Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ellll Mar '09 oasm
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: ellll Mar '09 oasm Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

This will be the first time I have put up a clip for my whole month entry...It is required in a sense; the whole thing is over 10 min...

This is again an Improv ..with a LOT of time spent; A few know I began this 9 months ago... What is here is the climatic portion (beginning just before the climax), when the Phoenix, in this very personal rendition, has found it's resurrection, with a fade in/out. Perhaps I will put more on another time. I hope you will treat it tough, for it has problems yet...

Turn it up!

http://www.korgforums.com/mp3/Phoenixclip.mp3

My Regards to ALL, John (ellll) Very Happy

Long...But some asked...so here is the whole thing... original just played and rec. on the sequencer...; then bad notes removed...and a few notes improved..(generally too loud...so I drop the velocity on the bad ones a bit...) I am still in trouble with the sound...., but may now see my way clear to do better... Thanks for kind acceptance of my 50's-60's recording..

http://www.korgforums.com/mp3/phoenix.mp3

John (ellll)

Last edited by ellll on Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really impressed with this - a nice bit of piano, which would be my favourite part of the more traditional side of music.

it would be nice to hear the whole thing.

piano sounds very lush and real, I'm assuming you used a real piano, or something very expensive, to produce this.
and there are some interesting bits. the first part (at the start of the audio file, for the first 10 secs or so (except for the very beginning bit, which I imagine leads from something else), seems to meander a bit in a kind of nonsensical way...

when it reaches its peak, it almost doesn't sound loud enough. I know pianos sound better compressed but then in this kind of music there is usually a large dynamic range, maybe you could keep the compression but draw some more dynamics in to reflect this.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
pwmccredie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it. Sounds rather simple but its true. It takes me back to sound rooms in the Price Music Hall at NC State...where i used to sneak in the back to play for hours at night.

If you were right in the middle of the eye of the storm that's rising in this, you would be simply drunk with sound...and every time you bang it bangs back right to your chest.

Love it.
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think it sounds great, I can't really critique. It does sound improv'ed in certain spots, but overall has a beautiful fullness with lovely interlacing chords.
album cover
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well....

I feel just a tad justified today.... Thoughtful comments are a strongly sought benison for us all; Would that I could be as solid when I comment!!

In fact, as old timers well know, I am rather to the left.......... and it is who I am musically .. (no surprise..true for us all. Music well describes us!). As a result I find many things drive me, and they are not req. knowledge, lets just say my passion....for I guess...passion..

Thanks George... I know it is not rife for comment, but it made sense to post it, as it may drive me to finish this thing now....Your interest and guidance are a treasure for us all!

And pwm..I relate!...(and when young...I snuck into many churches/Cathedrals in D.C..., to play the organs... )Very Happy I confess a totally lost in wonder feel for SOUND.., even terrible sound... and I have experienced many times, the chest you mention.. (It never has blown up...at least not yet..)!!

And to X-Trade ..Thanks my friend..You related to the issue here as I intended!...However, I DO have a prob with a large dynamic.... It is my amp/transfer set-up..., and I seek something expensive in that area... The piano, I will keep, I believe...

My Best Regards..John (ellll) Very Happy
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, just listened to the piece: improv?! I would like to be able to do something similar! you're really talented.
Regards, Lorenzo
botega

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh something from the post romantic era... has some Russian influences in it... Rachmaninov... Scriabin.....

so beautiful elllll i love the passion and intensity in your works

would really love to hear the complete composition - please make it as long as you can Very Happy
Pumpkin King

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds great. I love doing piano improvisations, and you did a good job. I'd like to here the rest though.

I don't really know what else to say. Just make sure you post the finished song. Smile
joet63

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi elll, you can hear the work that you put into the music, reminds of old cinema music or a part of a scene in a film. I can't wait to hear the finished piece. I really like the music, being a huge piano fan, I love music played on a piano. Keep up the good work.

Joe
Reason 5, Record 1.5, KLC 1.2v, Korg MS2000, BR, Korg Electribe Series Mk11, Roland JV1080, Novation A Station, Novation Bass Station, Evolution 49 M/Controller, Yamaha PSR295,300,DSR 2000, E/Acoustic CPX900, Epiphone Sheraton, Suzuki Acoustic Guitar,
Washburn RB2500 Bass Guitar, Akai Pro ME30PII, Fostex Mixer, Korg DS-10, Korg PadKontrol.

www.myspace.com/joethompson63
DrWho
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ellll - that was a short clip - I was wanting more - your holding out on us.

Yes - it did feel sort of improvised - although this isn't my type of music so I really can't tell.

How did you record it? I boosted its volume as it was a bit quiet.

Cheers,

={> Art
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Art...for your listen and comments...and...

In fact, therein lies the problem, and you have made me think again....:

I recorded it in this old man's way with the track, when ready...; going to the Audacity for record, through an Equalizer and Amp..., and they are both old... However there seems to be NO noise in either one... but likely they are not a wise method...

I have been boosting the tracks and keeping the output down, then giving it the full Normalizing offered on the Audacity...Doing so...it NEVER !!!!, seems loud enough, altho' the peaks are at the limit for clipping...(?-?-?)

I passed up a chance at a good buy on a firewire set-up and the computer getting a diff card...., ....from my local store, as the money is always a problem..., but I am now looking for some new idea.....(I should add, so also would the learning curve..be a problem for me....)!!

I don't believe it is on the Computer...as it is an upper level Realtek surround sound card with a lot of variations and corrections possible and was added to this computer after the purchase as being very good for my needs....(?-?)

Perhaps you or another will TELL ME AGAIN....how should I do this? What do others use....

You have to remember, as a classical musician and director... I NEVER recorded in the old days....; the school I was with...did it FOR me... so I simply have NO experience of what I should do!!

My regards for the kind reply. Please feel free to comment on what I might be able to do, to improve..!!, including a purchase, if needed...

My Best Regards, John (ellll) Very Happy
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again..

Lorenzo, youi indeed show talemt.... But thanks so much for the kindness...You have liked things I did before and I am thankful! !!

And please forgive me, friends .., for not stopping long enough to think out the reply's sooner, other than the bit about level of recording... Rolling Eyes

So to Joe, I offer thanks for gracious comments.. you are kind...and I will try to not disappoint you....promise!

And Pumpkin King... the same...., AND ..I await a number from you.. there are some who play well...but they NEVER play for us.... I do...because it's about all I CAN do... Shocked

Botega, my friend, you pretty well detect my "influenced" person don't you?-?... I do indeed feel strongly for the Romantic period and the Russian's .., and Post Romanticism as well. I find reward however, in all genre's ..if well done..., and can say clearly.... This OSAM will be G-O-O-D with the different talent now here!!!

Thanks all ..., for your kindness...!!!

John (ellll)
GrahamBanks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice piano sound. What program do you use
It reminded me of instrumental Genesis at points, as in Firth of Fifth or After the Ordeal.
It does sound like an interlude or an introduction to something bigger...is there more to be heard later?
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Graham,

Yes... it runs 10 min or a bit more...., so I will wait 'till right to put it on....I have a tendency to be long winded on the piano... and also a bit heavy handed as well... Glad you listened.....!!

The piano is courtesy of Korg...... O1W.....

Regards!! John (ellll) Smile
Stephen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This left me wanting much more.
As a fan, I look forward to your submissions, and felt as though I was being teased.
Very Happy

The Realtek is really not suitable to high quality recording, period!
All the software you have, won't compensate for it's shortcomings in good quality audio reproduction.
As for an interface, I suggest taking a look at the E-MU 1616M.
Just one of many good quality items available, but it has top notch quality, and the Patchmix effects, at an affordable price.

More of this please!!!!
Very Happy
http://cdbaby.com/all/jstephenfoster

Location Central U.S.A.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: