Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'old' KLC-1: two questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Legacy Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClintRubber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: 'old' KLC-1: two questions Reply with quote

Hi all,

Coming back to using my KLC-1 with the MS-20 USB Controller
after a while. Must admit I'm not fully updated with all newer possibilities
here, but for now sticking to the old KLC-1 would already be nice.

Please allow me two simple questions, perhaps someone has a few answers.
They'll be answered here somewhere I guess, I did search already, but still am wondering. As said, I'm a 'returning user' that would like to keep things simple for now.
So a few yes or no's would already be much appreciated, thanks !

#1.

I've been using the 'old' authorisation method (Challenge/Response).
No direct need to go ahead to the USB-dongle-style.
I can then still update to KLC-1 v1.1.9, correct ?

#2.

Using this authorisation-method, can I install KLC-1
on two different computers ?
(so obtaining a second response for the second PC, without having
to remove it from the first PC)

As I understood so far from searching here & from the licence agreement
you're only allowed to install on one machine. Can understand that from
a piracy-prevention point of view, but it's very likely that a legitimate user
wants to have one instance on the home-machine and one on a laptop.

Having bought the software already, it'd be a bit weird to have to go to
that dongle-method just because of that... it might be just the very reason for it though,
but it's additional hassle and some cost. And I don't want to go the route of using
a 'found copy' on the second machine while I have the software & controller bought new myself.

Thanks!

Peter
ClintRubber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Please allow me a bump. Anyone got a spare minute ?

Thanks!
dave

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an awful lot of confusion over this. But, yes, essentially you're correct regarding your first question. With the C&R authorisation method, you can only upgrade as far as v1.1.10. If you wish to go any further, you must purchase a Syncrosoft dongle from Korg or through one of their authorised dealers.

I already had one from the Korg Legacy Digital Edition so it was absolutely painless (I've also installed my latest LinPlug licenses on it without any problems).

With regard to your second question, again you are correct that you may only install and use versions up to and including v1.1.10 on a single computer. The only way around this is to upgrade to the dongle-protected version which entitles you to install on as many computers as you like.

I would strongly recommend that you go down this route. I admit that I was initially unhappy at having to use a dongle since I'd heard so many horror stories. However, my experience has been completely painless and the ability to install the software on multiple systems has been an absolute boon.

Sorry you had to wait so long for any answer and I hope this one is helpful to you.

Kind regards.
Etaoin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave wrote:
you must purchase a Syncrosoft dongle from Korg or through one of their authorised dealers.

That's not entirely correct. You can get the Synchrosoft dongle from anywhere you like, it doesn't need to come from Korg or a dealer. A lot of people already have one (Cubase also uses it, for example).
dave

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KLC Upgrade FAQ wrote:
Please note that keys sold by Korg distributors are different from the blank keys sold through the retail channel, since those sold by Korg contain the upgrade license for KLC-1.

The FAQ, like everything else to do with this software, is confusing. Elsewhere, it mentions that it's fine to use Steinberg or Arturia keys. And then you find this paragaph I've quoted above.

Better safe than sorry, eh?

Kind regards.
Etaoin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use an existing dongle and add the license to that. That's what I did, so I know it's possible Very Happy

Anyway, if you buy the license in the online Korg store, it explicitly says:
Quote:

Note: This download purchase is a code-only (license) version of the v1.2 for the user who already has a compatible dongle; either a KORG USB key or other Syncrosoft dongles such as the Steinberg Key, IK Multimedia or Arturia versions.
Etaoin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that there was a pricing difference between the Korg dongle (with the license already on it) and the license itself. I'm not sure what the price of the dongle was, but I remember the license plus Arturia key together being a lot cheaper.

Anyway, I got the $15 license-only download one and added it to my existing Synchrosoft dongle without problems. I upgraded that one to AE2007 later, without problems either.
ClintRubber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave for the info, much appreciated and also Etaoin for chiming in.
(And please don't apologize for the delay, I'm happy you took the time to reply!)

While I'm confident Korg has all details correct and someone who concentrates a bit on all-things-KLC-XX will get the complete & correct picture,
the whole diversity of models & versions & possible&impossible paths has become way to complex to release on the marketplace I think Cool

That aside, I understood that living Synchrosoft-dongle-less so far, the simple capability to run my newly bought KLC-1 software on another (own) machine will set me back EU39, which I think is a bit steep for that.

I assume it's not possible to 'de-Korg' the first machine and transfer the C&R license to a second machine ?

Thanks / regards !
dave

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I first got this software, I ran out of installs because I didn't realise that the Audio Unit version is simply a wrapper for the VST version. Because I don't use VST, I kept trashing the KORG VST folder. Naturally, the software didn't work.

Thanks to a Korg USA staffer who lurks from time to time on this forum, I eventually realised the error of my ways – but I was stuck, with no installs left. Korg USA very kindly got in touch with Korg UK (my local distributor), and they had to contact Korg Japan to have all my installs reset.

So my experience has been that you'll need to get in touch with your local Korg distributor, explain your situation, and seek their help.

Kind regards.
ClintRubber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave wrote:
There's an awful lot of confusion over this.

I saw Korg did their best to explain it, there's this pdf that combines the various info:

http://www.korg.com/downloads/pdf/Legacy_Differences.pdf

Might already be known, but for those that hadn't seen it....

It's not clear to me though that IF you keep walking the path from KLC-1 to KLC-AE2007, you seem to lose the Wavestation, for which you need to buy the KLC-Digital Edition.

But what if you don't buy KLC-DE, will you still keep the Wavestation as installed back at KLC-1 ?

Last but not least, wouldn't a 84% Polysix controller be nice ?
It'll never happen I guess, and there's also already the overlay template for it for the 84% MS-20, but still... Very Happy

Bye,

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Legacy Collection All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: