Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help this noob at keyboards

View previous topic :: View next topic  
holy666

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Help this noob at keyboards Reply with quote

hello korg forums, so im new here, im a guitarist and ive been learning to play keyboards, and i plan to play keyboards with my band too so im thinking of buying a workstation, ive considered Korg M50 but im afraid that it wouldnt be enough good for the price or that id be paying just for the brand name,just like marshall mg amplifiers those amps are just a market scam, but on other hand there are some great products for their price like fender mexican strats are really good for their prices not as great at american strat but they are really good, nearly as an american one. So im a noob at keyboards and i need help plz could someone here guide me with your wisdom about keyboards or telling me another good workstation in the same price range like the korgM50 Confused
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M50 is a great choice for a learning keyboardist.
When I was starting out I had a microkorg, but this was too limiting, then I bought a TR (M50's predecessor), its only then when you get into a propper sample based workstation/synth that you can begin to play more complete sounding works etc, in my experience.
the high polyphony and wide selection of already usable sounds will help a lot in this respect.

i've always equated the Korg brand with high quality, intuitive, but suprisingly cheap for the number of features. I don't think you'd be 'paying for the brand' at all. If you're seriously on a budget then I think Korg offer some great stuff like the M50 which simply blows everything else out of the water.

Having said this, one other piece of gear I can recommend you check out is the Roland Juno-G.
The main feature it has over the M50 is the four audio recording tracks, although you most likely wouldn't be using those for live band use, or really in the studio either - its more for making a complete track on the synth including real guitar and vocals etc.
unfortunately like the Korg's previous TR, it only has 3 simultaneous effects. You'll quickly find that the M50's 5 insert effects, 3 band EQ for each program/timbre (up to 16?), two master effects, and one total effect - are much more flexible and invaluable for getting the most out of the sounds on offer.
also the drive in the amp section and the dual resonant filters mean its also better at producing analog type sounds than many competitors in the same price range.

You could also look at the alesis Fusion, but from what I hear its complicated, and is very buggy...
kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the M50 in its price range it's one of the most impressive workstation offering a huge ROM (256M, usually you have less wave-rom in this price range) and lots of interesting features as touchscreen, sequencer, SD slot, tons of sound ready to use, sync to external clock (or act as maste clock) ....

the only thing you may really miss in live situation is that M50 cannot playback mp3 o wave file.

another good WS in the same prince range are the Juno-G and the Juno-Stage (meant for live) or the "old" Yamaha Mo / Motif ES.

then, you need a workstation really? (i mean you need sequencer? you need acoustic sound?) because in the prince range of the M50 there are very good Virtual Analog synth.
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
You could also look at the alesis Fusion, but from what I hear its complicated, and is very buggy...

It has also been discontinued so you'd have to get one used--not the best choice for someone new to keyboards.

Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: