Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M50 - does it have sounds similar to microKORG

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nikolay

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: M50 - does it have sounds similar to microKORG Reply with quote

Still waiting for my M50 (88 keys seems to be a bit hard to find at the moment) to arrive and in the meantime I am thinking whether I should keep my microKORG.

There are some sounds I really like (for example A15), but if M50 has similar or better sounds (analog synth like) there is no point in keeping the microKORG.

Thanks in advance for any opinions on this topic.
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd keep the microKORG - there's a big difference in the sound of analog/virtual analog versus a PCM-based synth.

Live with them both for a while before making a decision like this.

regards,

Jerry
nikolay

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jerry.

So the EDS provides only samples playback, nothing like virtual analog?

If I am happy with M50 I would probably upgrade at some point in time to the successor of M3 (I am going to wait for a newer product with pads that are not sticking and buttons with solid text that would not wear in few months usage). If the new product has the same RADIAS extension as M3 is this going to replace the microKORG?
Xenomorph

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Jerry on this one. A couple times have I thought about getting rid of the little micro but at at the end of the day I just couldn't do it. I stopped toying with the idea and am glad I held onto it.

Current: Pa5X, Nautilus
Past: M1, X5D, N364, Karma, X50, TR61, M50, micro-Korg, Triton Extreme, Pa3x, Roland Fantom 06, Akai mpc key61
nikolay

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am totally lost with this huge number of patches in M50 and what I am looking for is probably hiding somewhere, but I am still unable to find a lead synth sound even slightly close to the sounds I like in the microKORG. Thanks for advising me to keep the microKORG.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say it depends what you use in your sounds. If you like to use PWM and the osc modulation, cross mod, etc, I wouldn't get rid of the micro. But some simpler (detune, etc) lead sounds are quite possible on a sample-playback synth like the M50 etc.

if your sound design focuses mainly on filters, the EDS engine has two filters which is more exciting than your microkorg.
nikolay

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a total synth newbie (being mainly a guitar player) so I'm comparing the factory presets.

Maybe if I get into sound design as you suggest and learn how to program my own sounds I would be able to get what I need from M50, but as I am quite busy and don't have the time to delve into this I will just keep both synths and use them depending on the needs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: