Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pumpkin King - March 09

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pumpkin King

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Pumpkin King - March 09 Reply with quote

Well I guess I could say this is finished. It's called Adrenaline Machine.

I'd say this is has more of a prog metal kind of sound, or could be for a movie soundtrack... though I honestly don't know. And I'm not sure if I should add any solos in there or not. So any comments or suggestions would be great. Smile

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7412861
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the sounds and melodies are great. but I wouldn't say it sounds finished - there is a lot more to a track than just melodies and sounds

Next you should try some panning of the instruments, use of reverb and delay to give some of the instruments a sense of space. and add some bass, or give some of the instruments a more bassy edge. the overall sound seemed a bit thin at the moment, despite the number of large and heavy sounds you use. I also think the lead sound could be more upfront (but with a beat perfect delay at points), and push the drums back in the mix - currently their the main thing that seems to stand out.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Stephen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be a perfect background for a car commercial, where the car is speeding down a salt flat, spinning, negotiating curves, etc.

I agree that the low end needs more energy. I just turned the bass control up on my mixer, and it sounded much better.

I like the drums actually, and also believe that if there was more energy in the bass area, the level would be fine, then you could balance the other instruments accordingly.

Just a suggestion, but if you do add some delay on any of the instruments, as X-Trade suggested, try to match the tempo/bpm, within a few beats per minute, and I think you'll like that.

Nice work.
Regards,
http://cdbaby.com/all/jstephenfoster

Location Central U.S.A.
botega

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Pumpkin King Joe

you have a really cool energetic track here that could fit as a movie soundtrack but not only... prog metal is what it is!

a little polish of this track will definitely emphasize the "hidden" parts and bring the sound as it should be: in your face!

you already got some good advices from the friends above like using effects, panning, EQ... if you'll use these parameters wisely it will do the trick.

i was also thinking... this track will be greater with some voice&lyrics

how do you make the final mix? are you using computer DAW? or is it a straight recording from the Triton sequencer?
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello my friend,

Lots of excellent ideas flowing here indeed....The energy is non-stop, and actually the "melodic" content...., very hot here ..., is excellent as well...!!

However, I agree there is a need for more bass energy.... It would allow a "hotter yet" sound, while staying in the bounds of reasonable...., allowing a far more ambient presence for the whole song..!!

Thanks for this one...It was really tight in many ways!

My Regards, John
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the title, and the song as well. The energy is just great. And while you may want to consider some of the suggestions, I do enjoy the uncluttered smooth sound here. I wonder if more opening up would help to provide variety, where most drops out except for drums and a lead or just bass and lead, or an orchestrated part where the beat changes. I'm impressed by the overall sound here and how it gels so nicely. I do think the string synth part is too quiet.
album cover
Pumpkin King

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! I'll use the suggestions and let you all know when it's updated.

botega - If I could sing, then I'd definitely add some lyrics and vocals. But I can't. Laughing

The thing is, is that I was originally thinking of adding a different section towards the middle to slow it down. But it wouldn't sound right without any vocals, which is why most of my music never takes a break.

And all my music comes from the Triton Extreme. What I do is record it with the sequencer, save the sounds as wav files, put them to my computer, and then add some final touches with Audition or Sonar. If I had my own laptop, the process would be less time-consuming...
joet63

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe, I think there is a mixture of genre's in there and all of them good,

I liked your song, it has loads of momentum, energy and drive. i won't give you any advice as I'm a newbie at this game as well, great work.

Joe
Reason 5, Record 1.5, KLC 1.2v, Korg MS2000, BR, Korg Electribe Series Mk11, Roland JV1080, Novation A Station, Novation Bass Station, Evolution 49 M/Controller, Yamaha PSR295,300,DSR 2000, E/Acoustic CPX900, Epiphone Sheraton, Suzuki Acoustic Guitar,
Washburn RB2500 Bass Guitar, Akai Pro ME30PII, Fostex Mixer, Korg DS-10, Korg PadKontrol.

www.myspace.com/joethompson63
DrWho
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - serious energy here - really pulls you on and takes you away. I don't think I've ever heard anything quiet like this. I really like the ending sound especially Smile

What synth. and tools do you use to produce this?

={> Art
GrahamBanks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!
I agree the synth sounds could come a bit more up over the drums.
To me it sounded like this IS the solo of a bigger piece, or maybe the first movement of a sonata form piece, and the second movement would develop more of a solo on the top.

I don't mind the lack of a real bass part. Lots of prog metal gets way too overblown because 5 different instruments are all showing off at once. This piece keeps its focus better.
Pumpkin King

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again everyone. I'm considering making the string synth part a bit louder, but am unsure if I should increase the bass. I don't think I will add reverb though.

DrWho - As I said to botega, I use the Triton Extreme and it's sequencer to produce all of the melodies and sounds. Then I use Audition or Sonar to tweak some of the sounds up a bit. I mainly used Audition to edit the ending sound though.

Graham - Most of the songs I create always seem to be parts of bigger pieces of work. For ex., "Conceptual Improvisation" and "Meditation" are both works of mine that have more than a few parts to it. And I'm still working on them (or plan to eventually). But I'm trying to get away from that because it's a stressful process trying to come up with a continuous piece. I enjoy it though, and I have had thoughts of making my last work of OSAM containing parts of a few OSAM songs. Cool
pwmccredie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the ending alot...its very arrogant. It kinda seems to me like its a one sided argument, like a musical tongue lashing. Maybe some variation from the level it was on might be nice, or a drop out with the beat and a bass presence left standing.

Nice work here though.
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this kind of prog rock/metal and it's a pity you haven't a real band with you to create such kind of music!
Regards, Lorenzo
Pumpkin King

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

Lorenzo - Yeah I was in a band awhile ago. Not anymore though. But I'm happy with creating my own kind of music.
Dee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pumpkin King

I should have listened to this one when I got up this morning Shocked

Very nice rhythms and flow - and as others have said, the synth with the rising tune could stand out more, and I thought a sudden drop out of the drums somewhere near the end, and then having them blast back in, would add even more spice.

Regards from
Dee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: