Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vista woes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Giner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:38 am    Post subject: Vista woes Reply with quote

I got this Toshiba P200 laptop as a gift last Christmas and this past weekend I tried a webcam conversation on it for the first time with friends over in the UK. It worked okay except that there was no audio reaching them from this end.

This laptop is running Vista and the built-in mic is not showing up in the Recording Devices box, only the front line in and front mic jacks appear there. Is this a Vista thing? Anyone experienced this and found a fix? I'm not hearing too many good things about Vista.

Maybe this should be posted in a geek forum - but I hang better with musos. Thanks.
Fatalmasterpiece

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive never used Vista but it sounds like you might need to go to the manufacturers website and download and install the drivers for your Mic
Ultimate Dj
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, i dont know about Webcaming But I know that VISTA SUCKSS!!!!! Rolling Eyes I mean for real! everybody says it and its true. I HATE ITT!!!! Mad Its so dam frusterating! just everything about it is horrible! So get a XP or a MAC would be my suggestion! I'm dieing to get a Mac!
anyone got one used that they wanna sell? Very Happy
thanx!

pura vida
el che
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I hate to argue, but so far my Vista is working fine, of course I'm not really pushing the envelope with it either.
album cover
RiotNrrd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I hate to argue, but so far my Vista is working fine, of course I'm not really pushing the envelope with it either.

Yeah, I've been running Vista for a little over a year now, and it's worked just fine for me. Like George, I'm not exactly pushing its envelope, but my sound works, my midi controller works, the latencies are acceptable, it hasn't crashed on me, etc. So, I wouldn't say that it sucks, nor that I hate it.

I don't see that it does anything for me that XP didn't already deliver, but that's another matter entirely.
JonSolo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok there are many aspects to this.

The Toshiba does not have a built in microphone so I can only assume you mean that the Webcam has a built in mic. If that is the case, is the software for the webcam fully Vista compatible and was it properly set up? When connected does it show up in devices? Are there any unidentified devices in your Device Manager?

I am pushing Vista to the limits and have three studio machines running Vista, many with legacy devices installed or attached. I do run into problems, and Vista is not for the lighthearted, but I would not blame this problem on Vista just yet.

Jon

http://www.solosounds.net
http://jonsolo.me
http://www.soundcloud.com/jonsolo
http://www.twitter.com/thejonsolo

Windows 10 | Intel i9 9900K | 64 GB RAM | Scarlett 18i20 | Nektar Panorama P6
Korg Kronos - 88 | Korg Kronos 2 - 61 | Roland Fantom 6 | Push 2 | Maschine Mk2 | Slate ML1 | JBL LSR308/310
Nuendo 11 | Ableton Live 11 | Reason 12 | FL Studio 20.9
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you actually have an inbuilt mic, sounds like the software drivers are not installed. The sound drivers for onboard audio in laptops are usually by Realtek.

Go to your Toshiba website and update the drivers.

I wouldn't think this is a Vista issue at all.
Giner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Yes, this model does have a built-in mic and I found the corrrect driver for it. So that problem is solved.

However, (nothing's simple is it?)Very Happy When I turn on the webcam now, a message appears that says "locked by another applicaation". Any ideas how I might find out what and where this application is, and how I might do someting to free up the lock on the webcam?

Thanks again for your input - hope I'm not being a pest.

FWIW and to be honest, I haven't had any other problems with Vista and I've been recording up a storm with Adobe Audition which has been performing flawlessly (my own flaws notwithstanding).Very Happy
tritex4
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giner wrote:

However, (nothing's simple is it?)Very Happy When I turn on the webcam now, a message appears that says "locked by another applicaation". Any ideas how I might find out what and where this application is, and how I might do someting to free up the lock on the webcam?

I don't have an exact answer to your problem above, but you may also want to make sure you
have Vista Service Pack 1 installed.
Vista SP1 may not have automatically installed through Windows Update, even if you have it
turned ON.

To check:
1. Click Start
2. Click Control Panel
3. Click System & Maintenance
4. Click System

If it's installed, Service Pack 1 will appear near the top, under Windows edition.

You can download Service Pack 1 below.
http://dotnetwizard.net/?p=840
The update may fix some issues, even though you haven't encountered them, yet.

I would suggest uninstalling your current webcam and related drivers/program through Add/Remove Programs.
Reboot. Install the new drivers.

Note-You should turn off Windows Update first, to keep Windows from trying to install drivers, that may be
out of date.
Very Happy
Giner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks TriTex4. Umm . . . I'm not out of the woods just yet. You're right, Vista SP1 didn't download automatically through Windows Update. I went to your download link and followed your steps, but the only download I could find was one called "Five Language Standalone KB936330". Further down the page is this:

DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER: A smaller, more appropriate download is available on Windows Update.

I didn't feel safe about downloading this version and I couldn't find the recommended smaller download on Windows Update. Would you have a link to it please? Thanks for your help with this.
tritex4
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Giner.
The smallest version I could find, was the 5 language version as part of the standalone installer. (KB936330) Crying or Very sad
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?freetext=%28kb936330%29&productID=&categoryId=&period=&sortCriteria=date&nr=20&DisplayLang=en
Very Happy
Giner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Yep that's the one I ended up with. I spent some time with a MS agent today on their 'chat' support service and we (well, more like he) got the job done. Thanks for your help.
mdh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Vista and sound devices Reply with quote

Hi Giner,

One thing you may like to know is in my experience Vista thoroughly enjoys second-guessing which audio devices you set as default. My PC has onboard audio with a 2.1 speaker set connected to the rear audio and a headset with mic connected to the front. I also have an Edirol UA-25 connected via USB (when I want to). Vista also added about 8 other useless devices. Every so often Vista decides to change the default device to something other than what I want it set to by default. How nice of it to just randomly do this without asking.

I think the next Windows version should have a sound bite from 2001: A Space Odyssey as the login sound - "Open the pod bay doors please Hal" "I'm sorry Dave, I cannot do that"

It drives me bonkers with this behaviour especially when people call on Skype.
Giner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROFL I hear ya, man. Microsoft's a real charmer, eh? I even thought about rolling this thing back to XP, but there was so much faffing about getting SP1 into it I just 'caved' in the end. You know, I don't enjoy all this geek stuff, I just wanna get my tracks down with the minimum hassle.

I think I see a Mac in my future.
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't currently see any benefits to using Vista over XP. Maybe for 64-bit usage Vista makes more sense (seeing as XP-32 and -64 are effectively "discontinued") including being able to use and address more than 4GB RAM, but generally there's nothing else that doesn't work on XP yet. And XP is a rock solid, mature platform.

Windows 7, however... I think that will be worth waiting for (performance wise).

Skip Vista.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: