Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Details of OASYS Motherboard, CPU, HD, FAN -spares sourcing?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: Details of OASYS Motherboard, CPU, HD, FAN -spares sourcing? Reply with quote

Hi -

I know this was discussed before but the thread is gone from the forum - could those who know post full and precise part details for the following OASYS components, which I'd like to now source for spares:

Motherboard
CPU
Hard Disk
Fan

Other related questions:

- Can a larger capacity HD be installed? If so - which one(s)?

- Do Korg provide the above spare parts for purchase?

- Are there other 'generic' spare parts that OASYS owners should think about acquiring?

I feel this is important to bring up again given the recently announced end to OASYS production. It'd also be useful to make this list a sticky post so those sourcing spare parts can identify what they need.

Thanks,
Kevin.
zolhof

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Kevin, funny you mention this, since my recent joystick problem I thought about asking the same.. especially what will be Korg´s policy since most O components are CPU based (and they get obsolete very quick)

you should check this post in Karma-Lab, the guy managed to install a 160GB HD:

http://www.karma-lab.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9406&highlight=inside+pictures
sirCombatWombat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe this will be on many owners minds right now, and I am interested on this information too. Will post if I find anything.

I was under the impression that low quality condensators have not been on the market for some time now though, so the mobo should be ok for awhile.

Current hardware:
OASYS 88 (EXs1-3, STR-1, LAC-1, MOD-7, EXb-DI), Haken Continuum (½), Alesis A6 Andromeda, Novation Supernova II ProX, Doepfer A-100 BS2, PC, 220lbs Anvil, 3.3lbs Hammer.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this guys story.
6 Months to get his OASYS fixed.

http://www.karma-lab.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12544

If I can lay my hands on a Mother Board, I too will be buying because I have no intentions of selling the OASYS ever.

Regards.
Sharp.
kenackr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samu,

What is a "condensator"? Or did your fingers slip when typing condensers?

@ ALL

I also would be interested in spares.

Ken
kenackr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall that there was a previous post from Martin Hines (I think) with quite a good list of parts on it.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd appreciate it if someone from Korg could answer this thread by providing the requested details. Alternatively Daz or Sharp - could you salvage the info from the previous threads that are not currently online? This is important.

Thanks,
Kevin.
Synergy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenackr wrote:
Samu,

@ ALL

Ken

Rather he probably meant capacitors. Almost all name brand manufacturers are replacing the liquid one with the Chem-con solid capacitors.
Soundsgood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synergy wrote:
kenackr wrote:
Samu,

@ ALL

Ken

Rather he probably meant capacitors. Almost all name brand manufacturers are replacing the liquid one with the Chem-con solid capacitors.

In Sweden, they are called Kondensatorer... Smile
fdspeck

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also appreciate if the information about the Oasys hardware could be centralized somewhere. To prepare myself for the time when Korg wouldn’t support the Oasys anymore I collected some information puplished in this forum and karmalab, including manuals of the motherboard and so on which I can contribute if it’s necessary. If the information would be centralized it could grow over time whenever somebody finds out something.
The information requested in this post could be found with the following link

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=29140&highlight=motherboard+linux

At the moment there are some offers for the motherboard at ebay.com.

Myself I am less concerned about the PC components of the Oasys. Drives, fans and so on are pretty much interchangable and eventually sombody will find out how to install other motherboards in it. There was one user which tried to do it but didn’t succeed

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=29115&highlight=motherboard+linux

I’m more concerned about the components which are proprietary Korg especially those which have custom chips on it. I only hope that such chips would be used in other Korg instruments too which could be a donor when Korg doesn’t offer those chips anymore. I would very much intersted if someone could get hold of a service manual.

I replaced my harddisk with a Samsung HM160HC. I did some research to find a harddisk with good performance values. Changing the harddisk is pretty easy if you know how to do it, you don’t have to disassemble the whole Oasys. For cloning of the disk I used Acronis True Image (one user recommended Acronis Disk Director in the past but that didn’t work for me). If there is interest I could write a tutorial how to do it.

-Frank-
sirCombatWombat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soundsgood wrote:
Synergy wrote:
kenackr wrote:
Samu,

@ ALL

Ken

In Sweden, they are called Kondensatorer... Smile

That's what you get when typoing while tired, it's 'kondensaattori' in Finnish. Smile

And yes, I believe capacitor is the proper term.

Current hardware:
OASYS 88 (EXs1-3, STR-1, LAC-1, MOD-7, EXb-DI), Haken Continuum (½), Alesis A6 Andromeda, Novation Supernova II ProX, Doepfer A-100 BS2, PC, 220lbs Anvil, 3.3lbs Hammer.
kenackr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samu & soundsgood,

Thank you for the information on condensator. I wondered briefly if it was spelled differently in Nordic languages.

For those who care, many people in the states still uses the word "condenser" interchangeably with capacitor. The term condenser was used when when people still thought of electricity as a fluid. Early experiments with the Leyden jar led people to call the device an "electrical condenser".

"A capacitor (historically known as a "condenser") is a device that stores energy in an electric field, by accumulating an internal imbalance of electric charge." Wiki encyclopedia.

Consider also the ever present condenser microphone. Typically the dielectric in them is air. But the name is stuck on them for good.

Synergy, there are a significant number of dielectrics in use in capacitors today. In essence, almost anything with electrical carrying plates separated by an insulator can be considered a capacitor. I used the term condenser in asking Samu the question to see if there was indeed a continued use of the term in his language.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi -

I'm just bumping this up again. Could I ask that responses be only from Korg, Daz, Sharp and others who actually have part details for:

OASYS Motherboard, CPU, Fan, HD

...and could I ask those who can to actually post those details? Sorry to be a stickler on this but its important and now increasingly urgent - the clock is ticking and we need to pin these details down - it's for the benefit of us all.

Much appreciated!

Thanks,
Kevin.
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My plan is to build a dedicated Oasys resource page/site where all this information is collated. I have family visiting at the moment, so it's not something I'll be getting to yet. It IS something I really want to do, even if only for my benefit Wink

Daz.
fdspeck

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Could I ask that responses be only from Korg, Daz, Sharp and others who actually have part details for:

OASYS Motherboard, CPU, Fan, HD

Kevin, just follow the link I gave in my post above and beside the fan all of your questions concerning the hardware are answered. Whenever I find out something about other components I will post it. I would consider the touchscreen also as a crucial component, but maybe other models will work as well.

For the harddisk I could add that my Oasys was once serviced by the German Korg distributor. They replaced the original Fujitsu MHT2040AT disk with a Hitachi HTS541040G9AT00. But as I wrote the harddisk is pretty much interchangable and many ATA/100 compatible models will work. When I upgraded to 160GB (Samsung HM160HC) I chose the model based on the criteria of performance (data transfer rate) and noise while maintaining the low power consumption of the Fujitsu disk. Later it was showed that the loading times were not as much improved as I hoped for. There was some improvement compared to the Hitachi disk (which may also were an improvement compared with the Fujitsu) but not as much as performance tests with the disks on a PC would have suggested. I think that shows that the data tranfer rate of the Samsung exceeds the rate of what the current software implementation is able to process. No need to build in a faster disk than the Samsung because the software can't take advantage of it.

-Frank-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: