Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I make a smooth sample?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
soundklinik33

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: How do I make a smooth sample? Reply with quote

HI all,
I want to put some new samples into my ESX, such as pads, basses,
leads, strings, that would have LONG sustain IF I want it, when I press/hold the key .
When I look on the factory samples, (the synth samples) they are quite short, but long when you want,(with exeption of stabs).
How do you make nice smooth samples?
BTW I use Zero X beat creator to edit
TIA

Last edited by soundklinik33 on Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, the samples are loop samples... meaning it's a repeating(repeatable) waveform....

For example, say you have a saw wave /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ it can be as short as /\ and just looped over and over and be infinitely long. You use the same concept on complex synth sounds... for pads what you'd want to do the same thing but have a longer sample, perhaps 1-2 seconds long, and you can fade the end of it into the beginning(you can do this easily in soundforge).

For rough lead samples, you'd want to find the one cycle by looking at the waveform, usually if the sound doesn't change, there's a cycle somewhere you just gotta find it visually and trim the sample.

http://myspace.com/audioruso
MagpieIndustries

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a keyboard part. Take your sample, adjust the Loop Start point, it will now loop (play as long as you hold down the key). Adjusting the start, end and loop start points will get you different results. As ruso suggested, using an editor on a computer is much easier, but you can do the same only using the esx. Look at page 23 in the manual, about looping.
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's more convinient to have them ready before they go on the machine because it takes forever to find the perfect sample loop points on the machine. It is much easier to visualize the waveform when it's right in front of you. Also it is faster to set the sample to be a keyboard part by making it loop whole in esx wave organizer.

soundklinik33

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both,
yes that sound forge works great. I have one that I never re-installed, after changing MOBO, (and never used much in LIVE), but now I'm gonna have some clean samples.

I really got to learn all the features on ESX!! I've had the machine for a few months now and I still don't know half the features Embarassed
And thanx to you Ruso for your tutorials, they REALLY help...and are much appreciated!
Cheers Very Happy
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries. I would highly suggest messing with all the shift functions (the oens you access by holding shift and pressing the keyboard keys 1-16)

They are relatively self explanatory when you start playing with them. They are ALL mighty useful.

MagpieIndustries

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't much use the synth parts, so I havn't done the looping thing in a computer program. I am curious, once you have set the loop points, are you pitching it up and down to a root note on the PC, or do you transfer it over to the esx and then set the root note there?
soundklinik33

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruso wrote:
well, the samples are loop samples... meaning it's a repeating(repeatable) waveform....

For example, say you have a saw wave /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ it can be as short as /\ and just looped over and over and be infinitely long. You use the same concept on complex synth sounds... for pads what you'd want to do the same thing but have a longer sample, perhaps 1-2 seconds long, and you can fade the end of it into the beginning(you can do this easily in soundforge).

For rough lead samples, you'd want to find the one cycle by looking at the waveform, usually if the sound doesn't change, there's a cycle somewhere you just gotta find it visually and trim the sample.

Thanx Ruso,
in soundforge I discovered the "release" and "sustain" loop, each doing a different thing..WOW
It really changes the way I make samples now....
cheers Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: