Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I am torn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingBooger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: I am torn Reply with quote

I have a Yamaha MO6 and Korg EMX. I want something to give me more variety in my music. My music is unique, but tends to lean towards techno. I originaly wanted to get the M3, but decided it was too expensive. I am almost sure about getting the M50, but since I have the MO6, I don't know if I need another workstation. My other option was the Radias. Any thoughts?
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get the Radias for that money and music, M50 wont give you nothing
new nor its good for that kind of music.
kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just get a real VA or an analogic synth
klarnet basowy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radias or another VA, no doubt.
StudioMan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first question you should ask yourself,,, "How well do you know your MO6? Can you easily manipulate EVERYTHING in the MO6?
If you don't know your MO6 inside & out, because it's to difficult, in turn you don't feel your getting everything out of your MO6, then consider getting yourself an M50. The M50 is VERY SIMPLE to use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huDSADYTWe8 (My son & I did this little into video)

What I would personally do (now that I own a decent workstation), get into a tabletop (a synth without keys) by Roland or Yamaha.

For you, look at that M3-M (I think that is what it's called).

Best of luck!

Mike
KingBooger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice. I'm considering selling the MO6 to help fund the M50. I don't know if there is a big enough difference between them though. I have multiple scenarios going on in my head. One is to save up for the M3, which might take awhile. Another is to get an M50 and then down the road get a Radias. And the other is to keep the MO6 and just get the Radias. I went to Guitar Center and tried out the M50 and M3 and liked them, but they did not have a Radias, so I'm not sure if I will love it or not. I have seen many videos on YouTube about the Radias, though. One thing I was curious about was the step sequencers on Radias. Do they work like the sequencers on the Electribes? Anyway, thanks for listening.
ianfoxfire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here 2 cents from a gearslut...

Realistically you can make techno with any of these.. it just depends on what sound set your looking for, how you like to sequence, and/or if you like programing sounds from the ground up.

Korg M50, i just bought this after returning the new Fantom G6. All i can say is I am blown away!! the default sounds including drums are simply cutting edge. Editing and creating sounds in the M50 is fun and intuitive. using the VST editor saves neck pains from looking down so much when programming. (which is why i realized replacing software daw with the fantom G was a bad idea)
Sequencing on the M50 is nothing like the electribes ( unfortunately )..
BUT you can create Arpeggiations & drum patters via a grid editor, and assign these to patches, or keys via korgs RPPR.

RADIAS, If your looking for instant raw techno sounding patches, the radias is a lot of fun, with quick access to wave warping and FM modulations in the OSC menu, plus a really a trippy Vocoder.

All korgs are known for there crips edgy digital sounds.

Yamaha's are known for there beautiful organic sounding recreation of acoustic instruments + a very nice arpeggiator, great for all realms of music. I hope to add one to my collection some day.

For now im happy with the M50 for a general soundset, and my virus TI !

Good luck
KingBooger

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am considering geting a laptop and a DAW. I have never done anything with my music that is computer related. What are the advantages or disadvantages with DAW's? How do they compare with something like the M50?
StudioMan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingBooger wrote:
I am considering geting a laptop and a DAW. I have never done anything with my music that is computer related. What are the advantages or disadvantages with DAW's? How do they compare with something like the M50?

They DON'T compare! Kinda like comparing an Apple to an ink pen..

But a DAW with the M50 as a VSTi,,, well,,, that is an AWESOME setup! Just as I have..

Mike
kanthos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest keeping the MO6 unless you really don't use acoustic sounds at all. I was recently comparing the TR-61, MO6, and M50-61. I bought the TR-61 because of a really low price ($650 US new) but it would've been a tossup between the MO6 and M50 otherwise. In my opinion, I found the MO6 to have better acoustic instrument sounds than the M50, while the M50 was better by far at synth lead sounds and better (though not as much) at pads. The MO6 will be a nice complement to an M50 or, as others suggest, a Radias or other VA; given that you favour electronic music, I'd go with the Radias or VA over the M50. You don't really need a second workstation and you'll get more overlap between the M50 and MO6 than the MO6 and Radias/VA.

A laptop, audio interface, and VSTs are a good option too, as long as you keep in mind that laptops don't stand the stress of gigging as well as a keyboard and that VSTs tend to go out of date more quickly than keyboards. You will, however, get a lot more sound variety for cheaper than you'd get with keyboards, even if you feel the need for a second controller to complement your MO6.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: