Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amplifier

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jugo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Amplifier Reply with quote

Ok, so what Amp should I buy along with my m50? I just need a simple one for home use, that's all.. was thinking of either M-Audio BX5A or Roland KC-60.. or something in between that price range.. Any suggestions?
FifthElement

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't go for a keyboard amp. The sound quality isn't that good unless you spend a lot of money on a stereo capable one.

Nearfield studio monitors are the best bet unless you intend to play live - then go for powered monitors (JBL etc.) - unless you have access to a PA.

Actually, for home use, a good pair of quality headphones is fine.

Fender Strat Plus Deluxe, Ibanez MESA, Line6 Variax, Line6 POD 2.0
Jugo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm.. Why is an amp bad? What I need is only for use at home, for myself.. no headphones.. (Although I will get 'em eventually) (and I dont have that much money). so.. any other suggestions?
StudioMan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll tell you what I was doing for the first few weeks of owning my M50, the first pro-level keyboard I've had in probably 20 years.

Near-field monitors are the ONLY way to go to monitor for recording, make no mistake there. Now that my M50 bounces between the recording studio (Sound setups and some experimental recording to date, I use MKIIs), live weekends (Live, whatever PA we are using, floor monitors and I personally play with in-ears) and weekday practices (Practice monitor system for the band, I still use my in-ears).

But like I said, when I first got my M50, I just had it in my familyroom, just to force me to spend even more time playing with it. I actually play Bass in my cover band (Well, Bass and Keys now), so in my family room I have a small/budget bass amp (Acoustic B20, apprx. $120). A year ago I wanted just a small, but decent sounding bass amp for in my familyroom for practice. I read about the B20 in Bass Player mag (It won best overall practice bass amp for 2008). I saw this amp in my local GC one day, and the salesman who I generally buy thru claimed it was AWESOME for the $. I tried it and instantly bought one. FOr what it is, you really would be amazed!

Well,,, when I got my M50, I of course instantly plugged it into my little B20 practice amp,,, and DAMN!!!! I was shocked how decent it sounded (Not for recording setups or anything like that, but just to learn how to use the M50's basics). For what the B20 is, you will be amazed... Again, for what it is!!

The ONE downfall of the B20, there is NOT a pre-amp out (The amp could NEVER be used live since I can't get a good signal out of it to feed the mains). I'm running the new Markbass as my primary bass rig, if something happens, I would just feed the PA and continue to monitor with my in-ears, I really don't need a backup bass rig. The Pre-out meant nothing to me for my planned use of the B20. And my band would probably beat me half to death if I showed up with a $400 amp for a gig. If I showed up with a practice amp, they would probably shoot me!LOL

If your looking only at a $ amount, I seriously doubt you can beat the B20 (Actually, even up to around $200 I doubt you can beat this little practice bass amp). But if you don't have a live rig, and this amp will be your only amp, look at the next models up from the B20, get something with a preamp out. That will permit you to use it live. Then, when you have the $ for a better rig, you still will have a back-up plan in case something bad happens to your primary rig (Backup plans are VERY IMPORTANT).

Just my two cents!

Mike
kev410

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:10 am    Post subject: Alesis M1 Active 520 75W Active Near-Field Reference Monitor Reply with quote

Anyone using or have experience with Alesis M1 Active 520 75W Active Near-Field Reference Monitor? Read alot of good reviews online and priced at $199 a pair.
FifthElement

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StudioMan wrote:

Well,,, when I got my M50, I of course instantly plugged it into my little B20 practice amp,,, and DAMN!!!! I was shocked how decent it sounded (Not for recording setups or anything like that, but just to learn how to use the M50's basics). For what the B20 is, you will be amazed... Again, for what it is!!

Good to hear you got some use out of your old amp, but bass and guitar amps are not really recommended for keys. They "colour" the sound (as they are designed to) and don't have the wide frequency range.

Whatever you use it needs to be a "clean" full frequency system with stereo - i.e. headphones, PA system, 2 x powered monitors or nearfield monitors.

Playing live I put keyboards, vocals and guitars (via a POD amp sim) through the PA which is a Soundcraft powered mixer and 2 x JBL Eons (I'd recommend anything JBL - crystal clear whatever is going through them) with foldback monitors. At home I just use headphones - a pretty cheap pair of Sennheisers.

I've got an old Peavey Keyboard amp which is powerfull but only use it as a last resort for practice - stereo piano through a mono keyboard amp is never good - even if you use 2 channels. The sound quality of the M50 would really be wasted on any mono keyboard amp!

Fender Strat Plus Deluxe, Ibanez MESA, Line6 Variax, Line6 POD 2.0
kanthos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jugo wrote:
hmm.. Why is an amp bad? What I need is only for use at home, for myself.. no headphones.. (Although I will get 'em eventually) (and I dont have that much money). so.. any other suggestions?

Main reason is that for the same amount of money, you get better sound quality out of monitors than you would out of an amp, probably because a good part of the cost of the amp goes to rugged construction, the fact that it's bigger, etc.

Mind you, an amp may have better bass response than equivalently-priced monitors because the speaker cone on the amp is that much bigger, but you could always just get a subwoofer for your monitors.

If you do a lot of gigging and can't afford both monitors and an amp, you'll need an amp; if you only ever play at home, go with monitors.
Stephen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at the Behringer B212A, for the last year or so, I've used one for gigs, put an SM-57 in front of it, and plug that into the FOH system, I'm completely happy with it, so much so, that I bought another for the studio, and rehearsals, that can we sing through, and can also act as a spare, or if I should ever need to just push more air on stage.

The Mackies, and JBLs, are great, but too expensive in my opinion.

I use M-Audio BX 5s in the studio for recording, and they work great for the keyboards also.
HTH.
Very Happy
http://cdbaby.com/all/jstephenfoster

Location Central U.S.A.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: