Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M50 Sequencer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jabba-san

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: M50 Sequencer Reply with quote

Hi there!

Ok, it's not so much M50 related. It's maybe much more general quuestion, but I can't stand it to put it here Wink

I'm new to new Korg workstations. I had E-mu sound modules and Korg Poly 800 mkII in the past (eh) and even then I used computer-based sequencers.
Now, I'm slowly realizing, that because I have a child (8 months), I need something packed in one machine. Something that will boot up fast and I 'll be able to hide with it fastly in other room if I need to Wink
Those reasons are also answer to those, who thinks that machine packet with sequencer and all those things like M50 isn't marketable theese days, because everyone uses computer for sequencing Wink

It started two months ago, when I helped my friend to choose something like I need right now. We soon realized, that all he needs is Roland Juno G, because it simply works alone. What I really like about it is - = Piano Roll = - view (they call it Micro Wink in sequencer along with event view. Ok Wink something I really don't like about JunoG is incredibely awful keyboard, which feels like it simply ignore low velocities ;(((( It's almost impossible to play soft on it, because it simply don't sound at all !!! ...

And then Korg M50 was anounced and came out Wink More i read about it more I like it. - And finaly, here's my question (and sorry for that long introduction):

How Korg manage detail track editing in the sequencer? I understand that it's simply unchanget throughout the years, so it will be the same on all Korg synts (along with cool features like independent looping - wow), so If you have Triton Extreme or LE or TR - please, feel free to answer.
What tools you have to edit simple notes, their pitch, their velocities or controllers like joystick? In some understand-on-first-view graphical view like piano roll or some "spread sheet" form like event view? I even can't resist to idea that because it has touchscreen, editing in piano roll will be really cool thing.

hope I'll hear something that calms me down Wink

Thanks,
Jan
Jabba-san

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

44 views up to now and no reply Crying or Very sad ?
No one is using Korg sequencer Shocked ?
Everybody is computer based Mad ?
Or is detail editing so painful that you don't want to talk about it Embarassed ?
klarnet basowy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TR and M50 have a sort of spredsheet editing mode.
The M3 with OS 2.0 have added piano roll like editing mode.
If you want to know more, you can download pdf manuals of the keyboards from korg website, and see in details how the sequencer editing works.

Andrew
kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M50 sequencer has a page call edit track parameter where you can see all the track of your song with highlighted the measures where midi events have been recorded. in this page you can add/delete/move/copy measures of single track or of all tracks. than you also have a midi event editor that gives you the whole list of recorded midi events and you can edit each of them.

M50 does not come with piano roll editor, instead M3 with OS2.0 yes (but i never use it neither in my DAW). with respect to a software sequencer, M50 built in sequncer has the drawback (not considering the obvious think of not having a large screen and a mouse) that you can use a maximum of 5 fx for 16 tracks
Jabba-san

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klarnet basowy wrote:
TR and M50 have a sort of spredsheet editing mode.
The M3 with OS 2.0 have added piano roll like editing mode.
I see Wink There still need to be some reason to buy M3 (ok - just kidding. I know the differences)
klarnet basowy wrote:

If you want to know more, you can download pdf manuals of the keyboards from korg website, and see in details how the sequencer editing works.
Eh... why I don't realize that? it's a shame Wink Thanks.

kimu wrote:
M50 sequencer has a page call edit track parameter .........[ cut ] ..... you also have a midi event editor that gives you the whole list of recorded midi events and you can edit each of them.
I see. So if I misspress my ragtime chord in long record session, I will not see it graphicaly like on JunoG, but I had to find it in the spread sheet like view and edit notes in this manner ;(
kimu wrote:
M50 built in sequncer has the drawback (not considering the obvious think of not having a large screen and a mouse) that you can use a maximum of 5 fx for 16 tracks

In fact, that's exactly the reason I thinking about M50. I always had a computer based studio (it all started on Amiga and then on PC on CakeWalk 3), so I'm highly used to big piano roll, big screen and mouse. But right now, I need some "all-in-one" but _additional_ solution. So because of it's "all in one" nature, i need workstation (light, portable, great sounds, Korg Wink and because of that _additional_ flag, I need something cheap, because I already have my gear (and my wife will kill me if I bough OASYS Wink.

So as far as I see, it's about Korg M50 - touch screen, velocity friendly keybed, great sounds, I always like Korg, Touchscreen = speed VS JunoG, poor keyboard which don't trigger sound if you play softly, no numpad buttons, bug graphical OS with user friendly piano roll for editing ;(

Hmmm... M50? Wink
kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if M3 is not on your options, then i would go for M50 with respect to Juno G Cool
maybe korg in next OS will gives us also a piano roll editor Question
Jabba-san

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again.

I played with M50 about 2 hours yesterday and I must admit, that the keyboard (i mean actual keys - keybed) is awesome. I was in the store, so I could compare "on site" with classic weighted 88 keys and even high budged synths, and m50 definitely feels strange (a lot) in first touch, but I found myself that after 20 minutes, when I tried other synth-action keyboards around me, they feel cheap and ugly. It's really inbetween weighted and synth keybeds. It's amazing and I really love it. I even find myself that I'm able to play fast parts like on real weighted keybeds (keys quicly return almost as usual).

So - among others - I'm with them who love m50 keys.

... Touchscreen. I love touchscreen for ages now. I've got lots of Palms (it's almost 10 years now) and even now I'm phone with touchscreen (I mean real one - not that "only working with finger flesh" iphone - like ones Wink, so setting m50 up is piece of cake and it's realy fast. If you find it with your eyes, you can change it instantly.
But the display ;( ... it's almost horrible. It's not B&W but rather something like dark blue & grey fractals ;( There was even bunch of vertical lines with different contrast. Like it was dirty of ink and it stays under the glass. Awfull.

Sound. Great. I can't judge the quality, because it was really noisy room (next to guitar section Wink, but it seems quite like M3. I personaly think that it's not the same (maybe same layers in velocity switching are missing? But I can't judge properly because of the ambient noise (lots of Wink

What suprised me - I didn't expect, that I will miss AFTERTIOUCH that much ;( Oh boy ... With split keyboard and both hands full (and without pedal)....

It boots up realy fast, it's build well (maybe the plastic sides - they're quite greyis in comparison to the top metal plate) and it has normal power conector (and not that korg 5pin thing).

And about sequencing - I'm not used to Korg interface, so I really was in trouble ;( I must admint, that on yamaha or ronald I just start to do something and it was it. On Korg, even with touchscreen, I was lost Wink

- ok. It's quite off topic Wink But why not to share ...
John_J

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jabba-san wrote:
Hi again.

I played with M50 about 2 hours yesterday and I must admit, that the keyboard (i mean actual keys - keybed) is awesome. I was in the store, so I could compare "on site" with classic weighted 88 keys and even high budged synths, and m50 definitely feels strange (a lot) in first touch, but I found myself that after 20 minutes, when I tried other synth-action keyboards around me, they feel cheap and ugly. It's really inbetween weighted and synth keybeds. It's amazing and I really love it. I even find myself that I'm able to play fast parts like on real weighted keybeds (keys quicly return almost as usual).

So - among others - I'm with them who love m50 keys.

... Touchscreen. I love touchscreen for ages now. I've got lots of Palms (it's almost 10 years now) and even now I'm phone with touchscreen (I mean real one - not that "only working with finger flesh" iphone - like ones Wink, so setting m50 up is piece of cake and it's realy fast. If you find it with your eyes, you can change it instantly.
But the display ;( ... it's almost horrible. It's not B&W but rather something like dark blue & grey fractals ;( There was even bunch of vertical lines with different contrast. Like it was dirty of ink and it stays under the glass. Awfull.

Sound. Great. I can't judge the quality, because it was really noisy room (next to guitar section Wink, but it seems quite like M3. I personaly think that it's not the same (maybe same layers in velocity switching are missing? But I can't judge properly because of the ambient noise (lots of Wink

What suprised me - I didn't expect, that I will miss AFTERTIOUCH that much ;( Oh boy ... With split keyboard and both hands full (and without pedal)....

It boots up realy fast, it's build well (maybe the plastic sides - they're quite greyis in comparison to the top metal plate) and it has normal power conector (and not that korg 5pin thing).

And about sequencing - I'm not used to Korg interface, so I really was in trouble ;( I must admint, that on yamaha or ronald I just start to do something and it was it. On Korg, even with touchscreen, I was lost Wink

- ok. It's quite off topic Wink But why not to share ...

Jabba, about the screen issue. Smile
All you need to do is turn the contrast knob next to the screen and those ugly lines will disappear! I was shocked when I saw the screen at first too, but after adjusting the contrast, it cleaned up beautifully.
Which M50 did you like the keybed on?
Was it the synth or piano one? Smile
I'm trying to choose which one to buy.
Jabba-san

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John_J wrote:
Jabba, about the screen issue. Smile
All you need to do is turn the contrast knob next to the screen and those ugly lines will disappear! I was shocked when I saw the screen at first too, but after adjusting the contrast, it cleaned up beautifully.
Not in this case. I tried that knob but it wasn't bad contrast. It was simply fault display, because it was darker in the middle and those lines was also most visible (and most dense) in the middle. That knob just make it worse or unreadable on the sides ;(
John_J wrote:
Which M50 did you like the keybed on?
Was it the synth or piano one? Smile
I'm trying to choose which one to buy.
I tried synth 61. I compared it on the spot with some twice priced yamaha and kurzweil and of course that it was something else, but it feels much much different than simple plastic synth keybeds. It's hard to describe it, but it's very cool feel to play it, it reacts more naturaly and (i think) quicker. I was simply amazed with that. I can hardly imagine how could it be with fully weighted 88 but maybe it's simply "weighted keyboard" like others and just this synth version is so cool Wink I didn't have chance because they didn't have 88 to play with in the shop.
Boynton

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree. M-50 61-note plastic keyboard feels great! How did they do it and keep the weight down?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: