptop and trigger it from my normal Mac so that no CPU memory is taken up in my pro tools session and all the memory is being taken up on the Macbook?

thanks.
Synthesizist

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could sync the Laptop to the Desktop via MTC (or Midiclock), handle all audio on the Desktop and all midi and VSTi on the Laptop to which also the midi-out of your keyboard goes. Then connect the audio-out of the Laptop to spare audio-ins on the Desktop.

But this is a rather cumbersome setup. You have to manage and backup two individual projectfiles, swap mouse and keyboard back and forth. Also you would ideally need two ASIO-audiocards. I dont think you use ProTools HD (with audio-hardware) ?

If you find a current Laptop with low system-latency (important for realtime streams) you could easily run both audio and VSTis.
tr999

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Pro tools with a DIGI001 rack. Man, that seems really tedious...I know my computer is slow as hell, but is there a way I can record the sound in audio and not in a midi track? I really want to use the sounds from these synths so badly... if I have no options I might just have to resort to hunting for an actual ms-20 and polysix Confused
Ben Hall

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the cost of a second hand MS20 and Polysix, you could probably get yourself the Korg Legacy stuff *and* a kick-arse computer...

And yes, you can just use an external computer as a stand alone synth, just feed the MIDI to it from the host computer, and record the audio output back to the host computer.
tr999

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude I don't know where you've been looking but a second hand polysix on it's OWN cost more than this softsynth! If I could get a new powerful Mac Pro, I would...but at most I can afford a decent Macbook.

I asked the guy at my local guitar center, who was apparently one of the more knowledgeable guys on staff when it came to this type of stuff..and he said I'd be better off upgrading my ram to it's max, 1.5 GB, instead of trying to run the KLC on a laptop and triggering it from the pro tools session on my main workstation, which is the G4.

He seemed pretty confident that if I upgraded my ram to the max I'd be able to run this VST on my computer if it was the only VST I ran in a pro tools session..of course it'll be slow..but at least I'll be able to run it and use the sounds he said. What do you guys think? A quick response would be helpful because I just purched the KLC analog edition today and want to purchase the 3 512mb slots of ram tonight if that is indeed the better option.
Ben Hall

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tr999 wrote:
dude I don't know where you've been looking but a second hand polysix on it's OWN cost more than this softsynth!

Which I believe was exactly my point.

tr999 wrote:
I asked the guy at my local guitar center, who was apparently one of the more knowledgeable guys on staff when it came to this type of stuff..and he said I'd be better off upgrading my ram to it's max, 1.5 GB, instead of trying to run the KLC on a laptop and triggering it from the pro tools session on my main workstation, which is the G4.

Yes, a G4 will run the Legacy, but the amount of ram you have is pitiful - barely enough for the OS, let alone audio software on top of that, and plugins within that audio software. Are you running OSX?

A current Macbook will run this stuff comfortably well.
tr999

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh shoot sorry I completely misread what you wrote...smh at me. But yeah I know...it's pitiful that I'm using a G4 but I got an incredible deal on it with a digi001 rack hardware and a bunch of softsynths included I'd be stupid to turn it down. So the most I could do right now is to max out the ram...and you said the G4 will run the legacy, so my best option now would be just to upgrade to 1.5 gb of ram correct? I'll eventually get a macbook so if anything I'll eventually link it to my G4. And yes I'm running Mac OS.X 10.3.9
Ben Hall

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your case, I would absolutely get some more RAM. What you have currently is barely enough for the operating system...
tr999

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright cool, yeah I just ordered 3 512's last night hopefully it'll help.
dave

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I got a Mac Pro, I was trying to use KLC on a G4 dual 800 with 1.25 GB of RAM. When using the Legacy Cell as an insert in DP5.13, I was able to play TWO notes of the first factory preset, Vaporization Pad. Any more than that led to the sound breaking up horribly because the CPU couldn't cope. And there were some presets that the Mac couldn't play at all, not even ONE note.

Unfortunately, KLC requires a draught horse, not a Shetland pony.

Kind regards.
tr999

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ that was legacy cell though, what about when trying to play preset sounds from the ms-20 and polysix? that would be good enough for me for the time being...I'm waiting on my 1.5 gb of ram upgrade..hopefully that will help.

What about if I just try to run everything off the Macbook when I end up getting it? Would I have to purchase an Mbox? (using Digi001rack currently) and would I have to downgrade the O.S. on the macbook to 10.3.9?
dave

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both the MS-20 and the Polysix will be less taxing on your G4's CPU. Nevertheless, you're gonna be doing a lot of track freezing simply because the machine doesn't really have the grunt necessary.

If you intend to buy a new MacBook, then that machine WILL have plenty of power. However, I'm unable to advise you on suitable audio interfaces because I've always used desktops with PCI-based interfaces (MOTU).

Incidentally, I very much doubt that a MacBook will run 10.3.9. New Apple machines these days won't even install older versions of the OS than the one they come with out of the box.

Kind regards.
Ben Hall

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, new ones are strictly Leopard only...
jasefos

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben Hall wrote:
Yep, new ones are strictly Leopard only...

So far so good here on Leopard (10.5.2) for running KLC AE-2007 (latest version) and KLC-DE (latest version) under Live 7.05.

Cheers !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Legacy Collection All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: