Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Serengeti

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Promote Your Music Online
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RiotNrrd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Serengeti Reply with quote

At the top of the list right HERE.
jazlover
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent like always. I love you vibe and your sounds. Thanks brother!
RiotNrrd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, jazlover! Glad to hear you enjoyed it!
peter m. mahr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes indeed, a very nice track! I like the mood a lot !!!

peter
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has a very nice open wide sound, which is descriptive of the title. Curious to hear what this could morph into if it decided to veer off somewhere during the tune. But this is a truly clean smooth vibe which works well as it is.
album cover
RiotNrrd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys!

George, yes, this is always a problem I have - where to take a piece once I have the fundamental sound worked out. I just couldn't figure out where to veer it to. It resisted all my attempts to add a chord change, or different rhythm, or anything. And so I just stuck with what I had and went with the overlapping pattern method of song construction.

I think sometimes I have too many pieces that are essentially based on a single chord. Once I fully develop the feel of such a piece, I immediately run into the issue of not knowing how to proceed further. I think I need to shake up my song construction technique a bit and approach it from a different direction.

I do like how this piece turned out, overall. But I am also interested to know where it could have gone... Smile
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, you asked for it, this is what I do, for better or for worse. I forget what gear you're using these days, but I'm on the Triton and M3 which both have the cue list feature. Anyway, I take a song or set of loops and do what you've done here, sort of, like a 16 measure combination of rhythms and sounds, a mix of pads bass/synth lead/sound effects until I get a cool thing that sounds like it could go on forever. Then I make another song file and copy it into there and shave it down to its bare bones, like muting the main leads, or completely changing the drum track and keeping the bass and then changing the synth pad, or pairing up a couple unusual sounds that I had going on in the first song but now its just them and the drums, I play around with this song until I come up with something I like, completely ignoring what I already have in the first song, by now I may have almost an entirely new song going. At this point I tire of this and so I go to a 3rd song file and begin there, usually copying the one I like most, either song 1 or 2 and then tweaking again. If I keep going on like this I end up with like 10 song files that are fragments of something. I make sure that my fragments are not monotone, or not all on c major or something, so i try to make one like aminor, and one a bass run that starts in g or whatever. Once I have at least a few of these fragments that I really like I then try to string them together in different ways in my cue list to see how they bang up against each other, usually its a train wreck at first, but if I keep at it I will get at least 4 sections that sound good together and that seem to be completing a larger picture. If there needs to be a smoother transition between certain parts I will compose a section specifically for that at this point, now that I know sort of where I'm going. After a bit more of this I will attempt lyrics based on the emotions or visuals I'm getting from the cue list. I honestly do this process for many hours and days until something finally gels. But i think doing the separate song fragments somewhat independently of each other and then stringing them together randomly does seem to get me out of the continual loop that doesn't know where else to go. Also, I would suggest as is so obvious, but it may do to remind ourselves, that take a break and listen to some other song in your genre, esp electronica if that's what you're doing, and listen specificaly for how they went from one part to the next and how the different parts complement each other. I don't kow if any of this will help, but it's the way I work.
album cover
RiotNrrd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, George! I'm going to give that technique a try, as it sounds like good advice.

I'm using 100% Reason, so I don't have cue lists. But that's just a matter of fitting the technique to the technology.

I have sooooo many "song starts" that just never went anywhere. Gobs of them. I think I'll revisit them and try out your advice and see what happens.

On a related note, I find it interesting that you mention getting "visuals" from your music. When discussing music with people (non-musicians, mostly) I used to say that too - that "such and such a piece" was very "visual" - and found that almost no one understood what the heck I was talking about. I find that music most definitely can trigger the visual areas of my brain, and that listening to some pieces can translate into one long string of visual images, but that this doesn't seem to be true for the bulk of the population. I wonder if this isn't more common amongst musicians?
DrWho
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi riot,

Nice to hear your new tunes. I hear you on the tunes being resistant to change / development. I almost always have that problem.

This vibe is sweet man!!

Cheers,

={> Art
chordial
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool track,

What a nice open feel as already mentioned.
I think it's the combination of the sounds you have used too.
Some steady, some swirling, and they all gel together to create a very listenable sound scape.
RiotNrrd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys! Glad to hear people are enjoying it.

I wouldn't put this one onto my "Greatest Hits" album, but I'm still pretty pleased with how it turned out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Promote Your Music Online All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: