Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

vsti editor question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
walsingham

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: vsti editor question Reply with quote

hi - first post just got m50 - its amazing, and im blown away -
only issue i have is recording into cubase 4
is the vsti editor supposed to be used for each midi track ?
obviously i can only have one instance of it running as a vsti "instrument"
should output be to m50 voices " or m50 editor " ? i read on the other korg board that there was a mistake in instruction manual ?
i cant change the patch per individual midi track - whatever is selected in midi editor becomes the patch for all midi playback tracks.
should i not use the editor and just route via midi cable the traditional way ?

I have latest m 50 os and midi drivers loaded
me brain hurts !
thanks - wals

win xp
cubase 4
kanthos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd load a combi instead of a program, because that lets you have 16 individual programs at once, each potentially using a different MIDI channel, which is exactly what you'd want for recording.
walsingham

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, will try with combi - but you can confirm that you set up vsti editor - then that will give you individual midi tracks - there isnt any m50 definition necessary in the " define midi instruments" , and i dont need to define external midi instrument - just trying to find out what people are doing for cubase 4 setups.
thanks
wals
StudioMan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walsingham,

I'm using SX3. In SX3, I just do it like any instrument(s), I just do separate midi tracks, play the part, then I can later go back and record the audio after I make timing adjustments, etc. Then I can convert to audio separately. Doing it this way, I can (example; mix with a synth where I think it should be, then maybe -3db). This saves BIG hassle during Mastering incase I screw up the mix, and generally I know I have a problem, which is the reason I have included a different mix with "XYZ down -3db..

Then, I don't have to hassle resetting midi channels on anything, I just create a new midi track, record (midi) each instrument on different tracks.

I just got my M50 in my studio last week, but I've got probably 50 hours into playing with it as a VSTi. So far, I'm impressed. I recorded a bunch of voices, just to hear them in different systems/cars. I have a few things together with the M50 as the keys, but nothing ready for a mixdown yet.

But, in SX3, there are MANY options for midi recording methods (I'm just saying how I personally work). From my understanding, Cubase 4 is basically the same, but I have never actually worked in Cubase4 yet.

Which version of C4 are you using?

Also, I don't know your experience level with C4, but keep in mind you will have to record the audio prior to doing a mixdown.

I hope this answers your question??

Mike
walsingham

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike - thanks for responding!
i have the regular cubase 4 -not studio , or essential . i was on sx3 for years before i got the courage to switch - ( if it aint broke ect..)
May i ask , at any time in your method with the vsti editor , are you able to have a midi track say for bass , a midi track for keys , a midi track for a pad - monitor them all thru one stereo audio track monitoring the output of the m50?
I know if i want the audio mixdown of individual midi track , i would mute the unwanted midi tracks - or solo the desired one.
this is my first jump into a midi setup - in the past i was able to have some midi tracks assigned to,say a soft synth and i could have different tracks like the scenero above - thats all i want, i think its the m50editor function thats messing with my head!
did you have to set up a midi instrument definition ? I know C4 doesnt have m50 as an option - and i cant find a script file for definitions.
thanks again for taking the time
Wals
StudioMan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is exactly how I do it.

Be sure to setup the M50 as a VSTi.

I'm loving my rig with SX3.. I can do the C4 upgrade for like $150,,, but no balls right now... I keep reading whore stories about C4,, I'm waiting it out for a while longer..
EVERYTIME I post in the Cubase Forum, 90% say "Don't upgrade yet". From what I'm gathering, the only major thing I gain is the ability to change the order of my effects chain by just grabbing the effect and moving it..
To lose my plugs,, just not ready I suppose.

And SX3 with my hardware is just running SO GOOD for the last couple of years... The ONLY thing I've changed in the last well over a year is adding my M50 as a VSTi (Which I am SO GLAD I DID!)..

It should just be working perfect if you have the VSTi setup correctly.. At least is SX3..

This morning I was actually reading the SX3 manual on Midi editing/management issues..

This is the 1st techno project I've done for myself.. So really, the really involved Midi stuff is fairly new to me,, but I have a clue..

Lates,

Mike
StudioMan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be misunderstanding your question...

Let me try something.. I'll record say 4 different M50 instruments onto different tracks, and see if they all playback at the same time.. Is that your question?

I think that is what your asking??

Mike
walsingham

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep - exactly , im was trying to figure out how to set the individual midi tracks to play their own instruments - i thought if i set each track to a different channel that is how it would be done - but cant figure out how to tell the editor to assign different tracks to different channels .
( i may be absolutely on the wrong logic path here - being midi deficient in the brain ! )
as it is now , the individual tracks will only play back what ever is selected in editor.
re cubase : I didnt have any problems with plugs transfer- but i just use my 1 uad for most stuff - cubase 4 came with some decent ones - built in tuner vst is handy too - control room , and what seems to be quicker processing has been nice, i only run like 12 tracks per project tho - so im sure im not pushing c4 the way others who have had problems i guess .
wals
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: