Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Don't Laugh i2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Arrangers (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg Spaulding

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Don't Laugh i2 Reply with quote

Ok, I have an OLD Korg i2. I bought it brand new, shows my age! I've used it on stage and for recording. I've never used the midi in and out. Brings me to my question. Can I use this keyboard as a midi controller. Using an M-AUDIO UNO usb interface. I can't get it working with Vista, Acid 7 and Aria. Any help would be appreciated. Greg
Ron

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also own a Korg i2. Was a great keyboard in its time and still not bad. Keyboard should work fine as a MIDI controller. I have connected this keyboard to my HP laptop running WinXP using M-Audio UNO interface with no problems except for some noise in my amps which seems to go away when my laptop is on battery.
Greg Spaulding

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ron for the reply. Good to know someone still uses this keyboard. Can you give me some details as to what should be set on the i2. Do I turn off local control under Global? Any certain channel settings? I'm new to midi. Thanks again. Greg
Ron

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greg,

I recently purchased a Pa2X and have not been using the i2 for a while. You should do the same when you can. It's a truly amazing upgrade.

Working with MIDI can be a little frustrating when you first get started but it's not really difficult. Take it a step at a time. MIDI out only, just notes. When the is working OK, add in more complexity. E.g., program changes, aftertouch, etc. And then close the loop to receive MIDI also. There are some good MIDI tutorials on the net. I'll try to find you something when a have a little more time.

Anyway, let see if I can help a little. Let's talk about sending midi and not receiving for now.

Local Control only determines whether the i2 will play as well as transmit data. If you do no want to hear the i2 when you are using it as a midi controller, turn Local Control off. (Also, you need to be careful that the other devices you are using do not send the info back to the i2 creating a loop.) Suggest you start by connecting only to the midi out at the i2 until you get at least the transmit working OK.

You must set the clock source to INT if you want the i2 to sync to another sequencer but this is not too important unless you are receiving midi messages.

The Global/Keyboard Channel should be set to the channel of the receiving device. This is the main transmit channel for the keyboard and transmits notes you play on the keyboard, program change messages, sysex, etc. Start with the default channel 01.

The other MIDI Channels are for transmitting and receiving ARGT, EDIT STYLE, and BACKING SEQ modes.

The bottom line of the GLOBAL PARAMETERS 1 page are the MIDI filters. Disable these to prevent transmit and receive the messages shown.

Greg, if you have manuals, have a look starting on page 211 of the Reference Manual. If you do not have the manuals, I would be willing to copy a few pages for you.

Hope this helps to get you started.

Ron
Greg Spaulding

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ron. I'm still trying to find my manual. Buried in some box but I know I have it. I think my problem is on the computer side. I've got everything set as they instruct but the only thing that it ocasionally picks up is pitch bend info, even though I'm only pressing a note. When using the UNO interface the midi in light is constantly flashing. Is this normal? It does stop for a brief second when I press or release a note. My Acid Pro 7 software will record midi using the in line synth, or a soft synth but when I switch to the UNO there is no input. I've checked and checked, everything seems to be set right. Frustating. Your right I have to start simple but still no input. Any further help would be appreciated. Greg
Ron

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greg,

It's been a while, but the UNO MIDI IN led should only flash when it receives a midi message. There is also a USB led that is supposed to pulse to indicate the interface is powered and working.

Not to insult, but please double check which led is doing what. The led labels are on the case but they are small and hard to read. Also, you could double check that the MIDI IN cable from the UNO is connected to MIDI OUT on the i2.

Glad to keep trying to help but M-AUDIO Tech Support is 626-445-8495 just in case.

Ron
Ron

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,

One more thought and once again, not to insult, but if memory serves me, there is an M-Audio driver that needs to be loaded on your PC. I'm assuming you have done this?

Ron
Greg Spaulding

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No insult taken and thanks for your help. You answered one important question, the Midi in LED. Either UNO is constantly getting messages or it's faulty. The power led pulses and the midi in led flashes very quickly when the midi in is connected to the midi out on the i2. Guess I'll check M-audio. There is no driver required for Vista, according to the M-audio site. Thanks again Ron. Greg
Ron

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greg,

I think I gave you some bad info. I was not sure about the led's so I dug out my i2 and hooked up the UNO to my laptop. MIDI OUT only.

Just as you said, the MIDI IN led on the UNO blinked rapidly. (In fact it stayed on constantly until I set the i2 clock to EXT. I then switched the clock back to INT which made no difference. That is, the MIDI IN led on the UNO continued to blick rapidly and but did not go back to constantly on.)

I played some notes into SONAR and they recorded just fine.

Connected the MIDI OUT cable to MIDI IN on the i2. Notes played on the i2 just fine also. Interestly, the MIDI OUT on the UNO behaved as I thought and only blinked when the notes played.

I can only assume that the i2 is sending something like clock pulses to cause the UNO MIDI IN to blink constantly but I don't know for sure. All I can tell you is that it worked correctly in spite of the constant blinking and there seemed to be no mystery data recorded in SONAR.

Sorry for the confusion.

Ron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Arrangers (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: