Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is the compatibility between the M50 & M3 factoryso

View previous topic :: View next topic  
M3forever

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: What is the compatibility between the M50 & M3 factoryso Reply with quote

I don't believe the contents/voice name lists are 100% identical between the 2 models due to the karma & arpegiator considerations which is a distinctive feature to each. However, isn't the M50 internal sound engine more or less the same?

Would I damage the M3 if I tried to load the M50 factory sounds into it?Would the sounds play as designed/intended or would a tangled-up sonic mess result! Any of you own both and experimented?

Anybody tried it? What happened?

Thanks,
Bruce
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M50 and M3 share EXACTLY the same synth engine and the same samples.
but the programs are different. as far as i'm aware most M50 programs are taken from the M3 but with Karma replaced with arpegiators etc.

on the M50 you won't be able to use your own samples, but you can load programs as they both share the same engine and therefore the same PCG format.

obviously combi's will point to the wrong programs and on the M50 there are less programs and combi spaces in general.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
jg::
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that you can share files between the two, if you use the Editor. I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

jg::
kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for what i have understood, being that EDS engine its exactly the same except for Karma and expansions, the M50 loads the M3 programs thanks to a kind of converter in the new OS and editor (maybe have to remove/ignore some data from the PGC file to load it correctly in the M50).

so i guess (but personal opinion) the program of M50 could be loaded in the M3, but maybe in the M3 some adaptor have to be implemented in OS so to ignore/remove data not usable in M3 program format (e.g. arpeggiator)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: