Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Love the M50 but what about audio ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stefan13

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Love the M50 but what about audio ? Reply with quote

I am getting back into song writing (its been 15+ years!) and I love the M50 which I played yesterday for a couple hours at a local music shop. Just love the inspiration from the combi's and drum tracks!

I know the M50 does not have sampling capabiity and therefore no chance to record audio on it. What would you do if you knew you needed to frequently record audio (I get my voice/melody ideas early on in the process)? Had my eye on a Yamaha PSR-900 but don't like the Arranger path. Looked at the Motif XS and it would more than do the job, but twice the price, an unattractive board and user unfriendly. I suppose the M3 is a way but again a lot of $$$.

I can always consider adding voice afterwards, but I need some means to capture my voice (singing) sketches early on. Ideally I could record this and toss on another track or two and work from there.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Smile
kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imo the best would be to get also a laptop, an USB audio interface and sequencer software. for the firt two you have to pay (but you do not need to use a nasa-laptop, a normal laptop will be ok), also you can find 2in/2out audio interface at low price. regarding software you can try some free software as audacity o low cost one as Reaper (even sometimes yu have one software in bundle with the audio interface).

if you do not want pc, have to take a hardware sequencer.
kanthos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd record both your voice and the M50 on your computer. The M50 plus a good audio interface (if you don't have one) will still be considerably cheaper than a better keyboard.
stefan13

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to both.

Does the software included with the M50 not handle sequencing ?

Also, I could be wrong, but I can't see the DAW being as easy to use on the fly as the M50 itself ? At least not for the early stages of recording.

Am I wrong on this ?

thanks
kanthos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on your preference. I find it *much* easier to record individual MIDI tracks with a DAW than to use the sequencer on any keyboard.

The software included with the M50 is just an editor that lets you make changes to the contents of the keyboard (change sounds in a combi, change drum parts, etc.); I doubt it handles sequencing at all.
StudioMan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get a decent interface that comes with Cubase..

EASY to use... Spend an hour with the manual, you got the basics.

Big explination knocked down, get a DECENT INTERFACE! If you want to spend a little $, get the FW1082 (Firewire)by Tascam $600.
A decent set of nearfield monitors $400, look at Alesis MKIIs, self powered.

For a G-note, your good to go, and actually do it fairly well.

I have a Tascam 122, I'd let go for $75.. It's decent but only 2 channels, but good converters.
All about the converters! The more you spend, the better converters (D/A A/D).

Do the research, or trust me.
1) Used you can find decent USB Converters for under $100, nice to start with and even just have to play with once in a while.
2) MONITORS is the key!!!!! For $2k, your started fairly nice! Look at the $100 deal of Aurelex foam for at least infront of you. As a $200 DBX EQ and a $40db meter, make a CD with test tones matching the EQ, make a nice mix position,,, and you can really do some decent stuff,,, Assuming you can play!!! LOL

I hope this helps!

Mike
TkWall

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good ol' Anvil Studio can still be found. Free. Records both audio and midi tracks. Not that hard to figure out.

Terry
stefan13

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike
Cutter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great topic, many "new" people want to know the same things.

The Audacity looks simple and free is always good. What other simple very basic programs would you suggest that are straight live audio multiple track programs. For example plug in a keyboard a mic and a drum machine and play and record in audio or wav?

Also for those who use Audacity can the program record music playing on yor computer in a program such as Rhapsdy? If not is there a program that can?
kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another very simple and cheap multi-track audio/midi program is Reaper.
or Cakewalk Music Director is simpler and cheaper than big brother Sonar.

anyway often with USB audio interfcae you get also some Lite versione of recording program...
StudioMan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look guys, if your THAT unfamiliar with Computer recording, why in the world do you want something for free, that will only waste your time and energy?
Buy a decent (Doesn't have to be a high-dollar interface), it will come with a DAW (lite version) for FREE!!

Don't bother using your on-board sound card in you computer,,, go buy a USB interface!!!!

Personally, I'd go with something that comes with Cubase Lt., it's the simplest DAW to use and later, should you really get into it, the high-end versions are the same as the free versions (well, you get more power, but basically identical).

Look at used Tascam 122. I've used/own this unit. Simple to setup, comes with Cubase Lt, very decent converters,,, for the $, a GREAT unit. I bet on E-bay you can score one for around $50 to $100 with shipping!

Lots of options. But getting something that is "Name brand" so you have support and a forum...

But do what you want.. Only trying to help!

Mike
a.schemkes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StudioMan wrote:
Just get a decent interface that comes with Cubase..

EASY to use... Spend an hour with the manual, you got the basics.

Big explination knocked down, get a DECENT INTERFACE! If you want to spend a little $, get the FW1082 (Firewire)by Tascam $600.
A decent set of nearfield monitors $400, look at Alesis MKIIs, self powered.

For a G-note, your good to go, and actually do it fairly well.

I have a Tascam 122, I'd let go for $75.. It's decent but only 2 channels, but good converters.
All about the converters! The more you spend, the better converters (D/A A/D).

Mike

It's exactly what I did (Tascam US-144), I had to buy a mic too. I bought the SE2200A and its just like studioman says. STudy the manual for an hour and your ready to go. I just finished the recording and we (singer and me) are very pleased with the results.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what the options are now, but back when I was buying a workstation (about a year and a half ago), I saw the Roland Juno-G has four audio tracks in the sequencer, thought that was cool...
Cutter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Roland stage has an audio recorder and a xlr mic input with phantom power...and a small vocoder but I think you have to add memory and you are very limited on that. Some of the other brands like Yamaha are doing that as well. I think in the next couple of years you will see a lot of keyboards with recording on board because there is a lot of demand. Not only that but the components needed are simple small and cheap.

It would interest me to have a simple all in one setup as I create as I play and would prefer to catch it live. Step and loop recording is too mechanical.

past KorgDW8000/ KorgX2 / Korg N-88/Alesis Q6/ Alesis Q8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: