Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Im so disappointed with this big O :(
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andries

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Yes that's completely realistic - thanks for clearing that up. Any thoughts on World Peace?

No it's not realistic - because good service goes together with good products.

Last edited by andries on Sun May 25, 2008 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With respect to the original poster of this thread and your outstanding problem; I strongly recommend to the moderators that Andries be censored for his last post.

Clearly he's not an OASYS user and is here to provoke argument.

Casting politically provocative comments here is also unacceptable, IMO. (Into the bargain, I'm Irish, not from the US).

Kevin.
t_tangent

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Kevin.

Oh and I'm from England....although my Great Grandparents were Irish, or at least a couple of them were Smile

Anyways, I still agree with Kevin that this is a Korg OASYS forum and not a forum for political points of view

Cheers
elvisjohndowson

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
With respect to the original poster of this thread and your outstanding problem; I strongly recommend to the moderators that Andries be censored for his last post.

Casting politically provocative comments here is also unacceptable, IMO. (Into the bargain, I'm Irish, not from the US).

Kevin.

Oh Come on, Kevin, Andries has a point. If I paid $8000 and something like this happened, I will certainly expect some sort of redressal. At the very least for Korg to incur shipping costs, to have it sent back to the distributor and give me a new working unit, without wasting any more time. This has been done in the past for a couple of OASYS users.

Your OASYS and mine is in working order, and we probably won't be too sensitive about this issue, but you can very well imagine if your unit wasn't working from day 1. I recall people like EJ2 also has problems with their unit in the begining, but were lucky cos they were in a place where a local distributor existed.

Hardly a reason to censor Andries! Smile
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andries wrote:
This guy paid $8,000 for the OASYS.

He works hard for a live event - then some weeks later one the first serious live performance, the brand new OASYS doesn't work properly.

The performance is a flop, his reputation f***ed up.

The only answer KORG has, is that Mario should send the OASYS some thousand miles to a foreign KORG dealer, then wait some months, and then hope he gets a good working product back for which he paid $8,000.

Well, that's realy fantastic!

Shocked

That wasn't my answer, actually. My answer was quite clear: have it serviced at an authorized service center! If he doesn't like the ones in his country, then he can see if it's possible to use one elsewhere, such as Italy (which is pretty close to Malta, btw - not "some thousand miles" - check a map!).

I can't honestly see any other musical instrument company having a different response.

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
EJ2
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I recall people like EJ2 also has problems with their unit in the begining, but were lucky cos they were in a place where a local distributor existed.

Hi, Elvis, that is not correct. It was an OS update that rectified my problems, thanks to Korg USA OASYS R&D.

Mario, I'm sorry for your difficulties. I would follow Dan's suggestions.

Cheers,
Eric

CATALYST v 2 Blast of Inspiration for KRONOS & OASYS: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst2.html
CATALYST v 1 Combi Explosion for KRONOS, OASYS, M3, & K-M50: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst1.html
CHEMISTRY 3, a Groove Injection for Your Karma: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/chem3.html
SoundCloud MP3 Demoshttps://soundcloud.com/ej2-sc
andries

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:

Kevin.

I censored the posting myself.

Sorry for my first posting, but your comment is kind of provocative too. Wink

Concerning the oasys - Why not ask for 100% quality and perfect service from korg? That should be your own interest too.

The least thing korg can offer Mario free expert help on a telephone - even if it takes 2 hours - to solve the problem.
Sekwenz32

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

andries, thank you for understanding my point and making it that clear, straight and plain in pulbic hehe Smile .

To be exact ( after going back to check my purchases Smile ) , the OASYS cost me 5,900.00 EUR = 9,291.76 USD . Ordered it around May 06, Got here in May 07. September 07, 1st live gig, and blue screens,..... ect.

Tomorrow, first thing, i will go to my Distributor of Korg, the AUDIO & AUTO SOUND, and will explain my problem.

Today, i have another Public ID No. I took that down, and on my way to AUDIO & AUTO SOUND centre, i will take a lottery ticket. Ccs its not HEX again hehe. If next wednesday i will win, i will keep the Oasys as my personal Lottery Number Generator! Wink . If no Sad , i need the machine to work properly since its impossible to get another one! I do love this machine too! Crying or Very sad

Kevin & others, i appriciate your interaction with my problem. i do thank Dan, Steve and Jerry for their help/posts in Korg Forums. but i dont like brown-nosing and sarcasim. We are only users of their products, and they help us, cos they do love their products. sometimes they are bound to regulations so not to help users sooooo directly on forum. bla bla. amen.
All their posts are appriciated. Smile . I don t expekting dan to tell me,.. ' ok, here s my adress, ship it here. im sending you another one this eveing ' either andries Smile . But i think an Oasys is not a KAOSS pad ( with respect to all KAOSS users, including myself Smile )

Thank you elvisjohndawson, Eric and Martin for all the help Smile.

Refering to andries good soution: Telepohone conversation.
some 7 years ago, i had a problem with the i30. i sent an email to KorgJapan, recieverd a reply in 7mins with 2 solutions. Both didnt work. and couldnt exrtact attachment for the 2nd solutiom. they retried. i retried. no success. they replied that they copied it on media, are will send it the following morning. Recieved phone call for confirmation.

Till today ( from 4 weeks ago ), the OASYS worked every single day (switced on without showing reg screen ect. ). but it is not stable. i think i should check Eric s stuff now, by the time the solution is cleared Wink .

Thank you all. i will get back to post the updates Wink
Khazul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dump the oasys - use the virus and get a kurzweil to go with it - both sound *way* better anyway.

--- The Studio & Noises ----- Adam G @ MySpace ---
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andries wrote:
This guy paid $8,000 for the OASYS.

He works hard for a live event - then some weeks later one the first serious live performance, the brand new OASYS doesn't work properly.

The performance is a flop, his reputation f***ed up.

The only answer KORG has, is that Mario should send the OASYS some thousand miles to a foreign KORG dealer, then wait some months, and then hope he gets a good working product back for which he paid $8,000.

Well, that's realy fantastic!

Shocked

I was browsing the forum, and man I have to agree.

I know Korg is doing the best they can for their protocols and such, but an instrument failing at a gig because the dongle came loose in unbelievable!

If I were in that position to say I'd be angry would be an understatement and makes me glad that I never bought an O. What happened on this level of instrument is unthinkable IMO.

This is not to say the O is not an incredible ground breaking instrument, but WOW. That about sums it up for me reading this!
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your point is taken; but, it genuinely is unfair to blame Korg for not having service centres within easy reach of every country. It is a smallish company working is an absolutely tiny market place.

You really have to get real about how far Korg can go. Virtually every synthesizers company in history has gone bust. Why?

When you answer that you'll have no choice but to balk at the struggles that Korg have to deal with to remain successful. Add to that their courage in releasing the most innovative instrument since the Fairlight or Prophet 5 and you really need to cut them some slack.

The synthesizer market is absolutely tiny. What does that mean? It means that when you buy a synthesizer, you’re opting in, voluntarily, into a risky yet potentially musically rewarding 'domain'. By default you're signing up to brand new, innovative and unprecedented technological instruments. If Korg did not meet all of those criteria you'd be screaming that they are brroing (just how many forums berate Roland for repackaging their sound in various instruments).

Hence - just stand back, look at the OASYS and realise that you are dealing with a highly unlikely event that actually happened - a staggeringly revolutionary piece of technical innovation that rarely comes our way, and which probably will not come our way again anytime soon.

Now - this does not ease the genuine pain of those whose OASYS went belly up; but it does put into perspective just how specific a market we are and how individualised our requirements and expectations are. If problems arise, that's good - it means Korg are pushing the boundary.

I speak from personal experience here. As mentioned on this forum, I spend a lot of money having serious synthesizers like CS80s restored for my studio. With one of these restored in London (I live in Dublin) it was damaged no less than three times on consecutive transits from London back to Dublin, costing me over $10,000. I'm not wealthy - I cycle and do not have a car to fund this; and boy does my house need a coat of paint; but I did not complain; nor do I complain when things like this go wrong - it's the nature of the beast. It's often painful, but its worth it.

If you cant stand the heat with THE most innovative instruments and the risks they bring then don't buy them. But if you opt in, you better make provisions for problems that will always be painful and always expensive to fix. That's the risk with OASYS. There are only a few thousand of them in the world; wither live with that or don't buy it. There are safer alternatives such as the cheaper or 2nd hand Tritons and what have you.

But to take two examples of serious problems with OASYS described and teethed out in this forum like this and then to paint Korg in general as unreliable or uncaring just because you spent $8000 is unrealistic and utterly unreasonable. You're in a high risk music market because you're looking for an edge - so you have to take the bad times with the good times. It's the nature of top end synthesizers now; and it was the nature of top end Moog, Yamaha, Sequential Circuits... synthesizers of past years.

Into the bargain, here you’ve had the head of OASYS research and development prepared to come onto this forum to help as best he could - that's pretty unique in this age of endless phone menu options.

The problems described are painful, but the solution is not to moan about the cost of an OASYS or bark at Korg - part of the solution is also to be patient; to realise you need to set aside funds for expensive repairs and to have alternative's to fall back upon when you prized instrument fails you.

Kevin.
Ray

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Oasys is a dream machine for me. Does everything I could reasonably ask and does it superbly. Great live gigging/sequencing machine.

Only complaint is the warranty. Roland gives 3 years on all products in the UK which gives some confidence if there is a problem.

1 year from Korg is mean in comparison especially for the outlay on an Oasys.

But touch wood it's been great so far - hope I haven't spoken too soon Rolling Eyes
tcornishmn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

150+ gigs on mine and it's been flawless. I have a good hard case and take care of it, and it looks and works like new.

BTW, I've had crashes and failures on other equipment too. I had a server here at work that was 9 months old (cost $25,000 by the way) that blew up a CPU voltage regulator module and the server went down hard.

We also pay six figures for our disk array so that it is doubly redundant, because bad things happen.

As Kevin said, stuff happens, and there's only so much that is practical for any vendor to do to support their products. It's not financially feasable for Korg to train a distributor in every possible country, and for larger countries such as Australia, multiple ones, so every user is within some subjective distance that makes everyone happy. In many places, there may be only a few machines sold, and spreading the thin profit margin across a bunch of distributors with service centers where they may in their whole time see one Oasys to be worked on just can't make sense.

The Oasys is not worse-built than anything else in the pro category - I replaced my Kurzweil K2600 with the Oasys because the K2600 was starting to fall apart after only 2 years. After 3 years, my Oasys is in far better shape than my 2-year old K2600.

As to the reputation thing - we all have to weigh the cost of having gear problems. Most of the A-list national acts travel with a backup of EVERYTHING, because bad things happen. If gear failure during a performance situation would cause you great loss of reputation or revenue, you may need a backup.

In my situation, I decided I did need a backup, not because I've had trouble with my Oasys, or even that I expect to have trouble, but because my other keyboards were getting a little long in the tooth to be practical for my current needs, should I have to call on them. Therefore, I now have a Kurzweil PC3 as a backup board that I can grab on short notice that gets me by. It's not the Oasys, and I have to make some compromises, but it's a functional, great-sounding board, and in some ways, better than the Oasys.
ldascanio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ldascanio wrote:
Quote:
Can you please send me mail at dan@korgrd.com with copies of the email, including the address to which you sent it? I'm quite certain that this situation should not be happening, and I'm sorry that you've been working on it for a while.

btw, you mentioned having sent me a private message a week ago, but I just checked, and I have not received anything from you. If it was email, it's possible that it was caught in the spam filter; I'll keep an eye out.

Best regards,

Dan

Hi Dan:
The private message was sent from your profile (DANATKORG) at KARMA LAB forum, so I'm not sure the mail address used there. Maybe it's not working properly or the address there is not correct. I'll try to check...
Anyway I'm more that happy with all you are doing now with this extra work even at weekend! Smile

Regarding the mail you request unfortunatelly it's in spanish.
I'll send it anyway and will try to translate it, including a summary of the complete history...

Best regards.

PS: Please don't forget this discussion began due to an issue from other user. I'd like some moderator move these messages to a new topic so the initial topic is not left asside... SORRY MARIO!!!!!

I'd just like to comment that my keyboard was finally repaired 3 weeks ago. I couldn't know where the problem happened as they changed both Screen and Video conversor board so I feel that I paid for a replacement plus a "just in case" replacement but the important thing now is that is working and I can enjoy again the great sound of my baby.

Thanks a lot Dan for your involvement and support!

Rgds.
OASYS 88 #000312
KRONOS 61 #003946
KORG Z1, ROLAND PK-5
Sekwenz32

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: again and again.. Reply with quote

hi mates,..

here we go again,.. i got the usual blues screen,.. but this time i cant re-authorize my oasys. i re-installed everything, updated os but i always get the registration screen prompt. ( i didnt format HD , as im hoping to keep my files in there at least!) Tried initializing memory but all the same...

Any other clue or something new which i can try to do?.. as im in the middle of a terrible deadline, and my oasys put me on my knees again Sad .

Anything to check further??

/ Mario
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: