Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Global Effects" Assigned to Knobs 1-4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andreuz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: "Global Effects" Assigned to Knobs 1-4 Reply with quote

Hello Everyone-

My name is Andreuz. I am a newbie to the Korg Forum / M50. My System / Hardware / Software information is at the bottom. I just purchased a Korg M50-88 last week and have not figured out a few things and need some help, starting with this post.

I can not seem to find a way to "assign" the 4 knobs (user) to GLOBALLY change effects. I am NOT talking about assigning effects to indivudual Combi's or Programs, I am talking about assiging & saving them to globally affect ALL Combi's or Programs "On the Fly". This is different than assigning them to individual Combi's or Programs because there you must "save" it to recall it later. In my case - I do not want save the effect, I just want to be able to apply it globally to any Combi or Progarm quickly & easily and if I change to another program I can add effects instantly "On the Fly" without saving it.

I would like assign some simple effects to "user" knobs 1-4 that by turning the knobs. Turing knobs "Counterclockwise" would decrease the effect and turning "Clockwise" would increase the effect assigned to that knob. Global Examples:

Knob 1: Stereo Delay
Knob 2: Stereo Chorus
Knob 3: Compressor
Knob 4: Phase

If anyone can help me and explain how to do this, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in adavnce !
Andreuz

Last edited by Andreuz on Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is no way to assign knobs globally, i mean knobs 1-4 row A are hardwired to some often-used parameter for all sounds (e.g. Cutoff, resonance, attack and release if i am not wrong) whilst row B is freely assigneable FOR program/combi.

you cannot assign effect and these knobs globally, if you want so yuo have to change each program/combis effects and knobs assignment
Andreuz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is indeed true . . . this is huge limitation to the M50 keyboard and I am very dissapointed. I just assumed when I purchased it online that this it would have this very common feature. Comparing it to the Yamaha MOTIF and other workstations, they all can do this simple function. I will definetly will be putting in for a request to have this added to the next system upgrade. . . if indeed it can be even be changed via software upgrade, that I dont know. If anyone one else knows of a way to to do this global effects function... please post.

Thanks,
Andreuz

kimu wrote:
there is no way to assign knobs globally, i mean knobs 1-4 row A are hardwired to some often-used parameter for all sounds (e.g. Cutoff, resonance, attack and release if i am not wrong) whilst row B is freely assigneable FOR program/combi.

you cannot assign effect and these knobs globally, if you want so yuo have to change each program/combis effects and knobs assignment

Run

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm not so sure if this could help but anyway here's the link:

http://karma-lab.wikidot.com/korg-m50:how-to-assign-knob-to-effect-levels
Andreuz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just could not believe this was true, so I called Korg Technical Support to get an answer to this important issue.

There is a way to assign 2 Global Effects by assigning MFX Send 1 & Send 2 to any of the 4 knobs in the P1 (Basic Control Page) for "Real-Time" Control. Then, go to P9 and select the desired effect for MFX1 & MFX2. At least you can control 2 GLOBAL EFFECTS. 2 is better than none at all ! I will assigning Delay & Chorus, the 2 most popular effects to knobs 1 & 2. Also, the knobs must be in "user", realtime mode. I was told that system v1.1 has added 700 additional effects to choose from !

So, I just answered my own question to my post... but I had to call Korg to get the correct answer.

Andreuz

kimu wrote:

kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what i meant is that this setting is true for that COMBI or that PROGRAM, not for all COMBI and PROGRAM... i think (pleas tell me if i am wrong) that if you want it for all sounds you have to set this for all sounds...
Andreuz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimu-

You were absoulety correct. Currently it can only be done in each indivual Program or Combi patch. I called Korg Tech Support again to verify this as they made it sound it could be done globally... which was not true.

However, when I had them on the phone, I told them about my idea of including it as a "Global" option... and they thought it was a very good idea... especially for live performing keyboard players. My idea will be passed along the software developers. Hopefully in the future we will see it added to the "Global Options" while still keeping the current way of saving it per patch as well. He said it would have to be both a software & firmware update.

For now... I will have to just tweak and save it in my most commonly used Program files with FX1 & FX2 assigned to Send 1 & 2. Then, keep a back up of all these "tweaked programs" (M50all).

kimu wrote:
what i meant is that this setting is true for that COMBI or that PROGRAM, not for all COMBI and PROGRAM... i think (pleas tell me if i am wrong) that if you want it for all sounds you have to set this for all sounds...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: