Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

korg emx synth Drive?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zerocool22

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: korg emx synth Drive? Reply with quote

Hey, ive seen somewhere you could manage the amount of drive on a synth? (on the screen appears drive then) But how do i activate that? I selected the synth, now what??
shabudua

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DRIVE knob is the the bottom-right-most knob on the EMX. Twist it to taste. Smile
zerocool22

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geez don't understand how i could look over this one!

Thx.

Do you know by any chance the best way how to learn how the synth works? A LOT OF KNOBS THERE?
shabudua

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way is probably just to continue to play with all the knobs and see what they do. Also the funnest Smile Reading the manual, although not as fun, can also be very helpful. Don't worry, you'll get it.
MagpieIndustries

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be helpful to stick to one or two of the synthesis methods when beginning, and figure out what the filter does first. Start by getting a relatively simple sound, try turning the Oscillator Type to Wave and select Saw with the main jog dial. Make sure the mix (osc edit 1) and modulation (osc edit 2) are set to 0. You should now have a primitive buzz sound. Now start playing melodies and experiment like crazy with the filter types, the cutoff and resonance so you understand what they do to the source sound. Add a little portamento. Now go back to the oscillator types and you will have a better understanding on how to shape them in a pleasing direction.
You can add more complexity a little later, by checking out the LFO action, and the filter EG (the knob below the cutoff) but I'd recommend leaving this stuff until you understand the oscillators and filters a little.

You can also dissect the preset sounds by finding one you like, and then turning the knobs until the display shows 'original value'. The knob is then at the correct position for that preset. Just keep turning off the effects and changing the values until you get a good understanding of what made that particular sound. You'll quickly start building up a library of ideas like "i want that acid squelchy sound, so start with a saw wave, add lots of cutoff and filter EG modulation, high resonance, some mild distortion and a little delay"..

You cant go wrong by just twisting all the knobs and exploring!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: